Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap wire source.  (Read 3513 times)
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 04:04:53 PM »

DWEBB5

Sigh.  What do you expect, guy?  

There are dozens and dozens of reputable ham and wire dealers.  There is no "One Right Answer".  If there was, we would all buy there and the other dealers would  be out of business.

"Cheap" and "Suitable for your use" can only be determined in your mind.  You've already obviously rejected several perfectly good suggestions.

The Wireman is probably the most respected and knowledgable
HRO
AES
DX Engineering
Radio Works
Jefa Tech   (friend of mine)
Universal Radio
http://www.therfc.com/    RF Connection, Maryland
eHam Advertisers  
QST
CQ
QTH.com
Ebay

You gotta do your own homework.  We can't read your mind.

Even with the high price of copper these days, the price of coax, for example is far cheaper than it was 20 years ago, and the quality and selection much better. I can't compare copper wire as it lasts so long that price is really never a factor for me.  However quality is.  

Good luck on your quest.  b.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:11:44 PM by KB4QAA » Logged
DWEBB5

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »

THAT is finally what I asked for!

I thought the question was simple enough.
I DID my homework!
I already knew about the wireman and eBay , scrapyards.
I have bought several items from Universal Radio, and have been there several times.
Is listing 3 that you have bought from too hard?
Posting a link to their website would be helpful.

I was asking for OTHER sources , and recommendations.
Thank you, to those that did.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 09:33:26 PM »

Is listing 3 that you have bought from too hard?

We're not here to spoon feed you information, especially when we can't possibly know what information you are missing.

If you want better answers, ask better questions.

73 de N4CR, Phil

We are Coulomb of Borg. Resistance is futile. Voltage, on the other hand, has potential.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »

I think I've used almost any/every kind of wire for antennas over the years.  The only type that I had any particular trouble with was electric fence wire.  Not that it isn't a good enough conductor, but because of mechanical problems, @#$ stuff kinks.
The business I was in dealt with a lot of downed phone lines and gathering the pieces made for some very strong antennas!  (Just short the two conductors.)  It could certainly be a mechanical nightmare, but it was free!  Know any telephone company people??
I've ended up with typical THHN 14 ga. single for most antennas lately.  It's easy to find, comes in several colors, and is cheaper than others (cheap is relative!).
Have I noticed any particular wire being more 'broad banded' than others?  Nope, and in most cases I didn't care.  Depends on what you expect I guess?  Most of the time the antenna(s) weren't resonant anyway so it's not that big of a biggy.
Good luck!
 - Paul

(The places I'd look for wire have already been mentioned so why repeat them?)
DWEBB5

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

This is the eHam forum. I thought it was obvious what I was going to do with it.

N4CR why are you being an @$$?  Was the question to difficult for you?
Please posters cut the sarcastic remarks. It makes it difficult to tell if you are trying to answer my question or just confuse others. It is also insulting.

Thanks W5LZ.   I've got lots on 10 on hand but 14 would go up so much easier.
Looks like I'll buy the 10 solid copper coated from the wire man.  I haven't decided on which 14 to get yet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: