Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when i pass my ticket  (Read 3057 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »

There are only three things you can do to get the best ham radio experience:

1.  Get a good antenna.

2.  No, you have to get a better antenna than that.

3.  No, not yet, get an even better antenna, the best you can afford and fit on your property.

And, unfortunately, even if you do the above, you will find out after a little while on the air, you should have spent extra and put up a better antenna.

I have a really limited space with which to put up anything and I have spent easily an extra $1500 to get the additional power so that I can make up for the best antenna I could fit.

Sam
W9KDX
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »

As some have stated before, QRP works great with CW. I built my K1 before getting my ticket and had my first QSO using CW. I rarely use SSB. So far, it's been  six months, and I have never experienced any frustration using only a few Watts. SSB would be a different story, no doubt. It all depends on what you want. I am not into contests or DX, so I don't care if I don't make a contact. I just want to chat. I have used a little as 100mW for a 830 miles contact, and it worked fine. Not using a beam antenna either.. If you like the challenge and are patient, or simply don't want to spend a lot, QRP CW is the way to go... You can buy a CW transceiver kit for $30, how can you beat that?!

Gil.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:14 PM »

Get a 100 watt radio.  If you turn it down to 5 watts to QRP then so be it.  But don't get stuck w/ only 5 watts when you can have 100 for about the same money.  When you're not making contacts w/ 5 watts then crank it up to 100 and start making some.  Best of both worlds.

Rick  wn2c
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: