Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m/70cm antenna and roof cargo basket, also HT and mobile unit questions  (Read 1640 times)
KF5LCG

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

I currently have a Larsen glass mount antenna on my jeep cherokee, and a cargo basket that covers almost the entire roof. I've been debating punching a hole for an NMO mount and roof mounting the antenna, but I wonder how much the basket will affect the outgoing signal/radiation pattern. Ideas/suggestions?

I also need dual band mobiles for both(wife and I) vehicles. I need cross band repeat, and I've been told that the Yaesu Ft8800 can be set to TX on an invalid frequency to prevent transmissions on the unused TX frequency. I like the look of the Kenwood 710, but the manual doesn't say anything about crossband repeater use. Any recommendations or info on this?

Also in the market for some new HT's since the wife and my mother are getting their tickets. Waterproof/resistant, AA battery case option and dual band, preferably easy to program/clone. The instructor at the class my wife attended today recommended Wouxon, so I looked at those and Boafeng, which appears to be the same thing at half the price. I'd buy a couple more FT60's, but as far as I know they aren't even water resistant.  Embarrassed
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:57 AM »

Even with the cargo basket, the NMO mounted antenna would be a definite improvement over your Larsen glass mount.

As far as the HTs, you get what you pay for.  The Chinese HTs work, but some of them are not approved by the FCC, some of them are a bear to program (yes, so are some of the others) and the assemblies themselves sometimes leave a lot to be desired--even between HTs of the same model.  I would opt for the more expensive--and (I believe) the better quality control of the big three over either the Wouxon or the Baofeng.

Of course, this is only my opinion, YMMV.  73!
KF5LCG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:56:12 PM »

NMO mount it is. I am a little leery of the chinese radios for several reasons, but it doesn't seem like there are many options for water resistant HT's.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:57 AM »

One other thing to consider is this:  The Chinese radios may claim to be waterproof, but that could be easily compromised as well.  I believe Yaesu is the only manufacturer that does offer true waterproofing--and even then, they don't guarantee it unconditionally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: