Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A3WS Cushcraft  (Read 683 times)
AI4U

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2005, 04:12:19 PM »

Hi,
I have an A3WS yagi ( 12 and 17 meter beam ) here that appears to be in great shape ( as far as the alum. tubing goes ). It has been in storage for about 6 years. My question is concerning the traps. Each trap has three drain holes, although on four of the traps one of the drain holes is blocked on the inside by what appears to be black colored plastic. One other trap has a hole partially covered by the same material and the last trap has all three holes clear. I'm just wondering if this is "normal" or should I just replace them?
Thanks
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 07:30:33 AM »

I'd disassemble the traps and check inside. It is possible insects have built nests inside and that's what's blocking the holes.

It's also a good way to check for corrosion on the connections that might need to be removed.

Lon
AI4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 08:47:33 AM »

I have thought about taking them apart for cleaning, and will probably do so. Although whatever is blocking the holes is either plastic or metal for sure.
Jeff
N5XES

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »

Jeff, the black plastic is probably the end of the trap coil.  If you take the outer shell off please count the # of turns on the coil form. i need the info to convert an old A3S into an A3WS for WARC bands.  as long as a couple of holes are clear, moisture will drain out of the traps.The coil form will be shorteron the inside as opposed to the standard 10 and 15m traps on the A3S traps.
73   Tyrone  N5XES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: