Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First HF rig, Kenwood TS-570DG or Yaesu FT-450AT  (Read 2539 times)
WD1R

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

I have the option of one of these two for about the same price. They both look like fine units, both have 4.6/5 reviews, and I am pouring over the specs to compare them but I am just overwhelmed. I am really leaning towards the Kenwood at this point mainly because I really like the display and layout of the controls more.

This will be my first ever HF rig, I currently own a  Yaesu VX-8GR. Eventually I will want to try my hand at some digital modes so that is a consideration. Whichever I decide on will be used for base only, no mobile or field use for now.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

Allan
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:43 AM »

Go with what you like if they are comparable.

I have a FT450AT , it has some DSP features not usually found in a radio in its price range.
The display is large and bright , its small, has 160-6 plus the sensitivity specs rival those of more expensive rigs.
Apparently, the FT450 has become so popular, that it now sells for $200 more than I paid for mine!

Some folks don't like multifunction buttons and sub menus, which this little rig has due to FP space limitations.
Once you get used to it, it's not an issue because most of the sub menu stuff is "set and forget" anyway.

TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »

Of the two I would pick the Kenwood, I don't like that black & white display on the Yaesu.

Tanakasan
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »

I have owned both and my preference was the Kenwood. I like the ergonomics better. It's larger, the display is easier on the eyes, doesn't require as much use of the menus, and the menu system is much more intuitive. The minuses of the TS-570DG are that it only holds one additional IF filter so you have to pick either a 1.8KHz for SSB or a 500/250Hz for CW. A filter will cost you $70-100. You can use the narrow CW filter while running digital modes; this is quite helpful when running in crowded conditions.

The pluses of the FT450 are that it has a roofing filter that might help with nearby interference and the IF filters are DSP based so there is no additional cost. However, you can't use the narrow filter while running digital modes. You can with the FT-450D but not the older FT-450AT.

Ray
W5KG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:36 AM »

I have had both rigs and I think the FT450 is the better of the two. DSP is IF on Yeasu and AF on the Kenwood. The "black/white" read out can be changed. At least on the FT450. There is a hidden menu on the 450 I don't know about the 450D. Also, the FT450 does a far better with noise, period. The TS570 is easier to use as far as the menu goes and more pleasent to look at.
There is one other rig you might take a look at and that is the Kenwood TS480. I think I like it a little better than the 570.
Thanks my opinion for what it is worth.
Don, W5KG  
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »

The 570 is a solid performer that is easy to use and has a nice feel too. Like large easy to read display I have used mine for 13 years now and it has been trouble free. The FT-450 was/is designed as a cheap entry level radio while 570 was not in its day.  As far as 480 goes it is a much better rig than FT 450 and above 570 too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »

I love my 570.  Won't part with it.  Don't have the FT450 but I did play with it several times in Ham Radio Outlet store.  It felt "cheap" with the controls and feel (sorry, just my opinion, but I did not like it).  Now I LOVE the FT817/857/897 line and I have an FT817, so I don't feel like I am a Yaesu bigot.

I also have the TS480SAT and love that even more than the 570.  I use it for mobile and remote base operations.  It does everything for me (digital, weak signal CW, SSB).

The IF versus AF DSP is a valid point.  I have never messed with the IF DSP on Yaesu, so I can't comment.  How much would that make a difference?  Will you be doing weak signal DXing on CW or contesting?  if you're really serious about that, then you'll want a higher class of rig like FT2000 or K3 or an ICOM higher order (or even a Flex).  But those are WAY more expensive.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »

The problem with IF DSP is how it is implemented. It's mere presence does not mean cutting edge performance. When cheaply does (like in FT450) it's overall performance is below that of a well designed and mature analog IF rig.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WD1R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

Well since there was no real clear reason not to get the Kenwood (I have no plans on CW or contesting at all), and I really liked the Kenwood radios I have had in the past, I went ahead and bought the 570. It is already on its way!

Now I just have to pick up an antenna and some coax!

Thanks for all the replies.

Allan
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »

Allan

Congrats.  Recommend joining the Yahoo group for the 570.  Also, there is free software for controlling it (I don't have the link, but it's from kenwood).  Also, if you want to do some digital work...check out the SignaLink USB.  Lots of free digital comms software out there too.  And Serial to USB adapter to connect the PC USB to the serial connector on the back of the rig.

Keep us posted on progress!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: