Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectrum Analyser Uses  (Read 1067 times)
GM8UPI

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:51:22 AM »

Looking for ideas on using my HP141T with 8554B plug-in (100Khz - 1.2Ghz) as a band spectum monitor on receive.
I have a couple of HF rigs (FT-847 & TS-520) where this monitoring facility, on the band in use, would be handy.
Is this feasable I wonder ? At what point in the RX chain could I tap into a suitable signal ?
(I would of course want to be sure not to "blow" the SA front end !!!!)
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Regards
Dave
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »

Problem with the 8554B is that the 1500MHz oscillator is swept for medium width sweeps and left to free run for narrow ones - and it drifts! One of my long term plans is to phase lock it on the sweep widths where it is not swept.

So you would need to tap off after the first mixer and prior to the first IF filter, and bear in mind that it will drift. You would be better off with the 110 MHz plug in.

Even then, you'll have a big heavy piece of equipment taking up bench space.

BTW, I like the 141 spectrum analyser. No blasted menu driven settings! But it needs an operator who knows what he or she is doing....
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »

OK. Understand about drift, although once the SA has "warmed up" I would think it may be ok for general band spectrum monitoring.
Unfortunately I do not have a 100Mhz plug-in. (I do have the rather rare 0 - 300Khz Audio plug-in, not much use for this application !!!)
Will try some experiments, taking great care of course, not to "blow" the SA front mixer, by using a diode limiter etc, !!
Love the 141. It has pride of place on my workbench.

Dave
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:47:01 AM »

The 0-300kHz plug in is one I keep looking for....and the 1.2 GHz tracking generator. I have the 110 MHz one.
GM8UPI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:20:24 AM »

For G3RZP. OK on your plug-ins etc. I use the audio plug-in on regular basis for, (would you believe) audio testing !!!
I also have an HP8601 110Mhz Sig Gen, which can be used with the 141 as tracking gen. Very useful for filter testing etc.
Enjoy your 141T.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: