Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S01MZ active  (Read 2588 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 01:07:03 AM »

I need S0 for a ATNO and was home yesterday when he was active.

I am very upset with myself for missing him.

Very  Angry Angry Angry

Trevor
EI2GLB
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:31 AM »

The $64K qustion is why he wasn't running split.

I have often wondered this question (about experienced well-known DX ops, especially middle east and asia on the low bands, 80/160) out loud as well.

The most informed responses I get, are to the effect that either

1: Callers are supposed to organize and behave themselves

or

2: The DX end may be dominated by industrial QRM or QRN, and he may not be able to hear all the callers the way that we can on our end

Both have some validity. I myself would welcome the DX going split earlier rather than later. Usually I'm just waiting on the edge of my seat, waiting for the DX to announce UP, and it is pretty sweet to work the DX the instant he goes split.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »

Good points, Chris. 

I don't recall making any comments about CB'ers in my post (I got started that way as well as a teenager).  Apologies if I did.  My comment was only referring to the stations who continued to call without listening to the frequency, and who transmitted over the station that S0 was replying to...or just kept calling on top of the S0 station.  I had the same situation as Jonathan, and after listening for 5 minutes I "spun the dial" and decided it was a no-win.  Even if he did hear me, I was not going to be able to hear him. 

Maybe I have not heard a rare DX station operate simplex in awhile (S0 is not, IMHO, rare DX, but that's just me).  But I don't recall that level of chaos on SSB since the 3Y DXped in 1978 when half SSB band on 20 had stations calling him (yep, from 14200 to 14270) hoping they would get a response.  Nobody knew where he would reply to, and there was no single transmit fequency for the DX for split (apparently the method chosen was to operate simplex and just pick a frequency where someone was calling the DX and reply, then move on).  I did not have SSB xmit capability back then, but I remember saying that I was glad I did CW DX only.  Even the CW simplex DX I worked did not seem as chaotic back then, even if it wasn't split. (Also, Chris, I was a lot younger and more patient back then...I am an OT now and I get crabby sometimes!)

For me, the one thing that drives me bananas is when another station calls on top of the DX station (whether the DX is split or simplex).  That one behavior (which includes cops and tuner-uppers) is something I can tolerate for about 2-3 minutes, then I leave the frequency or the shack.  It happend Tue night on 80 and 40 CW with 9U4U.  I was able to come back Wed night and get them  on 40, luckily.  For whatever reason, it's like "nails on a chalkboard" for me and I don't get mad anymore...I just QRT to chase another day.

Back to the S0 station: from my QTH with my hex beam, the EU stations were S9 +20 and the S0 station was S5.  It took several minutes before I could actually hear his signal clear enough to hear him identify himself (did not want to call until I knew it was S0 and I heard the ID).  But by then I was at my limit.

I agree with N3QE, I am ready to pounce as soon as he/she says "split"

I envy your Skyhawk.

Thanks for your comments to Simon, Chris. I think we hams should do everything we can to help Simon succeed in his Burma quest.  I am confident the DX orgs would HAPPILY contribute a rig that has some sort of split capability.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »

@ WD4ELG

The offer of a rig is appreciated, but if anyone donates a rig or funds to help me, then I would feel somewhat morally obliged to agree to their wishes re QSOs, bands etc.

In any case, I'm still working away at the licence.  The previous telecoms boss in Myanmar is now under house-arrest and a new minister has just been installed. So I've dropped him a nice letter etc.  I expect he won't have time to meet me for a beer or two, but you never know... Smiley

Simon
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 05:43:34 AM »

If you truly have an old enough rig that does not have split funtionality, often the RIT control can provide enough of a split to be useful.

I had an old Yaesu FT7 for a long time which had no split function.  I modified the RIT so that instead of ~+/-7 KHz it would tune 0 to - 14 KHz which would allow for me to TX up to +14K which was and still is the most common usage on the upper HF bands.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:08:38 AM by WB3BEL » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »

Back to the S0 station: from my QTH with my hex beam, the EU stations were S9 +20 and the S0 station was S5.  It took several minutes before I could actually hear his signal clear enough to hear him identify himself (did not want to call until I knew it was S0 and I heard the ID).  But by then I was at my limit.

Good Morning Mark,

Based on what you and Jonathan are reporting I obviously did not hear the mess many other's heard. I also would've shut off the rig if I heard what you guys did.

I had no idea Western Sahara is so far up the list on the most wanted countries. I haven't heard a S0 station in the 2 1/2 years I've been active again and my only contact goes back to 1990. I don't even have those QSOs typed into my computer log yet.

We all make compromises, Mark. You have an antenna resonant on 5 bands while mine is only resonant on 3 bands. I guess I get more side rejection and more gain. I've never studied the specs for a Hex Beam but I will now out of curiosity.

Thanks for your comments to Simon, Chris. I think we hams should do everything we can to help Simon succeed in his Burma quest.  I am confident the DX orgs would HAPPILY contribute a rig that has some sort of split capability.

I have been rooting for Simon to get that Burmese license because I have never worked the country. His remark about working simplex really caught me by surprise. I thought he was joking but based on his post while I was sleeping it's now obvious he is not.

The first few days PT0S operated they were 15 to 20 wide and they were operating CW! They had the problem of copying Europe and North America at the same time just like S01MZ did yesterday. I did not enter the PT0S pileups until they thinned out.

I don't even want to contemplate what the band would sound like if a Burmese station operated simplex.  There is more demand for Burma than SPSP since it hasn't been activated for so long. If Simon gets the license he is aiming for I really hope somebody can convince him simplex is a very bad idea and the community should be able to provide a loaner. I would be willing to chip in for transportation costs in addition to my normal contribution.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »

All the stuff I worked was 2003 or before.  Any ideas why the lack of recent DXpeditions?

John AF5CC

S01MZ in 2008 andf S04R in 2009.  Both were easy, even in crap condx.
73, Gene AF3Y
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:56 AM »

I need S0 for an ATNO. I missed the 2009 DXpedition there. S01MZ is sporadically active but the east coast wall is mighty tough these days. Too many OM's chasing CQ Marathon and other annual awards.

As for Simon and Myanmar, there would be plenty of support if:
1) He obtained DXCC approval for his XZ1K activity.
2) Abandoned his simplex/PSK only stance.
3) Obtained a valid XZ license.
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »

I've heard him a couple of times in the past year and he's always working simplex.  Yes, there's always a massive pileup and the dx code of conduct got lost in the shuffle.  Some hams suffer from diarrhea of the mouth and they forgot how to listen.   The EU wall is pretty massive also.  The upside to the mess is that he QSls quickly, it took 2 months to get a return card and he's approved by the DXCC desk for credit according to them.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »

This is off-topic on this thread, but I'll quickly comment back.

As for Simon and Myanmar, there would be plenty of support if:
1) He obtained DXCC approval for his XZ1K activity.
2) Abandoned his simplex/PSK only stance.
3) Obtained a valid XZ license.

1 - I still hold the XZ1K call for operation from Tanintharyi State (southern Myanmar).  But unless I physically return to that region, (not planned), I cannot copy the licence paper from the military commander who has possession of it.

2 - If I manage to obtain an XZ licence for Yangon, my operation will be lowish power and low key - no large antennas, no high power.  I don't think some of you realise how 'sensitive' the operation of a radio transceiver by a foreigner is over here.  This country has internal armed conflict on both west and east sides.

3 - I'm sure that after I've done all the hard work to obtain a licence, everyone man and his dog will come out of the woodwork and praise me and offer to help.  That was made very clear to me by the almost total lack of support from your national radio clubs when I asked for a letter of support for my XZ licence request - (and I asked the ARRL, RSGB and more than 50 other national radio clubs on three separate occasions - the response was deafening).

So, with that sort of attitude from the radio clubs, are you hardly surprised that ham radio operation is now way down on my list of 'things to do' in Myanmar? Higher up the list is my charitable work for schools, my interest in learning Myanmar language, my wish to improve my ability to play the Lao Khaen musical instrument, my work to manage my Phuket hotels etc etc.

I feel sorry for those hams who have given me support so far, namely many Japanese radio hams and Stan KH6CG, and if I ever see this fabled XZ licence for Yangon, then I'll be sure to set up skeds with those guys.  But my QSOs will be made on the basis of 'search and pounce' and having a nice ragchew, not running thousands of QSOs a day just to give someone a new DXCC.

If that doesn't make you feel happy, can I politely suggest that you say goodbye to your wife and kids, (just like I did 9 months ago), pack your suitcase, find a paid job in Myanmar, and start doing your own hard work to get an XZ licence.

Simon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:10:17 PM by HS0ZIB » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »

Simon, you are naive if you think these organizations are going to endorse you or any other ham. It does not work that way. I'm sure there is appreciation for your efforts. Results will bring even more appreciation.  As a fellow DXer, I can tell you that your family should always come first over amateur radio.   Lastly the finest rewards that you'll get for activating rare countries is the fun and friendships and great memories that you make along the way.
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »

I thought the lack of support was due to not participating in the bureau or lotw and demanding $5 for a qsl card.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »

I thought the lack of support was due to not participating in the bureau or lotw and demanding $5 for a qsl card.

I wasn't aware that there was a QSL bureau in Myanmar...
Why should I use LOTW when the vast majority of my contacts are in Asia and also do not use LOTW?
$5 for an online verification is entirely in line with other DX stations - nothing new there.  And you could always just send 1 IRC to my Thai mailing address for the QSL, (just like the Japanese hams who QSOd me as XZ1K did).

Anyway, this is all off-topic on this thread.

Simon

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:39 PM »

I wasn't aware that there was a QSL bureau in Myanmar...
Why should I use LOTW when the vast majority of my contacts are in Asia and also do not use LOTW?
$5 for an online verification is entirely in line with other DX stations - nothing new there.  And you could always just send 1 IRC to my Thai mailing address for the QSL, (just like the Japanese hams who QSOd me as XZ1K did).

Anyway, this is all off-topic on this thread.

Simon

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your efforts on activating a rare DXCC. IMHO the issue at heart is that this is the wrong forum for you. You see, most of us here are hard core dxers.  Your operating philosophy doesn't resonate well with most of us.  Your preferences of using low power and simplex operation aren't likely to give out a 'new one' to many across a wide geography. A true DXer will operate at odd times in order to take advantage of short band openings to hard-to-reach places. This is a lot to sacrifice for and it's not for everyone.  And big pile ups are not for everyone.  The DX community will embrace any operation that fits in the spirit of true DXing.  GL and best wishes to your endeavor.

Jonathan W6GX
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:33:43 PM by KF7BBJ » Logged
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »

Hi Simon,

I appreciate your efforts on activating a rare DXCC. IMHO the issue at heart is that this is the wrong forum for you. You see, most of us here are hard core dxers.  Your operating philosophy doesn't resonate well with most us.  Your preferences of using low power and simplex operation aren't likely to give out a 'new one' to many across a wide geography. A true DXer will operate at odd times in order to take advantage of short band openings to hard-to-reach places. This is a lot to sacrifice for and it's not for everyone.  And big pile ups are not for everyone.  The DX community will embrace any operation that fits in the spirit of true DXing.  GL and best wishes to your endeavor.

Jonathan W6GX

Excellent response, Jonathan!

The typical hams who go on expeditions have one important goal in common:  to put the country they have activated into as many logbooks worldwide as possible. Paul, N6PSE, has done that for us DXers on numerous occasions.

You are correct. Simon is not a DXer like those in the forum. That low power, smallish antenna station, with skeds for the Japanese, simplex operation, and ragchew QSOs will only frustrate the hell out of those of us who just want to work the country for a new one.

Simon's primary goal was never to give out Burma to as many hams as possible, and now his priority has shifted from the radio to his charitable work, learning the language, learning some esoteric musical instrument, and managing his hotel chain. He is naturally free to do as he pleases with his time but I'm glad he made public his current intentions because we will need to support some other ham or group if we want to work Burma. I think it's going to be a long way off, however.

Simon asks why he should upload to LoTW when most of his contacts are in Asia and don't use LoTW. How about to make things easier for those who do use LoTW?  I don't have any use for e-QSL or QRZ.com verifications but I upload my log regularly to those sites because many other hams do have a use for them. Uploading a log is not a big deal. It takes me less than a minute and if it makes a few people happy the time is well spent.

I also want to add that when I donate money for an online QSL it is because the ham(s) specifically traveled to a country to put it on the air and he/she has incurred costs to travel to the place activated. Paying $5 to somebody who lives in a country and works there is simply providing that person with a very large profit. That violates the whole spirit of QSLing. I think of people like Razi, YI1IRZ, who could charge a fee for an upload to LoTW because he is the most active ham in Iraq. Yet, Razi does not charge anything to upload to LoTW and he has given Iraq to thousands. Razi obviously is not in the hobby to make money.

Chris/NU1O
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:59:03 PM by NU1O » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: