The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: yaesu FT857D Baud rate  (Read 4954 times)
K5XOM

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

In the FT-857D the baud rate can be set at 1200 and 9600.
Does that mean that it is exclusively stuck on one or the other and cannot process, say like 75 baud or 2400 baud?
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »

In the FT-857D the baud rate can be set at 1200 and 9600.
Does that mean that it is exclusively stuck on one or the other and cannot process, say like 75 baud or 2400 baud?

If you set the data port at 1200, you should be able to run software that uses other speeds like 75 or 2400. The 9600 is mainly for use with FM (packet), where the receive audio is bypassing the FM discriminator and going straight to the data port. The 1200 setting is similar to the receive audio you'd get off the speaker jack, which has gone through filtering.

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
K5XOM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »

Thank you for the reply.
The reason I am asking about the baud rate is that I was reading about the
Annual Armed Forces Day Crossband Military/ Amateur Radio Communications Test coming up this month.
If I understand it correctly, the software used by the military uses 2400 baud. There wouldn't be any point in me installing the software if my rig didn't do 2400 Baud. So you are saying if I set the Baud at 1200 I should be able to dicipher their transmission?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:35:13 PM by K5XOM » Logged
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 04:21:52 AM »

The rig itself does not do a "baud rate". It simply controls what type of audio, either through the discriminator or bypassing the discriminator. The software controls the baud rate.

It would be nice if manufacturers get rid of the "baud rate" label and assigned the discriminator audio label to the rigs. "Baud rate" is a throwback to when TNCs were more popular. Even then, the TNC controlled the "baud rate", not the radio.
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

Thank you for the reply.
The reason I am asking about the baud rate is that I was reading about the
Annual Armed Forces Day Crossband Military/ Amateur Radio Communications Test coming up this month.
If I understand it correctly, the software used by the military uses 2400 baud. There wouldn't be any point in me installing the software if my rig didn't do 2400 Baud. So you are saying if I set the Baud at 1200 I should be able to dicipher their transmission?

Yes, and that's what NA4IT is also saying. It's not a hard limit, but where the audio is coming from inside the radio. Unless you're using something at 9600bps or faster, you can leave the port set for 1200 and use it with different software packages.

Good luck next weekend, and 73!

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/ - Twitter: @WD9EWK
K5XOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »

I appreciate the replies. Yes they did seem to confuse me about it. Now I'll download the software and see what it looks like.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: