Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EP3SMH Iran  (Read 7308 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »

I agree with AE5X.  $9 for an ATNO at this stage of my DX career (there are only rare ones left) is not excessive.  I try to donate that much to DXpeditions that I am able to work, as a way of saying thanks for enriching my hobby.  At this point in my life, it's all about ham radio.  No new cars, no fine wines or single malts (no booze at all), no boat, just the XYL and the animals.
K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:13 AM »

The question was brought up, "How much are you willing to pay for a QSL card?" Personally, it depends on how much I want the card. But more importantly, it depends on if I believe the DX station really needs what is asked to return a card. There's still countries that can return a card for $1 and have some left over to put in their pockets. If sending rounded off dollar amounts, Paraguay requires $4, and those in Papua New Guinea need $5 to return a card airmail. Thought I had seen it all until Iran increased their rates. According to their official postage site and the current exchange rate, it takes $13 to send airmail to the states, and $10 to send surface mail. Their rates are determined by distance in groups 1-5, and the US is in group 5. Someone asked about Cuba and Venezuela. According to their chart, those countries are also in group 5. Iran's rates, a link to their official postage site, and a link that explains the 5 groups can be found here. There's a currency calculator at the bottom of the page.

http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

So for myself, I'll pay what an op asks if I want the card and believe the amount asked is justified. There's some out there stuffing their pockets by asking for more than necessary. They may be a notch above those who will pocket the money and not QSL at all, but they are still operating a business. There's an op in New Caledonia who wants $3, when $2 is more than enough for airmail. I worked him on 6 meters exactly a year ago today when we had a rare opening. I worked him previously on another band and sent an SASE with his country's stamp and he sent my card via the buro. So if I ever send him a card for that 6M contact, it will be via the buro AFTER I get one from him. So a QSL may never happen. I would love to have the card, but I'm not sending him $3 knowing $2 will work. As for using stamps, I use them for places I don't think green stamps are secure. But there's some that state on their QRZed page not to send them. Stamps don't leave anything to pocket. As for DXpeditions, they deserve some help for their expenses in putting one on the air. Individual ops operating from the comfort of their homes only need what is required for postage.

As for EP3SMH, I won't work him unless he gets a manager or gets on LoTW. If I needed Iran for an ATNO, then I may send him $10. If I thought he was just ripping people off I wouldn't send him anything, but according to Iran's postage site, he is correct in what he asks. I did some searches for hams in Iran who have managers or are on LoTW. The pickings are slim. I found only one who uploads to LoTW. I found some with managers, but thinned things out when searching for the last date they were spotted on the air. Looks like EP3MJ and EP3PK are our best chances unless we want to pay big bucks for a card.

EP3MJ via IK2DUW  Last spotted Jan 2013
EP3PK via IK2DUW (LoTW) Last spotted Jan 2013
EP4HR via I2MQP   Last spotted Apr 2010
EP4SP via OK1DOT  Last spotted Dec 2010

And if you prefer eQSL, EP4RF is the one to work.

73 es Gud DX,
Hal  K4HB

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:44:38 AM by K4HB » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

The question was brought up, "How much are you willing to pay for a QSL card?" Personally, it depends on how much I want the card. But more importantly, it depends on if I believe the DX station really needs what is asked to return a card. There's still countries that can return a card for $1 and have some left over to put in their pockets. If sending rounded off dollar amounts, Paraguay requires $4, and those in Papua New Guinea need $5 to return a card airmail. Thought I had seen it all until Iran increased their rates. According to their official postage site and the current exchange rate, it takes $13 to send airmail to the states, and $10 to send surface mail. Their rates are determined by distance in groups 1-5, and the US is in group 5. Someone asked about Cuba and Venezuela. According to their chart, those countries are also in group 5. Iran's rates, a link to their official postage site, and a link that explains the 5 groups can be found here. There's a currency calculator at the bottom of the page.

73 es Gud DX,
Hal  K4HB

Hal,

Kudos on a very well thought out and researched reply and thanks for finding the answer to my question about Iranian postal rates to Cuba and Venezuela. 

I looked at the Iranian chart which is supposed to determine postal rates by distance and it didn't make much sense.  Croatia and Poland were in zone 2 while nearby Germany and Austria are in zone 4. For a country which has traditionally subsidized many products they don't seem to care whether their citizens can send letters abroad but I don't find that surprising.

I give you credit for sticking to your principles when it comes to QSLing. I really don't know where I'd draw the line if I needed a really important QSL. 

I really don't mind if a station with very little money makes a little profit from QSLing since it may make the difference whether they stay on the air or not, but I don't like to see hams in wealthy countries profiting from their QSL operation.

Welcome to the forum!

Chris/NU1O
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »

73 es Gud DX,
Hal  K4HB

Hal,

Kudos on a very well thought out and researched reply and thanks for finding the answer to my question about Iranian postal rates to Cuba and Venezuela. 

I looked at the Iranian chart which is supposed to determine postal rates by distance and it didn't make much sense.  Croatia and Poland were in zone 2 while nearby Germany and Austria are in zone 4. For a country which has traditionally subsidized many products they don't seem to care whether their citizens can send letters abroad but I don't find that surprising.

I give you credit for sticking to your principles when it comes to QSLing. I really don't know where I'd draw the line if I needed a really important QSL. 

I really don't mind if a station with very little money makes a little profit from QSLing since it may make the difference whether they stay on the air or not, but I don't like to see hams in wealthy countries profiting from their QSL operation.

Welcome to the forum!

Chris/NU1O

I sent an email to Mohsen to confirm our contacts dating back to 2001. He promptly came back and confirmed our QSO's and also mentioned to read his QRZ page. I sent what he asked since I wanted to get confirmation in CW, SSB and RTTY. I even went the extra mile to send registered. Quite the expensive venture, $10 + IRC and then Postage of almost $2 + $14 to get it registered. At this rate I wont be getting too many more band/mode fills other than the 3 contacts that I have. Thought I should do this prior to me retiring and being on a fixed income. Hopefully soon I can report on the whole situation. Stay Tuned.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »

I guess the key issues is whether or not has anybody gotten a card back from Moshen yet. I worked him in 2010 on 15 SSB (new band) and just now on 20m CW (new mode). I don't mind doing that once but before I send ~$22 into the black hole I want to know whether or not I'm likely to get a reply!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »

With the way things are between Iran and the USA I am surprised that any money ever makes it to the Ham Ops in Iran.  I would imagine that every single letter from or to the USA is opened and read!  That means that the examiner must be someone with ethics if he does not pocket the $10 in the envelope.

On another topic, I saw a CNN news article last week about how popular the USA Wrestling team is in Iran and that they go there every year for a good will tournament.  I wonder if someone with a connection to the USA team could see if a USA DXpedition could tag along with next years team.  I don't think it could hurt to ask the USA team managers and see if Iran would allow it.  Also why can't the Chinese Hams see if they can get permission for a dxpedition? Both countries seem to be such good buddies.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 07:14:50 AM »

I guess the key issues is whether or not has anybody gotten a card back from Moshen yet. I worked him in 2010 on 15 SSB (new band) and just now on 20m CW (new mode). I don't mind doing that once but before I send ~$22 into the black hole I want to know whether or not I'm likely to get a reply!
Pete,

There are two angry Europeans lashing out at him in the comment section of DX Summit.  One is warning people to save their money and the other is calling him a not so nice name.  He clearly has pissed some folks off.  I wonder how active the Iranian who uses LoTW is?

Chris/NU1O
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »

Pete,

There are two angry Europeans lashing out at him in the comment section of DX Summit.  One is warning people to save their money and the other is calling him a not so nice name.  He clearly has pissed some folks off.  I wonder how active the Iranian who uses LoTW is?

Chris/NU1O

EP3PK is reasonably active. Maybe once a quarter. I have emailed him in the past and got a response within a week. Couldn't get our times coordinated to do a sked. I think if I take a week off of work this year, I will make it my goal to get him. For some reason I have a hard time hearing that part of Asia.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »

The first time I worked ABu-Baker, 5A1A, I sent the QSL registered mail, as he asked for, and it was $12 postage or something like that.  Don't remember how much I had to enclose in it for return postage. You want a new one confirmed, you do what it takes.

I have a QSL from EP3SMH back in 2001.  Can't remember how much return postage I needed or how I sent it there.  He did send me back a sticker of the Iranian flag along with the QSL.

John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »

A year ago, I worked Pooyan, EP3PK. He is a very nice fellow, and he is working on replacing his dipole (20M Extended Double Zepp way up high) with a wire beam with all upper bands.

My advice is to follow spots for him - especially starting in the latter part of March.

Last year, conditions from the West Coast did not allow a Q from December until March - when right during mid - month - all of a sudden I heard his QRS CW - and almost fell out of my chair.

He is a good CW op - but it is QRS. I'm glad it was, because it was distinctive, clear and kinda "surreal".

You guys know how that goes - you listen for some rare DX on a difficult path and hear nothing for months, and then "one fine day". . . . .

The solar "numbers" were SSN = 80 SFU = 141  KP = 2  - so - it was quiet. The QSO was not too long after sunrise, so it might have been greyline - definately on the SP. I did not hear him on the LP. I was running 800 watts and a Cushcraft A3S up 45'.

He had been working East Coast and up through Central states from December to March - but then, the West Coast finally had a turn.

AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

I had started one of the other threads on this subject a few days ago after working Iran for an ATNO.  My plan is to try something unusual.  I have in laws in Japan. I am going to send my card, "SAE" and some $$$ to my in laws, have them mail my contents in a letter of Japanese origin and writing to EP3SMH, with the return going to Japan. My guess is the Iranian inspectors may not bother with such a letter.  Will let you know.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:20 PM »

I had started one of the other threads on this subject a few days ago after working Iran for an ATNO.  My plan is to try something unusual.  I have in laws in Japan. I am going to send my card, "SAE" and some $$$ to my in laws, have them mail my contents in a letter of Japanese origin and writing to EP3SMH, with the return going to Japan. My guess is the Iranian inspectors may not bother with such a letter.  Will let you know.

Before you do anything you should write him a note asking what is the safest way to QSL him.  And whether sending GS in a letter will be confiscated.  I'm sure he will know the answer.  GL and congrats on an ATNO.  I NEED to devise a way to work EP.  Moving to the East Coast is not an option!

Jonathan W6GX
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »

Before you do anything you should write him a note asking what is the safest way to QSL him.  And whether sending GS in a letter will be confiscated.  I'm sure he will know the answer.  GL and congrats on an ATNO.  I NEED to devise a way to work EP.  Moving to the East Coast is not an option!

Jonathan W6GX

An Update:

Just got an email today from Mohsen. He has received my card ok, but they are just starting their New Year festivities so there will be a slight delay in getting his card out. Things are looking good though. As mentioned in my previous post it was expensive but since it covered 3 modes (CW/SSB/RTTY) I think the added cost is worth it.

Mohsen did mention in his email that he also got a card from K8CCP, but Virgil has no email address attached to his QRZ Page, so if anyone knows Virgil, pass onto to him that EP3SMH (Mohsen) received his card as well.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »

There was another thread on this subject.  I had thought of the same thing until Zack brought up this info. to the group.  See http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

I wouldn't mind paying $9 for a QSL if I had worked EP for an ATNO.  I couldn't hear him this morning but of course it's too early for an opening on 10m here in CO Cry

Jonathan W6GX

It wouldn't bother me at all to pay his outgoing postal rate in exchange for a QSL card....
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:34 PM »

There was another thread on this subject.  I had thought of the same thing until Zack brought up this info. to the group.  See http://www.k4hb.com/postage.html

I wouldn't mind paying $9 for a QSL if I had worked EP for an ATNO.  I couldn't hear him this morning but of course it's too early for an opening on 10m here in CO Cry

Jonathan W6GX

It wouldn't bother me at all to pay his outgoing postal rate in exchange for a QSL card....

I still have never heard EP or AP..... dont know why, cause I have worked all around them.  Oh well, some day...... maybe.  Does either work CW?

73, Gene AF3Y
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: