Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AOR8000 and AM Broadcast bands  (Read 595 times)
WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »

I purchased a used AOR8000 a while back on the basis that it was also supposed to be good on HF bands. I have been able to pick up stations from around the world and SSB on it. However, I notice that stations on MW and LW are very hissy, even those with a strong signal on the signal strength meter. The same stations (for example BBC World Service on 198khz) come through loud and clear on my DX394. I've tried both on the rubber duckie, a telecopic whip and the random wire antena + earth (10m approx) that I use for the DX394. It makes no difference, the station is audible only with difficulty over the hiss.

Now I know that this is not really a broadcast band receiver and although you can dial in down to 100khz, the specs say 500khz, so I wasn't expecting much on DX stations, but I was hoping that stations that come in 7-9 on the scale on my DX394 to come in loud and clear.

Is this down to the age of the scanner (approx 12 years I think - would capacitors start to go at this age?) or is it simply not suitable for this purpose?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: