Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-9340 Cub Kit circuit walk-through video  (Read 2670 times)
W2AEW

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »

Here's a video I put together after assembling the MFJ-9340 Cub 40m QRP Transceiver kit for a friend. It is mainly a quick overview of the kit, a walk-through of the block diagram and schematic, and a quick 'band-sweep' through the lower portion of the 40m band with a tiny 18" antenna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QSwXv2RJzw

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

Alan:  Once again you've put together a great Youtube video for our enjoyment!  I built the ARRL HBC I TAK-40 transceiver which basically uses the same principals and a couple of the same chips.

I've always had a problem understanding the circuitry of the TAK-40 because of the solid state switching and the use of a PIC, which is my first. (And probably last)  There is still a lot that I don't understand about the TAK-40 but maybe one day I'll get there.

I was able to follow you through both the block and schematic diagrams with ease and not only learned quite a bit but was able to compare the MFJ Cub to the TAK-40 as you went along.

Alan, at the risk of sounding like I'm blowing smoke in your ear, I must once again tell you that you have a great talent with your ability to put together Youtube videos.  I hope you continue with this.

Al - K8AXW

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:56:58 AM »

Excellent video and understandable description.I have built three Cubs to date,only wish you had this video four years ago.As you say,a nice QRP rig especially for rough and tumble portable operation,I take mine where my K-1 would dare not tread.
W3AGT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »

Alan, Love the video on scopes & psk.

I know you're slightly positioned to favor Tektronix equipment Wink but I was wondering if I could get your thoughst on the least expensive scope I could buy that would serve as a good digital signal station monitor.

Thanks,

Allen Taylor
W3AGT

I am the King of My Castle When the Queen Lets Me
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I really appreciate it.  I enjoy doing these videos - I wish I had more time to devote to creating them.  I have a list of about 40 or 50 that are on my to-do list!

I know you're slightly positioned to favor Tektronix equipment Wink but I was wondering if I could get your thoughts on the least expensive scope I could buy that would serve as a good digital signal station monitor.
W3AGT

Yeah, I'm a biased towards the Tek stuff.  As for a station monitor, it really is quite hard to beat an analog scope.  Most of the inexpensive digital scopes don't have the refresh rate to create a decent RF envelope display, and many will often alias the RF signal when using the lower horizontal time scales that are necessary for typical phone RF monitoring.  Some will have display modes (such as peak detection) that will help, but you wind up with a very monochromatic envelope which doesn't have the same look, feel, and "value" that the old analog display has.  I don't have access to any of the modern inexpensive DSOs, so I can't give you a first hand recommendation.

To get an idea of what a typical analog scope will give you for station monitoring, check out this quick video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D83xp3H5Bo

I'm sorry if this doesn't directly answer your question, but unfortunately I don't have a way of evaluating the new/cheap DSOs in this application.  My 10yr old TDS2000 does an OK job, but not nearly as nice as any of my old analog scopes when used as a station monitor.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: