The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Ronald D. Styles KG4QLR  (Read 18244 times)
WD6FGB

Ignore
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »

I PURCHASED A ICOM706MK11G FOR $425.00 FROM RONALD D. STYLES KG4QLR IN EASLEY, SC. ON 6/1/11.
HE ALSO SOLD THE SAME RADIO TO RUSS HAINES  W4AFB IN FL. FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY.
NEITHER OF US HAVE RECEIVED THE RADIO OR OUR MONEY BACK. JUST A LOT OF EXCUSES AND SOB STORIES WHEY HE DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO SEND US. I HAVE PLENTY OF PROOF NOW SHOWING HE HAD NO INTENT OF HONORING THE DEAL. ADVISE YOU NOT TO DO ANY BUSINESS WITH HIM.
VAN
WD6FGB
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:44:16 PM »

I'd advise BOTH buyers who were ripped off to:
File a complaint with the police department in your area.
Then call or write and file a police complaint against the seller in HIS area.
(The police in his area typically will want to see that you
filed as victim first in your area. Get and keep a copies of filed complaints).

If anything was sent by mail (payments, agreements) contact the US Postal Inspection
Service's fraud department. Interstate mail fraud if a federal felony.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactUs/filecomplaint.aspx

If the Internet was involved in any way (emails, etc) file a fraud complaint
with IC3 = Internet Crime Complaint Center:
http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Will you get your money back? Probably not. But you WILL get this guy's
name, address,etc in the Gov't database of scammers. And if he is caught later
on, they may have enough evidence to prosecute. (Or enough paper evidence
to scare him into confessing)

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI),
the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).

GL and 73. Ken  AD6KA

WA0ZZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:16:16 PM »

Did some checking.   The address looks current.  His Amateur license is due to expire at the end of this year.  You can write the FCC and request a review before it's renewed.  He does have a record. It shows up in Pickens County 13th circuit court records under a different address.  You may also want to contact that county sheriff's office.
Good luck.
Dave WA0ZZG
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:56:32 PM »

Did some checking.   The address looks current.  His Amateur license is due to expire at the end of this year.  You can write the FCC and request a review before it's renewed.  He does have a record. It shows up in Pickens County 13th circuit court records under a different address.  You may also want to contact that county sheriff's office.Good luck. Dave WA0ZZG

Good detective work David! Check it out:
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/scjd/publicindex/SCJDPublicIndex39/PISearch.aspx?CourtType=G

EDIT: OOPS, My bad:
You Gotta Type in the Name RONALD D. STYLES for
the charges to come up, no direct linky with the name info already loaded.

He Pled Guilty to EIGHT Forgery Charges on 6/04/2002
Cases Numbers G560609 thru G560616:
2427-FORGERY/<$5,000    Sentence: 2 YRS SUS 30 DYS 3 YRS PROB REST ORDER
Typical slap on the wrist. Two years suspended sentence, serves 30 days 3 years probation and a restraining order

Charges Dismissed at Preliminary Hearing 1/7/1999
0646-TELEPHONE/UNLAWFUL USE OF TELEPHONE
0079-BURGLARY-1ST DEGREE
0480-LARCENY/PETIT OR SIMPLE LARCENY

I would most definitely contact the sheriff's office in his area.
They are MUCH more likely to persue this case if they know he's
been charged and/or convicted of theft & fraud type charges before.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:12:04 PM by AD6KA » Logged
KC9TNH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »

Some other intel also indicates this may be a 'swapmeet' version of a very common internet scam. Complain loud enough and maybe you might get a pittance back in a check, with "Reimbursement for....." in the memo line.

DO NOT CASH such a check, but continue to pursue your claim. You cash that check it could be construed that you have just conceded being reimbursed. Caveat emptor and if the little hairs wiggle on the back of your neck, trust them. Fortunately much less common in the amateur radio service but, as an old sergeant told me, there's always one more knucklehead than you counted on.

That's a bummer for both parties; I've got QSO card from W4AFB too.

Wes -KC9TNH
"Don't get treed by a chihuahua." - Pete
KC2DMH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:09:20 AM »

I made an error, and befriended Ron. I gave him 60 feet of Rohn 45G, a TH-6DX, a 2 meter Amp, tower hardware, and assorted small parts and equipment.  - all surplus to my needs. He wanted to buy my T2X, and I trusted him to send me 400.00, as he promised. Promises, and more promises. Excuses and lies. He never got a check out, won't answer Emails, and refused a request to return my rotator. This guy is bad news, a real creep! I'm going through lung cancer, gave him 1500.00 worth of free stuff, and only wanted to be reimbursed for my rotator. I treated this man like a son, and he turned and screwed me! This is not a Ham, by any stretch of the imagination. He is a disingenuous, dishonest, self-serving creep. AVOID HIM!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:12:39 AM by KC2DMH » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:14:40 AM »

I made an error, and befriended Ron. I gave him 60 feet of Rohn 45G, a TH-6DX, a 2 meter Amp, tower hardware, and assorted small parts and equipment.  - all surplus to my needs. He wanted to buy my T2X, and I trusted him to send me 400.00, as he promised. Promises, and more promises. Excuses and lies. He never got a check out, won't answer Emails, and refused a request to return my rotator. This guy is bad news, a real creep! I'm going through lung cancer, gave him 1500.00 worth of free stuff, and only wanted to be reimbursed for my rotator. I treated this man like a son, and he turned and screwed me! This is not a Ham, by any stretch of the imagination. He is a disingenuous, dishonest, self-serving creep. AVOID HIM!

That is classic psychopath! They troll the waters looking for people that will extend sympathy in response for their sob stories and then they exploit them every way they can. I just got taken in by an insurance salesman. So far I've been able to get Wells Fargo to claw back my initial payment and block all future payments.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

The first several posts were in 2011 some 7 years ago. Then there was no additional posts for 7 years. Then a day ago there were two new posts about this guy. I guess that means this guy is still screwing people.

Dick AD4U
K7FU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »

He is selling a TS-480HX on a Facebook Ham Swap and Sell group. Price is too good to be true possibly. Still using his call sign.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: