Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WW4NC - Dick Martin - Be cautious  (Read 2395 times)
K3DCW

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:36 PM »

In November 2012, I placed an ad on QRZ selling a microHam microKeyer II. Dick Martin, WW4NC, responded quickly and after severals emails negotiating prices, he quickly sent payment via PayPal (at my request). I shipped the microKeyer II the next day with good packaging, full insurance, and tracking. Dick confirmed receipt in an email two days later and let me know that he was going out of town on vacation and wouldn't be able to test out the microKeyer II for a bit. I emailed Dick again after Christmas and in January asking whether he was satisfied with the microKeyer II, but received no response either time.

On February 13th 2013, I received a notice from PayPal that Dick, WW4NC, had filed a reversal of charges for a fraudulent charge via his credit card company. As is standard procedure, PayPal placed a temporary hold on the funds in my account until this dispute was resolved. Again, I attempted to contact Dick and ask why he had filed the chargeback and whether there were any issues with the microKeyer II, but again received no response.

I don't know why Dick issued this chargeback against the purchase. It may have been that he forgot what exactly that purchase was for, it may be that the microKeyer II arrived damaged, or it may have been something more nefarious. I simply don't know as he hasn't responded to any of my emails since confirming delivery. Fortunately, I was able to provide PayPal with the tracking and insurance information from the shipment, along with the email from Dick confirming receipt of the package. As a result, PayPal released the hold on my funds, closed the reversal, and will deal with his credit card company; releasing me from any responsibility.

I do advise that if you do business with Dick Martin, WW4NC, that you make sure you take the appropriate precautions, such as shipping with full insurance and tracking (should go without saying), saving all correspondence and documentation, and I do recommend that you use PayPal; PayPal is fair if you have the appropriate documentation on hand.

Of course, these basic precautions should be true for any online transaction.

Dave
K3DCW
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »

I don't care what anyone has to say, PayPal is the way to go. It's saved my behind several times.
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

I don't care what anyone has to say, PayPal is the way to go. It's saved my behind several times.

Yes, PayPal is a great way to go as long as you have your documentation and you follow a few simple rules; basically insure the shipment & track the shipment with delivery confirmation.  Then, keep that information available for several months in case something comes back to bite you.

In the end, I don't know if PayPal will simply absorb the loss on this or whether they'll push back on the credit card company with the documentation I provided.  I don't care whether Dick's credit card company refunds his money (and he gets the microKeyer II for free) or not.  Either way, it doesn't matter to me; I'm off the hook because of the documentation and PayPal's service agreement.

Dave
K3DCW
KA2CDT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

I am glad it worked out for you Dave. Paypal is the only option I use when buying unless I have dealth with the person before. It is strange that Dick would use the fraudulant charge via his credit card and not through Paypal. Most of the time when someone is not happy with a purchase they use the item not as described option especially since you have proof that he did receive the microkeyer. ( not that yours was anything but as described). It is possible that something may have happened to Dick and a family member is the one who initiated the complaint not knowing what the charge was. Just a thought. Then again who knows.....I can't figure people out anymore.

Ronnie KA2CDT
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »

In November 2012, I placed an ad on QRZ selling a microHam microKeyer II. Dick Martin, WW4NC, responded quickly and after severals emails negotiating prices, he quickly sent payment via PayPal (at my request). I shipped the microKeyer II the next day with good packaging, full insurance, and tracking. Dick confirmed receipt in an email two days later and let me know that he was going out of town on vacation and wouldn't be able to test out the microKeyer II for a bit. I emailed Dick again after Christmas and in January asking whether he was satisfied with the microKeyer II, but received no response either time.

On February 13th 2013, I received a notice from PayPal that Dick, WW4NC, had filed a reversal of charges for a fraudulent charge via his credit card company. As is standard procedure, PayPal placed a temporary hold on the funds in my account until this dispute was resolved. Again, I attempted to contact Dick and ask why he had filed the chargeback and whether there were any issues with the microKeyer II, but again received no response.

I don't know why Dick issued this chargeback against the purchase. It may have been that he forgot what exactly that purchase was for, it may be that the microKeyer II arrived damaged, or it may have been something more nefarious. I simply don't know as he hasn't responded to any of my emails since confirming delivery. Fortunately, I was able to provide PayPal with the tracking and insurance information from the shipment, along with the email from Dick confirming receipt of the package. As a result, PayPal released the hold on my funds, closed the reversal, and will deal with his credit card company; releasing me from any responsibility.

I do advise that if you do business with Dick Martin, WW4NC, that you make sure you take the appropriate precautions, such as shipping with full insurance and tracking (should go without saying), saving all correspondence and documentation, and I do recommend that you use PayPal; PayPal is fair if you have the appropriate documentation on hand.

Of course, these basic precautions should be true for any online transaction.

Dave
K3DCW

Thank you for posting this...  It helps others to realize that PayPal is a good thing, as opposed to a bad thing...  I simply will not do business with anyone on the net unless it is via PayPal, as a seller or a buyer...  I get leery when I see people who hate PayPal because they can get to his bank account...  Makes me wonder a bit...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: