Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX cop bad behavior  (Read 4745 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »

Heard a DX cop the other day send didiDAHdit didiDAH to someone (not me.). I don't mind being reminded if I forget to turn split mode on, but this is crossing the line. How often do you suppose it happens?

- WX2S.

I hear this often, some poor fellow forgets to go to split, and the next thing you know, someone is insulting him, as opposed to helping him...  It gets very old...  I heard a DX station actualy ask the DX cop to stop helping a few years ago...  That is how bad it is now...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »

Chris/NU1O,

I wonder if there is some way the spotting clusters can make an announcement, along with the spotted station, to remember to work split?  We see all sorts of notes thanking the station for an ATNO, new band, mode, etc.  Maybe a default "split" message could appear, as 99.9% of DXpeditions, are always working split.  I am willing to bet, that the vast majority of people chasing a station got the initial spot via a cluster, as that's the way it is done today; just plain easier rather than listening on the bands.

Does any one else have any ideas that might help with the problem?

Hi

I use MixW, and it will see the split in the cluster if someone actually puts something in like "up 5", and when I click on teh station, the rig drops into split by itself...  Very handy...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »

While normally you would think DXpeditions would be operating split, it is quite common to hear them operating simplex when not busy. I heard several this weekend  - outside the contest -  operating simplex and one announcing split but answering on his transmit freq. One started out split, but then ended up operating simplex.

In any case it is more likely to hear a DX station operating split, announcing it, and then hear several people calling on freq for whatever reason.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »

Ran into a form of bad behavior the other day that I hadn't seen before: the "pirate cop." Pretends to be the DX.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

Ran into a form of bad behavior the other day that I hadn't seen before: the "pirate cop." Pretends to be the DX.

- WX2S

If one pretends to be the DX they are a Pirate.  How does the cop come into the equation?

The other day I saw somebody writing a legitimate station off as a Pirate.  That's what I thought you meant by "Pirate Cop."

Chris/NU1O

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

I think what he means Chris is sometimes you might hear someone calling the DX'pedition on frequency instead of split, doesn't move up after being being told several times by the cop to move, so finally someone calls him pretending to be the DX, "W7XXX ur 599 bk". W7XXX thinks he has the QSO and then happily moves off thinking he is in the log. The tactic usually doesn't work, but you hear it all the time Smiley

John K7KB
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

The tactic usually doesn't work, but you hear it all the time Smiley

I do indeed hear it all the time, and unfortunately in my opinion it works quite well!! When I hear it I try to email the guy and tell him he has been had by one of the LID cops and to try again for the DX.

paul
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »

While normally you would think DXpeditions would be operating split, it is quite common to hear them operating simplex when not busy. I heard several this weekend  - outside the contest -  operating simplex and one announcing split but answering on his transmit freq. One started out split, but then ended up operating simplex.

In any case it is more likely to hear a DX station operating split, announcing it, and then hear several people calling on freq for whatever reason.

Very true. Towards the end of the expedition, I worked Malpelo Island 20m simplex.

-- Tom
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:20 PM »

I think what he means Chris is sometimes you might hear someone calling the DX'pedition on frequency instead of split, doesn't move up after being being told several times by the cop to move, so finally someone calls him pretending to be the DX, "W7XXX ur 599 bk". W7XXX thinks he has the QSO and then happily moves off thinking he is in the log. The tactic usually doesn't work, but you hear it all the time Smiley

John K7KB
This.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

The tactic usually doesn't work, but you hear it all the time Smiley

I do indeed hear it all the time, and unfortunately in my opinion it works quite well!! When I hear it I try to email the guy and tell him he has been had by one of the LID cops and to try again for the DX.

paul

Depends...... if he had been continously calling on the DX freq, I would not tell him a damned thing. He got exactly what he deserved IMHO. I would never do the pirate cop thing, but I think sometimes its deserved by the LID.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

We all make the wrong VFO error from time to time, but calling over and over on the DX freq usually means the idiot cannot even copy UP UP.....  AND.... if that is the case, he should not even attempt to work DX. Perhaps he would be better suited to ragchewing. Roll Eyes

73, Gene AF3Y
W7NUW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »

It amazes me to hear a powerful station, sometimes with a 1X2 call, calling (and calling, and calling) split-working DX on the DX frequency. I look him up on QRZ.COM and see he has 50K+ queries and a big antenna farm. Of course, he's ignoring the "up" cops as well.

How can this be? Are these people just trying to block others from making the contact?

Re those who "answer" as if they were the DX: I won't do it, but the German word schadenfreude does reflect my feelings about those who are fooled.

Of course there are honest mistakes. Most of us make them.

Ken Lawson W7NUW
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »

It amazes me to hear a powerful station, sometimes with a 1X2 call, calling (and calling, and calling) split-working DX on the DX frequency. I look him up on QRZ.COM and see he has 50K+ queries and a big antenna farm.

That is my experience as well. I usually just think they have old timers and can't think anymore.

I laugh when someone answers them your 59 and they think they logged the DX. I wish more people did it.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 08:05:42 PM »

I believe there are two categories of QRM, unintentional and intentional.  Calling on the wrong frequency is unintentional and excusable.  When someone calls on the wrong frequency he/she has nothing to gain as the DX won't hear them.  We all have done it at one time or another by mistake.  The problem is when you have several hundred people trying to work the DX even an error rate of 1% translates to really bad QRM on the DX's frequency.  Mistakes happen even to those with 1x2 callers.  The second category of QRM is intentional and these are 1) calling when the DX asks for a specific/partial call, 2) those who don't listen and keeps calling, 3) 'stomping' over a weak station in a QSO, and 4) calling over a solid QSO already in progress.  IMHO the intentional QRM is perhaps 100 times worse than the unintentional QRM.  It's not likely that we'll be able to fix either categories of QRM anytime soon Angry

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:49:27 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 09:01:57 PM »

John K7KB

Thanks, John.  I have heard it myself but I would not do it to a fellow ham.

As for DXpeditions not always working split that is true but the first rule of the DX Code of Conduct is:

I will listen, and listen, and then listen again before calling.

If one really follows the Code of Conduct it is hard to get in trouble and the beauty of the Code is they are all common sense rules. The only rule I have a problem with is rule #4 and only in certain situations, #4 I will not interfere with the DX station or anyone calling and will never tune up on the DX frequency or in the QSX slot.

That supposedly covers frequency cops. Most times somebody on the wrong VFO catches it on their own after one or two mistakes, but what do we do with the guy who has called ten times and is really disrupting things? At some point I think somebody has to simply say, "X1XX he is working split."

W7NUW says he hears a lot of 1X2 stations with thousands of lookups working the wrong VFO. I think the answer to that one is we have a lot of older hams and it could be a memory problem or medicine which effects the person's memory. Even simple cold medicine can make one groggy and when one one gets up into their 60's and 70's the docotor usually has them on multiple prescritptions and they all have side-effects.

Chris/NU1O

W7NUW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »

"W7NUW says he hears a lot of 1X2 stations with thousands of lookups working the wrong VFO. I think the answer to that one is we have a lot of older hams and it could be a memory problem or medicine which effects the person's memory. Even simple cold medicine can make one groggy and when one one gets up into their 60's and 70's the docotor usually has them on multiple prescritptions and they all have side-effects.

Chris/NU1O"

My words didn't accurately convey my meaning. My intent was to express surprise that it wasn't just "newbies" who were ignoring split instructions. I referred to "1X2" calls to imply experience and hard-earned knowledge, and in no way to suggest that those holding these calls were "loosing it" because of age. To the contrary, I am in awe of the skills of the great majority of these hams. I am 69 myself, but only 5 years on the air after 48 years QRT.

Ken Lawson W7NUW
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:03:09 PM by W7NUW » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: