Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EP3SMH Iran  (Read 8936 times)
KC9QQ

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:02:30 AM »

I just noticed that EP3SMH (Iran) is active on the bands this morning.  If you look him up on QRZ.COM it says he wants $9 (green stamps) + one IRC for a QSL.  This sounds like a currency generation scam and not a legitimate request of offset QSL costs.  Given the trade restrictions on Iran, I would suspect that US $ would be extremely valuable.   I am not even sure if it would be legal to send US$ to Iran.

Any others have similar concerns?

Fred, KC9QQ

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »

There was another thread on this subject.  I had thought of the same thing until Zack brought up this info. to the group.  See http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

I wouldn't mind paying $9 for a QSL if I had worked EP for an ATNO.  I couldn't hear him this morning but of course it's too early for an opening on 10m here in CO Cry

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:58 AM »

This has been brought up several times with the last occurrence just last week.  I don't know if it's legal or not to send money to Iran but I would think EP3SMH has more to worry about from his government than an American ham from the USG.

This would likely fall under Federal jurisdiction but US prosecutors are busy people.  I don't think there is one with enough free time to bring a case over $9 to an Iranian ham. But assuming there was an overzealous prosecutor how would they find out about the $9 in somebody's envelope?  Is the USPS opening all mail to Iran?  I don't know.

If you work him and think the $9 fee is too high or you think you may risk going to prison your choice is simple: don't send $9 to EP3SMH for a QSL.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:52:43 AM by NU1O » Logged
KC9QQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »

Thanks to all for the additional insight on postage costs from Iran.  It appears the cost is legit, however I wonder what the chances are that an envelope with $9 would actually make it to him.  Oh well, I didn't work him so it is a non issue at the moment. 

Thanks,

Fred, KC9QQ
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »

There was another thread on this subject.  I had thought of the same thing until Zack brought up this info. to the group.  See http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

I wouldn't mind paying $9 for a QSL if I had worked EP for an ATNO.  I couldn't hear him this morning but of course it's too early for an opening on 10m here in CO Cry

Jonathan W6GX

Hi Jonathan,
Would you really pay that "ransom" for an ATNO? 

I do NOT have Iran as a DXCC, so it too would be an ATNO, but I would NOT pay that to get a QSL card.  Call it another one of my principles.  I think an amount like this is far too much and it is nothing more than a money generator for the station.  This is the so called "ham spirit" everyone talks about?

73 de Jim - KE8G

AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »

After filing my 1040, paying $9 for a hard-to-get-ATNO QSL would seem a pittance. In fact, I just donated more than that to two recent DXpeditions. And far more than that to Uncle Sam.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

Hi Jonathan,

I do NOT have Iran as a DXCC, so it too would be an ATNO, but I would NOT pay that to get a QSL card.  Call it another one of my principles.  I think an amount like this is far too much and it is nothing more than a money generator for the station.  This is the so called "ham spirit" everyone talks about?

73 de Jim - KE8G

Hi Jim,

You might have missed one important fact discussed in the two threads.  Postage rate is very expensive in Iran.  So the ham is not making much at all.

Even if he's making money I wouldn't mind paying the 'ransom'.  That's just me.

Jonathan W6GX
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:58:10 AM »

According to K4HB's International postage rate list:

http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

International postage from Iran to the US is $12.50 (Holy S%&#!!!)

And it is currently illegal to mail US currency to Iran:

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_004.htm#ep1384388

But as posted earlier, how excited are postal inspectors and federal prosecuters going to get over $9?

Don, K2DC
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »

Jonathan W6GX

Hi Jonathan,

73 de Jim - KE8G

Hi Jim,

You might have missed one important fact discussed in the two threads.  Postage rate is very expensive in Iran.  So the ham is not making much at all.

Even if he's making money I wouldn't mind paying the 'ransom'.  That's just me.

Jonathan W6GX

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for pointing out my error!   I did some quick research on the Internet and it appears that the Iranian Postal Service has recently raised the rate.  From the best I can calculate; it's approximately $7.30 for someone in Iran to send air mail.

I guess I just jumped the gun, as I have seen soooooo many stations asking for very outrageous "contributions" to secure their QSL cards.  To me, that's the money generator to further their personal enjoyment and buy them new equipment.

73 de Jim - KE8G
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »

I'd love to know what the Iranian government charges their citizens to send a letter to Cuba or Venezuela.  I have a feeling this is just a de facto ban on mail to the USA so the Iranian government can say there is no law against sending mail to the USA. It's certainly a huge deterrent for Iranians who don't have somebody on the other end to pay their postal bills.

According to Wikipedia there are almost a half million Iranian-Americans in the USA. Many likely have relatives in Iran and those punitive postal rates would certainly discourage friends and relatives from exchanging letters.

I really don't want the Iranian government making any money from American hams but since oil is traded in US dollars this is not a substantial dollar generator for them. Only somebody chasing DXCC would be willing to pay $9 for a letter.

Ironically, I just watched Argo last night so all those anti-Iranian feelings are fresh in my mind.

Chris/NU1O
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 11:49:28 AM »

Thanks to all for the additional insight on postage costs from Iran.  It appears the cost is legit, however I wonder what the chances are that an envelope with $9 would actually make it to him.  Oh well, I didn't work him so it is a non issue at the moment. 

Thanks,

Fred, KC9QQ

Don't they cut the culprit's hands off when caught stealing in Iran?

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »

He should open a Paypal account or have clublog host an OQSL.  I wonder if there are any restrictions doing so from Iran.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »

He should open a Paypal account or have clublog host an OQSL.  I wonder if there are any restrictions doing so from Iran.

Jonathan W6GX

From my comfortable home in the USA I am not going to question the motives of a fellow ham who lives in a police state. He knows what $9 is worth. The average wage in Iran is about $500 a month.

Since he is active on the ham bands and talking to Western countries my guess is he has a good reason for his QSL policy. If he was really out for money he could charge $25 a card and he'd have people waiting in line to pay it.

My only Iranian QSL is from a QSO in 2001 and that ham had a European manager. Out of curiosity I just looked him up on QRZ and he has the same QSL manager and he gives his PO Box in Iran. I worked an Iranian in 2011 and his QRZ page has no address except his city and province and he did not answer my emails. He did QSL using eQSL so he is QSling, just not the way I'd prefer.

Here is a question for the group:

What is the most you would be willing to pay for a QSL card?

If the particular QSL would make Honor Roll or #1 HR for you, would you break your normal limit by twice, triple?

Chris/NU1O

KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

Jonathan W6GX

From my comfortable home in the USA I am not going to question the motives of a fellow ham who lives in a police state. He knows what $9 is worth. The average wage in Iran is about $500 a month.

Since he is active on the ham bands and talking to Western countries my guess is he has a good reason for his QSL policy. If he was really out for money he could charge $25 a card and he'd have people waiting in line to pay it.

My only Iranian QSL is from a QSO in 2001 and that ham had a European manager. Out of curiosity I just looked him up on QRZ and he has the same QSL manager and he gives his PO Box in Iran. I worked an Iranian in 2011 and his QRZ page has no address except his city and province and he did not answer my emails. He did QSL using eQSL so he is QSling, just not the way I'd prefer.

Here is a question for the group:

What is the most you would be willing to pay for a QSL card?

If the particular QSL would make Honor Roll or #1 HR for you, would you break your normal limit by twice, triple?

Chris/NU1O

Chris,
The most I would be willing to pay is $5-$6.... no more.  From another posting, you already know how I feel about not "having" to work all DX and it being nothing more than a hobby!!

Now, contributions for DXpeditions is another matter.... I sent them in as an individual and as a member of the Northern Ohio DX Association.  My club is ALWAYS supporting multiple DXpeditions every year and that is what my dues and other contributions help to pay for!

73 de Jim - KE8G
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »

There are two ways to look at this.  Individual hams whom I make a contact with don't have incurred expenses other than postage.  Normally I buy foreign stamps so they get nothing in terms of 'donation'.  I don't believe individual hams should get or ask for donations unless they are on a solo dxpedition (i.e. Vlad Bykov).  I would think that most hams here would agree that a QSL should be a courtesy and not a money-making venture.  For dxpeditions I firmly believe in sending a donation on top of the postage expense.  My donation amount ranges between $10 to $20.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: