Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9U4U Burundi  (Read 6005 times)
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

I was monitoring their 17m CW signal yesterday (17th), for well over an hour. It was more down than up, definitely short path, and he was working Europe and a few JAs. Then he faded away altogether...
A bit later (1016z) the signal came up again, but still just 529 or so. I located his listening frequency, and pushed the Red Button on my K1EL keyer (with just my callsign) squirting 400W into the Hex Beam. Sometimes I give up when there is a Europe pile on an African expedition, but it is often  worth persisting, when the circumstances are "right", i.e., pileup not too tight, signal readable, and a completely different path from the EU competition. Well, he came right back to me, and I happily put him in the log for another point in the Marathon. Then, the signal faded right out again, for the rest of the evening. Shortly after, the ClubLog was updated. Nice!
Now I'd like to work them on a new band, 40m should be possible, but 12m and 10m have had it now, getting to the end of Summer.
BTW, the HPSDR transceiver I use, with the excellent Panadaptor, and sub-receiver make it relatively easy to pick just what frequency to make the call.
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »

Now I'd like to work them on a new band, 40m should be possible, but 12m and 10m have had it now, getting to the end of Summer.
BTW, the HPSDR transceiver I use, with the excellent Panadaptor, and sub-receiver make it relatively easy to pick just what frequency to make the call.
73 es GL,
Luke VK3HJ

Aren't Spring and Fall the best times for 10 meters or is it different at the bottom of the globe?

Chris/NU1O
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:51 PM »

Perhaps 17m is producing better propagation at the moment.  I wonder what percentage of DXers don't use 17m.  They are missing one of the best DX bands.

SHHHHHHHHH!  Don't SPOIL it, Jonathan!   Wink   I've had my car's HF antenna set up for 17 the last couple of weeks (only one band at a time, for me.)  Heard the op on 17m SSB driving home from work--doing a GREAT job, too.  Several times he said "five to ten up, please spread out, people!" Smiley

Working an ATNO from the car makes a work day MUCH better. Smiley  And thanks to the great ops at 9U4U--that was one well-handled pileup.
KF7CSO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

Yep, 17 was the "Magic Band" for me on this one today.  Smiley  That part of the world is tough with my confounded multiband vertical.

Eric
AF5C

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 07:20:19 PM »

Finally got them on 20 CW tonight.  The pileup didn't seem too bad. That gives me a new band country, as I have 9U on both SSB and CW but only on 10m.  Tried for them on 12 the other day with no luck. Never did get 5X8C.  Only copied them one time on 20m RTTY.  That was a bummer. Hope I have better luck with the XT, still them them on RTTY and on 30m and below.

Really need to get a rotor and get the MA5B yagi I recently bought up.

John AF5CC
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »

Got them 5 bands mobile yesterday afternoon, and evening from down here in Texas. 40M SSB was a real surprise. Just a few minutes calling.
30M  was first call, and 17M was second call. Why aren't they all this easy ?

The previous evening is the only other time I have called. I have been on vacation out of state for two weeks. That was 40M CW.

AE5X pointed out some possible signal problem for 9U4U. I noticed large QSB on 40M CW, and slow QSO rate. This was 2 nights ago.
I just gave up calling as the QSO rate was just awful.

73 Tony N5UD /M
Longview, Texas
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »

Tony, you've inspired me - I installed my FT857D into my car (along with a Hamstick) and listened to 9U4U on 17m phone a few days ago. I was surprised at how well I could hear them.

I'm waiting on a set of paddles to arrive and I expect them to be here by XT2TT-time.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »

40M SSB was a real surprise. Just a few minutes calling.

I heard both sides of your qso, Tony. Congrats.

You musta been hearing them better than I was at home. I had a lot of S-9+ static crashes that kept covering them up.  It took me more than "just a few minutes".

Why aren't they all this easy ?

What fun would that be?  Tongue 

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 04:03:35 PM »

Tony, you've inspired me - I installed my FT857D into my car (along with a Hamstick) and listened to 9U4U on 17m phone a few days ago. I was surprised at how well I could hear them.

I'm waiting on a set of paddles to arrive and I expect them to be here by XT2TT-time.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

I need that XT for 40M and mobile new one. May have to pull another rabbit out of the hat to fill that 40M QSO from the mobile.

John I tried paddles mobile, but I guess I never found a solid place for them. Or I gave up too soon. One little bounce on the road and......
I am on the straight key mobile since January 2011.

Tom I had static too. Thunderstorms were passing through just south 20 miles. Yet I could hear most of what they were saying. Lately some DX peditions have been easier for me mobile 40 SSB than 40 CW. Fewer callers on 40 SSB ?

I take them anyway I can get them on mobile. Yet it is fun on 40 and 80. A screwdriver antenna on a pickup truck busting (sneaking) through the pile ups.

GL guys 73 Tony N5UD /M
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

It seems easier on 20/17/15, but very tough through the EU wall on 40 and 80.  Their signal was S8 here on 80, and the EU stations were S9+20 here (and I am sure the same at 9U4U).
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »

Operators in the Midwest NA got a decent lowband opening to 9U last night.  There seemed to be some spotlight right around SS and some lucky operators got in 9U4U logs on 75 SSB and/or 160CW. 

The low bands to much of the east coast were experiencing very strange conditions around this time and up to around 0200Z.  The long wavelength spectrum was struggling under what seemed to be a blanket of high absorption.   There was some reported 6m E-skip and maybe link to F2 into the pacific ZL to NA and KH6 to LU around the same time.  When there is 6m activity in the evening it seems that the low bands tend to be pretty skunky. 

During some of this time the 9U ops switched focus to 40m, 30m and 20m.  But they were keeping an eye out for the low bands to revive.

Later around 0300Z the low bands popped back to life and 9U was boiling into NA just before their sunrise on 80m and 160m CW.  I think it was the best opening to Burundi on the low bands during this expedition. 

I think that their persistence and good operating skills made many NA operators happy on the low bands last night.

There are still a few days left in this expedition.  If you need a low band QSO you might be rewarded if you are at your radio at the golden hour.  And on the low bands this is pretty unpredictable...
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »

Later around 0300Z the low bands popped back to life and 9U was boiling into NA just before their sunrise on 80m and 160m CW.  I think it was the best opening to Burundi on the low bands during this expedition. 

Unfortunately, this was also the time when some Ahole decided to play music on their 80 meter frequency! I could hear them GREAT when the music was quiet, but eventually I gave up when I realized even if they called me I would not hear them well enough to respond. Pity too, I am certain with time I would have gotten them, my 400 watts/vertical does well into that part of the world.

paul
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »

Yes, it was a very good opening on 80M last night. 9U4U were easy copy on 80M but I could not get through the pileup the other way. They were obviously trying hard to work NA but eventually went back to working EU then I think there sunrise came and they moved to the high bands pointed east.

Also very easy for me to hear last night, was 4Z5CX on 160M. He was louder than the ops in central america and the Carribean. But again despite easy copy on my end, the path the other way seemed harder and I and several others did not get through.
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »

Yes I did hear some of that intentional QRMing on 80m.  I still think that the ops at 9U4U made quite a few NA QSOs during that time.  I saw that they updated some photos on their website showing antenna damage from a thunderstorm.  It seems that they have improved some RX antenna with the addition of K9AY loop so maybe there will be more opportunity for NA on the lowbands in the next few days.  I think that there will continue to be pressure on 80m especially as there will be contest related band congestion due to CQWW 160 SSB contest this weekend.

I also did hear the 4X on 160m with a very strong signal.  He was saying that he had QRM.  When W4ZV had to repeat his call to make a QSO I knew that it would be pretty tough for the lower tier DXers.  I did not try as I heard a lot of callers and have worked this entity before.  The 4X stations historically have been pretty frequent on 160m with strong signals just before their sunrise. 
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

Sometimes when bored or just for the heck of it I mount the caphat, and work 80 M CW.
I got them on 80M CW Thursday night. 5 - 10 minutes of calling. 0425Z Still lots of USA calling.

I was parked for this one. Also was enjoying a cigar. I have to run off from home to enjoy these. I smoke
outside the truck, and occasionally check the radio.

73 Tony N5UD /M
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: