Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleep Sending???  (Read 588 times)
MOTOR486

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »

I was in a QSO the other night, and very very sleepy; I wasn't going to go to bed until I made a QSO, conditions be damned.  I seemed to have dozed off while sending - goodness knows for how long; probably for just a few seconds. When I "came to" I was still sending. I have no idea what I was sending. I apologized and ended the QSO.
  Has this ever happened to anyone else?? I think it just shows my dedication..... hi hi.

Rob Frailing
AJ4SB
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »

So I guess that was you sending  --..  --..  --..  --..
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:02:45 AM »

Rob,

I've fallen asleep while sending too and then suddenly awakened only to wonder what I sent while out for a few seconds. I remember it happening several times 40 years ago while I was a teen-ager and a new ham eager to stay up all night to explore DX conditions on 40 meters, etc.

Weird feeling, huh? I just hope I was on my best behavior during my several-seconds catnap. Never got an OO card or FCC notice so it couldn't have been too bad...hi hi.

73, Dave, N4KZ
KL2TC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

I've done this a time or two...perhaps more.  I awakened one time with this high pitched wail, oops..."just calibrating the antenna!"  Nothing to see here (or hear here for that matter).  Thinking upon it now, I may have set the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest Morse "T"!

Al
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »

In military code school I was often just barely conscious in the mornings. The instructor was sure I was sleeping but he'd check my copy and it was near perfect so what the heck. But I guess that was "sleep receiving" :-) It was all 5 letter code groups so nothing to think about anyway. The correct finger just moved in response to the code.
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »

I had a little too much to drink on New Years 2007 and got on the radio for Straight Key Night while DXing from St. Helena island as ZD7X.........From what I remember the results were NOT pretty.

I learned my lesson & haven't done it since, hihi.

Tom KC├śW
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:21 PM »

Corollary to that... have you ever had a CW QSO where you
could not hear the other station but your hand kept writing
and you'd glance down once in a while and read the received
text? I've done that.

Alan
WB6THE
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »

Alan, yes, sometimes I'm truly amazed at what my magic pencil can copy. 73 de tom
N9GXA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:58:02 PM »

Yes Rob-

I have dozed off. When I "came to" it was such a jolt that I forgot what I was just sending while sleeping. I send a few BT's, back up and resend a bit. It's a funny feeling.

Been there, done that...
73 - Paul - N9GXA
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:50:23 PM »

CW is very relaxing, and this has happened to me, too.

Not in a contest.  :-P

But in a ragchew, yep.  I operate in a dimly lit shack and have my eyes closed half the time, anyway...so I'm halfway there to begin with!

It is the most relaxing mode, for sure.

I try to keep the conversation interesting enough that it doesn't happen.
AD7WN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 08:55:38 PM »

This happened to me once in the army in 1954: a few hours at the em club, then pulling an all night shift as a brasspounder.

I was sending coded traffic.  One second I was studiously sending coded groups, next thing I knew I was sending some drivel.  I woke up when the other guy broke in with "AA 28," meaning repeat all after group 28, the last group I had sent in a sensible manner.  So, I resumed sending with group 28.  When I finished and signed, the other guy QSLd like nothing unusual had happened.

Unusual, yes.  But it's happened to others.

73 de John/AD7WN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: