Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General vs Specialized Club?  (Read 9987 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:18:37 AM »

Let me follow-up on my previous questions about clubs with this discussion topic:

I've looked at the FCC ULS database for club licenses. The variety of club names suggest that many are general clubs --- the ARC variety --- while others seem to have a specialized focus --- such as QRP, DX, DXpedition, etc.

What do you enjoy? Are you a member of one or the other? Or both?

Frank
K4FMH
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »

Ok, let me try to spark some discussion...

If you're in a QRP group, are you also in a "general" ARC?

Frank
K4FMH
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »

I've looked at the FCC ULS database for club licenses. The variety of club names suggest that many are general clubs --- the ARC variety --- while others seem to have a specialized focus --- such as QRP, DX, DXpedition, etc.

What do you enjoy? Are you a member of one or the other? Or both?

Frank,
I'm the trustee for N2MO, located on the former Camp Evans - now known as InfoAge.   Our Club is deliberately non-specific.   We have members who prefer QRP,  a handful that prefer digital, including EME, a bunch of CW aficionados, and a couple of homebrewers (including myself) .  The N2MO station itself reflects the membership in setup and modes.

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:31:51 PM by W2RWJ » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

Martin,

Thanks....Just so there's no confusion to anyone, my Q isn't slanted toward or another. I'm preparing a Delta Division ARRL Survey and part of it will involves clubs...so I'm just collecting some insights here on various aspects of club "life" since folks tend to be very forthcoming, etc.

73 de K4FMH
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »

Frank,
Glad to be of help. 

73 Martin Flynn
W2RWJ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »

Most clubs these days are general purpose--unless there is a group of hams who are all interested in one specific thing usually tied to some activity in the club's area.  These days, with the way the hobby is going, it's harder and harder to get a group together with just one specific thing in mind, let alone get a group together that can all agree to form a club!
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:53:25 PM »

Which one are you a member of?

Frank
K4FMH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »

Frank,  I'm a member of...none of them.  Of the clubs in my area, one seem to want to switch objectives and purposes too much--and it's been taken over by out of towners since it has a cell tower on its property that assures a steady income to it.  Another is run by one person who has to have his way, and if you don't agree with him, he has a hissy fit and blacklists you.

No, I stay to myself and get the enjoyment out of the aspects of ham radio that I like.  A few of us meet for breakfast every so often and chew the fat then.  It works out to be much better than a club type association ever did.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »

K1CJS,

thanks...great disclosure. One thing I'm working on both in the eHam Forums and through the ARRL surveys conducted by the Delta Division is the context of leadership in amateur radio clubs. In our 2011 survey, the respondents seemed split into about half of those currently in clubs and those who are not. "Bad" leadership---however they defined it---seemed to be a key thing in those who are not members.

Getting a sense in these comments here about what various hams want in a Club, if they hold interest in Clubs at all, will help leadership at large do a better job.

Frank
K4FMH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

One other thing, Frank, if you think it can help your objective at all.  All too many club members want the benefits that the club--whichever kind it is--may offer, yet shun the responsibilities that should go with them.  

An example--one club sponsored event featured a flea market among other things.  Nobody wanted to run it, though, and the person who did finally volunteer went through a great deal of anguish at the flea market and afterward.  It seems that although the donations for the flea were many, none of them had a price on them and the other members offered no guidance to the person doing the sales.  Afterwards, however, there was a good deal of criticism because the guy running it took offers that he thought were good--but the others thought were low.  That guy ended up leaving that club shortly afterward.

It was more or less the same in the club I mentioned was taken over.  None of the longer time members wanted to run for office until it was all too evident what the writing on the wall was.  THEN those members tried to do something, but it was far too late, and the club ended up run by those out of towners.

Lackadaisical attitudes, indifference to situations and the like are all club killers.  The way the membership numbers seem to be dropping at various clubs all around--including larger organizations like the ARRL (their membership numbers aren't keeping up with the increased numbers of ham radio licensees) just go to show that the general society sickness called "The Me First Syndrome" is getting worse.

73 and take care!
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »

One other thing, Frank, if you think it can help your objective at all.  All too many club members want the benefits that the club--whichever kind it is--may offer, yet shun the responsibilities that should go with them.  

An example--one club sponsored event featured a flea market among other things.  Nobody wanted to run it, though, and the person who did finally volunteer went through a great deal of anguish at the flea market and afterward.  It seems that although the donations for the flea were many, none of them had a price on them and the other members offered no guidance to the person doing the sales.  Afterwards, however, there was a good deal of criticism because the guy running it took offers that he thought were good--but the others thought were low.  That guy ended up leaving that club shortly afterward.

It was more or less the same in the club I mentioned was taken over.  None of the longer time members wanted to run for office until it was all too evident what the writing on the wall was.  THEN those members tried to do something, but it was far too late, and the club ended up run by those out of towners.

Lackadaisical attitudes, indifference to situations and the like are all club killers.  The way the membership numbers seem to be dropping at various clubs all around--including larger organizations like the ARRL (their membership numbers aren't keeping up with the increased numbers of ham radio licensees) just go to show that the general society sickness called "The Me First Syndrome" is getting worse.

73 and take care!

Yes, apathy is rampant in our area Radio clubs too.  When I was the pres for a year, I would ask folks to take on clubs tasks, but the requests fell on deaf ears. I even had one fellow tell me " I have never volunteered to do anything for the club nor do I intend to start now". Nice huh?  After a few more experiences like that I couldn't wait for my term to be up!
People don't seem seem to have a sense of "community" anymore.

On the other side of that coin are the clubs who have an entrenched cadre of people that control everything and more or less lock the other members out of decision making and participation in anything else, other than physical labor.
You just know your suggestions will go nowhere. Don't ask questions either! The cadre is like a club within a club.

I joined a few clubs to work side by side with other HAMS on some common project or club goal. None have really worked out to be that experience so far. I have been asking for 2 years  to go see the a club's repeater installation ( I offered to assist if need as well) when they go up, but to date, never got an invite. I find myself wondering why should I bother with a club at all?

W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

I I have been asking for 2 years  to go see the a club's repeater installation.

Is the repeater on a secure site (public safety site) or commercial broadcast tower?  Might be a reason behind this.  Ask the trustee directly.

Martin
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »

I I have been asking for 2 years  to go see the a club's repeater installation.

Is the repeater on a secure site (public safety site) or commercial broadcast tower?  Might be a reason behind this.  Ask the trustee directly.

Martin

No, it's a commercial site. There is no reason why they don't include requesting members other than they don't bother to do so.
Besides, if security was the problem, wouldn't I have been informed all of those times when I made the request at the meetings? "The crew" was there every time I asked.
I was told that they let me know when they are going.
At this point, I no longer give a hoot . I got the message. Only the anointed are allowed in the temple...

W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

No, it's a commercial site. There is no reason why they don't include requesting members other than they don't bother to do so.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully there is a nearby club that's more to your liking.   

Martin

PS - We are moving a machine to a public safety site and this is a snag we are running into. (access limited to a small group by necessity).  I was wondering if that's what you were up against.

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

AC2EU:

"On the other side of that coin are the clubs who have an entrenched cadre of people that control everything and more or less lock the other members out of decision making and participation in anything else, other than physical labor.
You just know your suggestions will go nowhere. Don't ask questions either! The cadre is like a club within a club."

Thanks for this disclosure. I just resigned from the Board of a club rife with this pattern. I stayed through the annual hamfest since I was Forums Coordinator.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: