Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF contact!  (Read 1673 times)
KF5PGT

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:26:03 PM »

I made my first contact on HF today! On 10 meters the band opened up long enough for me to check into a net with net control in Reno, Nevada. I used my homebrew dipole and 25 watts.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me sort everything out and get on the air!
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:43:08 PM »

That's great!!!

Be very careful though, it's highly contagious and once caught extremely hard to get rid of.....GRIN

Clif
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:23:17 PM »

Nothing like that first contact!  Keep at it, call CQ often, and listen!  Those contacts will add up fast.
N9ZMO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »

Great to hear. 10m is still my overall favorite band to operate on.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »

Congratulations!  You're in for a world of fun!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »

PGT:  Congratulations!!  The first one is always memorable.....one you will never forget.

If and or whenever you see the movie, "Contact," can you appreciate the reaction and emotions of the main character, Dr. "Ellie" Arroway when she makes her "first contact."
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:08 PM »

Congrats. There is nothing like that first QSO. My hands were shaking so bad I could barely send the correct characters on my old straight key. I just sat looking at my rig and my dipole up 11 feet thinking how cool that was!
Keep it up and I hope to hear you on the air sometime!
73 de KE7WAV
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »

PGT:  Congratulations!!  The first one is always memorable.....one you will never forget.

I wish I could remember who was my first contact - I actually did forget  Grin

I got my first taste of DX on 6 meters; same kind of unpredictability as 10. Talking to locals one minute, the next there's a guy halfway across the country calling CQ 5KHz up Smiley
K4EZD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »

Congratulations!  I remember when I got my first HF contact.  I sent out a QSL card with a stamped SASE with a note that this was my first contact.  I never got a return card and never heard back.   Sad

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »

Congratulations! I remember mine vividly, I was 15 years old and using my Dad's(the original W4HIJ) Drake TR-4 hooked up to my very own key, with a navy knob, Dad didn't like a navy knob and I did. We also had different preference for the feel of the key and he didn't want me to get his "out of adjustment". Anyway, I sent out  a slow measured CQ and almost instantly got an answer back. I was in Georgia and the other guy was in Arkansas and 16 years old!! I was so nervous I could not copy but I had the good fortune of my Dad standing in the background copying in his head and giving me "fills". Sadly, I no longer have the QSL card, it got lost in the shuffle along the way between 15 and 50 but I'll never forget the contact.
Michael, W4HIJ
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

That's great.

Hope you have many, many more for years to come.

Nothing like talking to the world via HF.

73, N4KZ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »

My first contact was about 1 1/2 years ago.  Had seen an unbuilt hw101 on ebay before that and decided to buy it, build it and study for my license.  Well I was so excited for my first contact I replied to someones CQ as CQ CQ CQ" He gave me heck but quickly warmed up when I told him he was my first.  Sadly I never got a qsl, he went sk shortly afterwards.
My second contact a few minutes after him was to Russia.  I was hooked.  Now a year and a half later I have 189 entities and 170 confirmed.  Fun hobby

VA2FSQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: