Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFRICA, AFRICA AFRI..............  (Read 2913 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »

Good GRIEF Charlie Brown Roll Eyes.........  Cant someone activate something besides AFRICA (or a few Carribean stations I could reach with 2 cans and a string)?  This sucks.

E3 and/or the French Islands would be nice. Rest of the mainland?  Doesnt everyone have all of them?Huh?

BORED and wanting an ATNO in FLORIDA Cool

73, Gene AF3Y

Well for those of us NOT in Florida and can't see Africa out our front window Wink I like the idea of having AF activiated. There are still a bunch of AF countries I still need and I, for one, like to hear AF on as much as possible. Now I can almost say your story but substitute JA vice AF Smiley I can work JA almost anytime, day or night from my QTH.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »

Ahh, W5DQ, I remember my time in central CA well 25 years ago.  It was the peak of that cycle in 1979, and I remember working JA and UA0 on Saturday night in the CQ WW DX SSB and CW contests on 15 meters at midnight local.  With a dipole at 20 feet and 100 watts.  EU was difficult from there, but every time I called CQ I had several JA or UA0 stations coming back to me.  I miss that.  A lot.  Would I trade the (sort of) chip-shot to Africa from East Coast?  No.  But I remember those times fondly.  The Pacific seemed like a big pond, and nothing was out of reach into Asia.
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »

HA0NAR has given me 6W on all 3 WARC bands in the past couple of days for 3 new band countries!  I don't think Senegal has been authorized to use the WARC bands for very long.  Now to get the 5X, 9U and XT for some new band and RTTY countries. 

If you are tired of Africa, it looks like there are quite a few Pacific DXpeditions coming up in the next few months.  I already have the pacific closed out for countries, but still need 6O on the continent of Africa, plus quite a few of the Islands, including ZD9, 3C0, ZS8, 3Y0B, VK0H, FR/G, and all of the FT5s.

John AF5CC
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »

The Doctor is a great OP and he always has a good signal from Africa.

Chris/NU1O
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 09:55:35 PM »

Ahh, W5DQ, I remember my time in central CA well 25 years ago.  It was the peak of that cycle in 1979, and I remember working JA and UA0 on Saturday night in the CQ WW DX SSB and CW contests on 15 meters at midnight local.  With a dipole at 20 feet and 100 watts.  EU was difficult from there, but every time I called CQ I had several JA or UA0 stations coming back to me.  I miss that.  A lot.  Would I trade the (sort of) chip-shot to Africa from East Coast?  No.  But I remember those times fondly.  The Pacific seemed like a big pond, and nothing was out of reach into Asia.

Still like that but looks like I'll be a bit closer to AF in a short few years if all goes the course we've laid out. We're planning to retire back to Northeast Texas in 5 or so years (maybe sooner if the CA economy tanks like it is on the verge of doing). Then I'll be in the thick of the annual 6M 'bloodbath' I sit and watch with great desire every summer Es season. HF should be much better too as I need many EU and AF areas still.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: