Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap wire source.  (Read 3980 times)
DWEBB5

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »

Can you give me  some sources for inexpensive antenna wire?

I am looking to buy 12 AWG solid copper clad steel,  and maybe something lighter such as as 14 AWG antenna wire with 7 strands of copper-clad steel.
Maybe as much as 500 ft each.  Who would you recommend that I purchase this from?

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:11 PM »

Inexpensive copper wire was when I could buy 500 feet of 14 AWG for about $20.
Copper commodity prices have risen past 20 years, as China's usage of copper increased.

Personal choice, I prefer 14 AWG STRANDED (at least 7 strand).
I am NOT a believer in Solid Copper-weld (memory effect),
IF you desire Copper over Steel wire -- use a stranded wire.
You can use the 100' or 500' THHN copper wire (choose the insulation color)
found in the Electrical Department at your Big Box store.

Pres Jones, N8UG at The Wireman (SC) has a good selection of antenna wires.
http://thewireman.com/antennap.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:05:46 PM by W9GB » Logged
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »

Concur with W9GB: buy wire at thewireman.com  Great company to deal with.  Most of my antennas are insulated 14ga flexweave, which is wonderful, flexible, and easy to work with. 

73, Tony
W4IOW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »

I've had good success going to the local scrap dealer. Tell them what your looking for and they usually have something to fit the bill. I bought clean, insulated single 0 stranded copper for 68 cents a foot last summer. They sell by the pound so it is significantly cheaper than going to a store or an on line vendor. The best part is, they buy back what you don't need.

Good luck,
Ray W4IOW
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:16:44 AM »

Are you looking for "Surplus wire" It sounds like you are running radial wires. Google Surplus
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:46 AM »

As W4IOW says: local scrap metal dealer by the pound (cheap) or where I get mine,at the local landfill metal set aside pile (free).
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »

What do you consider to be inexpesive and what are you planning on doing with the wire?
DWEBB5

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:02:46 AM »

If you look at the wireman's website he posts the prices by the foot.  Are there any other dealers that are doing this?
I have a few sources of scrap, but I cannot be sure of the quality, or even the materials.
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »

You can buy a 500 ft roll of #14 copperweld from the wireman for around 50 bucks. That price will be hard to beat. If you catch a hamfest nearby you could save shipping. You did not answer what you were going to use it for. Steel wire would last several years and is cheaper. Anything with copper today is high priced. http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guardian-14-Guage-Galvanized-Steel/dp/B00442QSBK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1360854103&sr=8-12&keywords=electric+fence+wire
As for pricing by the foot , many  radio supply dealers do this and the price goes down the more one would buy.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:04:43 AM by K4RVN » Logged
K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 07:48:22 AM »

"What do you consider to be inexpensive and what are you planning on doing with the wire?"

The reason why I asked that question is because I bought 500 feet of Wireman #531 @ 30 cents a foot including shipping.  In my view that is not inexpensive, but it is insulated antenna wire that I run through trees, goes through storms, gets built up with ice, has had 4 inch branches literally "crashing" on top of  it, hanging from it, and has survived without any visible signs of wear for 8 years now.  It is tough stuff and the only wire that has stood the test of time in my particular application which is a 230 foot run, no center support, suspended by a pulley at one end with a 100 pound weight hanging from it.

Not inexpensive maybe, but considering the beating I expect it to endure it ends up being a pretty good deal.

73, BJ
k0cwo
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

If you look at the wireman's website he posts the prices by the foot.  Are there any other dealers that are doing this?
I have a few sources of scrap, but I cannot be sure of the quality, or even the materials.
Every ham dealer sells wire by the foot.  This isn't a new development!  Smiley
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »

I just bought 140' of 14g 7 strand hard drawn copper from The Wireman over the weekend to put my buddy's doublet back up. Not springy like steel core copper, which is what I have up in the air. Copperclad steel can be a beast to tame, even if it's stranded.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 06:44:44 AM »

I've had good success going to the local scrap dealer.

I've had good luck going to the local TV cable company. My local cable TV installer just gave me a bunch of 75 ohm coax. Some of it has a steel messenger wire that is useful for supporting antenna elements made from coax or for sending a current up to a relay at the antenna feedpoint. A dipole that uses the outside braid of coax as the radiator is slightly more broad-banded than a thin wire.
DWEBB5

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »

This is the eHam forum. I thought it was obvious what I was going to do with it.  Long wire, dipole, and ground radials for Antennas.

Please posters cut the sarcastic remarks. It makes it difficult to tell if you are trying to answer my question or just confuse others. It is also insulting.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 06:42:27 AM »

Re: DWEBB5

Your topic [CHEAP WIRE SOURCE], I have reread the posts here and fail to see any outright sarcasm or insults but only different hams thoughts and experiences on obtaining CHEAP WIRE for antenna purposes. I am sorry that you feel this way towards responders of your topic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:45:25 AM by W1JKA » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: