Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to 17 Meters?  (Read 1242 times)
KB5UBI

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »

Twice this week, I've been in QSOs on 17 meters and yelled at by contesters running split. Many of us migrated to 17 in order to get away from the contesters and 17 is just too narrow for split operation.

AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »

You mean DXers, not contesters, right?  I'm not aware of ANY contests that allow use of 17m.

No offense, but I find it hard to believe there's so much DXing on 17 that it affects many people very often.  I just worked a DXpedition working split on 17m from the car this afternoon.   The DX was up at 18153 and we were calling 5-10 up; the only other phone signal I heard on the band at the same time was down around 18115.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 02:39:27 PM »

I heard the same guy. What a clown. He would call CQ DX fifteen times before some one would work him.
LA1BRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:44:51 PM »

I agree, running split on a narrow spectrum like 17 meters is rather annoying.

18.157.50 HF Pack member

good DX

73 de XE3 / KB5VWZ tom  ek48dq

most afternoons (late) and weekends
KB5UBI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »

My choice or words was poor; I should have said organized DX and not contesting but there is little difference when there are pile-ups competing for the contact. What bothered me the most was the rudeness of the operators.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:29:18 AM »

Get used to the rudeness,you will find it on all bands and it won't be going away anytime soon.To get away from the majority of it switch to CW.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:47 AM »

There is a certain number of ops who feel that if their radio can tune it that they can work it. Irrespective of license class, bandplans or readily available guidelines. Then they treat it as if they own that chunk of spectrum.

I tried to pull together a spreadsheet that summed up where all of the nets hang out, times, days, etc.. HFPack, ALE, digital modes, etc.. It just became too unwieldly and then you still ran into the chit-chat informal nets where someone would bark at you for being on "their" frequency. Contests just introduced too much chaos into my little workbook so I gave up on the idea.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:18:39 AM »

You were not yelled at by contesters.

You were not yelled at by DX'ers.

You were yelled at by "DX cops" or "kilocycle cops". They are not actual DX'ers or contesters or cops.

Tim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: