Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Mobile AutoTune Whip Antenna  (Read 3871 times)
K3VAT

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »

This antenna advertisement in QST March p23.

It has a memory auto-tuner built into the base of the antenna. Looks like to be a first! Check it out at:
http://www.stealth-tele.com/plugins/custompages/detinf.php?id=373&id_categories=155

73, Rich, K3VAT

PS: I have no connection whatsoever to this company.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:14:00 AM by K3VAT » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »

No offense, but there is a BIG difference between "is featured in" and a paid advertisement.
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:14:27 AM »

No offense, but there is a BIG difference between "is featured in" and a paid advertisement.

You're correct, I've changed the wording.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:22:40 AM »

Nice.

The evolution of this design could be in the area of better input power management.

Although 200 watts pep is fine for mobile work. Maybe a little low for base station use.

The Stealthy antenna would most likely be used as a ground mounted vertical by hams if the price is competitive to say the step IR.
Therefore the efforts to upgrade the input power to the antenna would be desirable profitable is a different matter.

The quarter wave family of verticals presents plenty of radiation for excellent long range DX hf work this antenna appears rugged and fully capable of the highest presentation of power into the environment.

My only concern is that we need to see the inside design and at this point it is not known.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:21:58 PM »

It looks like a whip with auto tuner.  SGC has something like it.  They have a whip that can be used with an auto tuner.

Randy ka4nma
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »

It looks like a whip with auto tuner.  SGC has something like it.  They have a whip that can be used with an auto tuner.

Randy ka4nma

Unless I'm mistaken, only SGC's whip antennas are only whip antennas.  They do facilitate mounting to one or more SGC autocouplers.  See: http://sgcworld.com/whipantProductPage.html.  You may be thinking about this: http://sgcworld.com/Publications/Manuals/stealthman.pdf, but there again, there are 2 separate products.

This antenna has the antenna tuner built-in to the antenna's base.  However, what's missing from this new whip antenna's specifications is the range of matching.  I tried looking at their manuals to see what is the impedance matching range of their antennas and unless it is somewhere where I didn't look, it is absent.  I think that this is what also concerns W5WSS - let's see more of the technical information.  Thanks, 73, Rich, K3VAT

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:53 AM »

Even the SGC whips (I have one) are more than a simple straight whip. The lower frequency part is a helically loaded copper tape wound around a fiberglass pole to provide a load impedance that is easier for the tuner to match. The higher frequency part is a straight wire run up through the center of the pole.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »

It is made in UAE and the dealers show POR.  Hold on to your wallet.
ALEXST

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 02:46:53 AM »

My only concern is that we need to see the inside design and at this point it is not known.

Here Stealth 93-series mobile HF antennas inside look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95wjBnat0c
Here example of 9360 antenna operation with Vertex Standard VX-1700 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBUthN-4qA
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 04:07:35 AM »

It is made in UAE and the dealers show POR.  Hold on to your wallet.

Its made in the UAE, one of the richest countries in the world per capita and you're saying hold on to your wallet as if it was some cheap chinese junk?

At least they made a video which shows you all about it and them doing abuse tests on the casing. I don't seen Scorpion, Tarheel or any other mobile antenna manufacturer doing that.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:12:21 AM by M6GOM » Logged
KC9DRE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »

It is made in UAE and the dealers show POR.  Hold on to your wallet.

Its made in the UAE, one of the richest countries in the world per capita and you're saying hold on to your wallet as if it was some cheap chinese junk?

At least they made a video which shows you all about it and them doing abuse tests on the casing. I don't seen Scorpion, Tarheel or any other mobile antenna manufacturer doing that.

I took this as it was going to a fairly pricey piece of equipment not a knock on the quality.  Kinda like fainting from sticker price shock....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: