Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-80A problem interfacing to Icom 718  (Read 3496 times)
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 08:09:02 AM »

Steve,
If you look at my post number 10 to you, I use an ARB 704 interface on my AL 80A and have transfered it using several transceivers. I am happy you got your problem solved. I would not have believed that the interface would have solved your problem but glad it did. After thinking about it, I suspect the relay in your 718 has a problem handling the small current to key the amp, perhaps a bad ground, or something that provided some RF back into the receive circuit of your transceiver. Since it is only switching a very minute current now to key a transistor, no RF is feeding back into your transceiver. Of course all this is pure speculation on my part, just thinking out load. Enjoy your AL 80A.

Frank
KE7RTV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »

Frank,

I should have taken your advice and used the interface. In retrospect, it seems like it was the
obvious solution. But with the price of an interface being between $40 and $70, I was trying
to make certain it was what I needed before I spent the money. Now that I have a better understanding
of what an interface does, I'd recommend that everyone use one. The money saved isn't worth the
risk.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: