Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XT2TT start today  (Read 7365 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »

(snip) I was in the same pile as you and I heard several Spanish stations with signals 20 over come on right over 7.165. (SNIP)

Jonathan W6GX

I hear VERY strong Spanish speaking stations here in Nevada all the time. Sometimes they are the only ones on the band. Maybe we need a new term... Guadalajara Gigawatt?  Grin

No kidding.  They sounded like they were broadcast stations on a ham band.

Jonathan W6GX

They were loud, 20 over s9 and I thought they were in Hawaii.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

Worse than ever on 40m right now...... Caller after caller after caller calling on the DX freq.  AMAZING!  It's like they opened the lid of the can of lids... hi hi  I dont think I have heard this many calling on the wrong freq in years................

Gene AF3Y
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »

You're right Gene, I thought I'd went back in time to when PT0S was on 40 except this time it was CW!  Pathetic!
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

Worse than ever on 40m right now...... Caller after caller after caller calling on the DX freq.  AMAZING!  It's like they opened the lid of the can of lids... hi hi  I dont think I have heard this many calling on the wrong freq in years................

Gene AF3Y

Yep, I shut if off.  It was making me want to drink!  Instead I put my 2000D on QRZ classifieds.  I want a new rig, so I figured that was the time to do it.  I HATE lids.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »

I haven't used my attic antenna  for over a year.  Very good memory though!
Today I fixed my antenna.  A vertical on my garage, which I have made over 180 countries in 1 year. Today, I made a QRP connect to ZL (5 watts) and another to croatia.  I have all the countries near Bukini Faso. Today I heard Senegal with no problems at all, I would have worked them, but I already have many QSO's from them. All of them.
I still can't hear a word from XT2TT.  It's not my antenna, nor my radio.
For one thing, from my QTH, they never seem to be on at the right time.  When they are, I never hear a peep.
So, what gives? My neighbour, 20 km from me has a 6 element bean at about 50 feet.  Yea, he heard them.
Me? nothing.  I refuse to believe it's my station.  Performs first class.

VA2FSQ
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »

I worked XT2TT last Friday on 20M with my temporary end-fed wire antenna. Since then, propagation has declined, with yesterday and today being especially poor. 6V7S was quite loud on 15M, especially in contrast with the other DX signals to the east, so I worked him for a third band. He seems to be located right on the ocean and that must help his signal a lot.

There's still time left to get XT2TT, but the propagation will have to improve for me to get them on another band.

It looks more and more like October 2011 was the peak for Cycle 24...

Dave, N6ORB
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:35 PM »

VA2FSQ - very interesting situation.  Definitely not your station.  I am not hearing them that loud here in US East Coast.  Not sure what their antennas are, though.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »

I wish my memory was that good. Your QRZ page says your antenna is in your attic.

I don't know who you heard in Senegal but if it was 6V7S he is in the capital Dakar which is right on the ocean so it's not comparable to Burkina Faso which is landlocked. 6V7S was booming in on 10 meters late this morning and no other stations were coming in from the East.

I heard them on 17 meters at about 1600Z and they were not blowing the doors down but they were S7. I had a nearby station QRMing them so I didn't try to work them and I haven't had the radio on since.

Mark, WD4ELG, is having a hard time copying them in NC and he has 307 "countries" worked. The culprit could be the big drop in solar activity we have had in recent days.

I still think your antenna is playing a factor but only you know what you normally hear and what you do not.

73 and I hope you work them,

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 12:45:22 AM »

Well, I have worked XT2TT, but only on 12 meters CW, which was the band/mode I needed. I have listened and put in a few calls at other times, but with little success.

BTW, they have been rather weak, as compared to the 9U4U Burundi expedition. Dont know what their problems are, but they are not booming, at least here in Florida.

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:58 AM »

Gene AF3Y

Do you ever work 10 meters, Gene?  Unless there is a contest there are usually few stations on the band.  I often have to resort to a CQ or CQ DX to get people to come back to me. You won't have the problem with LIDs since there are so few stations on the band and Florida is a great state to work 10 meters from.  I often hear guys down South working countries I can't even hear in MA. 

20 meters is probably the band I work the least for the simple reason it is always packed and I'm seldom on 40 since I only have an inverted Vee and it is very noisy. 15 meters is the band I use the most after 10. I'm trying to work as many countries as I can on the high bands before they shut down. Being on 10 meters a lot is probably the reason I am not seeing the vast number of LIDs you guys are complaining about.

Chris/NU1O
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »

Gene AF3Y

Do you ever work 10 meters, Gene?  Unless there is a contest there are usually few stations on the band.  I often have to resort to a CQ or CQ DX to get people to come back to me. You won't have the problem with LIDs since there are so few stations on the band and Florida is a great state to work 10 meters from.  I often hear guys down South working countries I can't even hear in MA. 

20 meters is probably the band I work the least for the simple reason it is always packed and I'm seldom on 40 since I only have an inverted Vee and it is very noisy. 15 meters is the band I use the most after 10. I'm trying to work as many countries as I can on the high bands before they shut down. Being on 10 meters a lot is probably the reason I am not seeing the vast number of LIDs you guys are complaining about.

Chris/NU1O

Lucky you for not having a good antenna on 40m so you don't hear 100% of the crap that goes on on that band.  10m is really good in terms of being lid free.  I guess it's selection propagation at work so not too many people could hear the same station.  At nightfall when 40m becomes open for the entire USA it gets really messy with both coasts calling.  The worst are the AF dxpeditions on 40m.  It's like a dog fight with 1,000 pit bulls.

Jonathan W6GX
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »

I wish my memory was that good. Your QRZ page says your antenna is in your attic.

I don't know who you heard in Senegal but if it was 6V7S he is in the capital Dakar which is right on the ocean so it's not comparable to Burkina Faso which is landlocked. 6V7S was booming in on 10 meters late this morning and no other stations were coming in from the East.

I heard them on 17 meters at about 1600Z and they were not blowing the doors down but they were S7. I had a nearby station QRMing them so I didn't try to work them and I haven't had the radio on since.

Mark, WD4ELG, is having a hard time copying them in NC and he has 307 "countries" worked. The culprit could be the big drop in solar activity we have had in recent days.

I still think your antenna is playing a factor but only you know what you normally hear and what you do not.

73 and I hope you work them,

Chris/NU1O

Yes it was 6V7S.  Of course my antenna IS playing a factor, its a vertical vs the beam 20 miles away that worked them.
Sigh, I'll have to rely on the propagation gods

VA2FSQ
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »

Yes it was 6V7S.  Of course my antenna IS playing a factor, its a vertical vs the beam 20 miles away that worked them.
Sigh, I'll have to rely on the propagation gods

In your previous post you wrote:

" It's not my antenna, nor my radio.
For one thing, from my QTH, they never seem to be on at the right time.  When they are, I never hear a peep.
So, what gives? My neighbour, 20 km from me has a 6 element bean at about 50 feet.  Yea, he heard them.
Me? nothing.  I refuse to believe it's my station.  Performs first class."

Yet this morning you claim the antenna is a factor. That was a quick change of mind.

If you can get a beam up into the air you will start working some of the same stations your neighbor with the beam is working.

If the vertical is the best you can do I'm afraid you better get used to a lot of frustration.  180 countries in 1 year is not a lot.  If one works all of Europe, The Caribbean, South America, and the easy countries in Africa the total is right around 180.  That leaves all the countries that are in Asia, East, South, and Central Africa, the Indian Ocean, and the Pacific islands.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »

Do you ever work 10 meters, Gene?  73,

Chris/NU1O

Yep, presently 126 worked and 96 confirmed there on 10.

Strange thing tho, when I replaced my UnUn last month, now my 31' wire vertical
will NOT tune on 10m with the tuner.  The new/replacement UnUn (DX Engineering) is made for the 43' vertical, but I really
did not think it would matter.. Huh

I actually have a S-9 43' version laying down next to my home. I could go out and swap out
the 31' for the 43', but just lazy, I guess. Cool Probably take less than 10 min. (Probably help out
the tuner making it work on 80 meters too, compared to the 31'....)

73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:34:45 AM by AF3Y » Logged
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »

Got them on 20 and 17 tonight.  Tonight was really my first time trying very hard. I still want them on 15 and 40 but happy to get them anywhere I can.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: