Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XT2TT start today  (Read 7727 times)
VA2FSQ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 09:25:12 PM »

Yes it was 6V7S.  Of course my antenna IS playing a factor, its a vertical vs the beam 20 miles away that worked them.
Sigh, I'll have to rely on the propagation gods

In your previous post you wrote:

" It's not my antenna, nor my radio.
For one thing, from my QTH, they never seem to be on at the right time.  When they are, I never hear a peep.
So, what gives? My neighbour, 20 km from me has a 6 element bean at about 50 feet.  Yea, he heard them.
Me? nothing.  I refuse to believe it's my station.  Performs first class."

Yet this morning you claim the antenna is a factor. That was a quick change of mind.

If you can get a beam up into the air you will start working some of the same stations your neighbor with the beam is working.

If the vertical is the best you can do I'm afraid you better get used to a lot of frustration.  180 countries in 1 year is not a lot.  If one works all of Europe, The Caribbean, South America, and the easy countries in Africa the total is right around 180.  That leaves all the countries that are in Asia, East, South, and Central Africa, the Indian Ocean, and the Pacific islands.

Chris/NU1O
Hmm, are you a lid?  I bet you get the DX then you get on the frequency and cause havoc to all the other hams.
You are the very first ham that has been condescending to me. You assume a lot.  I have all those areas you mention, in one year.  Proud of it. But not really proud that there are people like you who think you are above everyone else.
try to be a ham not a lid
73's
Oh you really don't deserve a 73
Oh, and I edited this, it really was much worse the first couple of times.  But i think you deserve it looking at some of your past posts.
oh, one more thing..."sideways"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:13:37 PM by VA2FSQ » Logged

VA2FSQ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 10:56:42 PM »

Hi Tom,

Please take a deep breath and read on.

One really doesn't know how well his antenna is working until he has compared his antenna to a reference antenna.  You may think your antenna is working fine but have you compared it to another antenna simultaneously?  I have with mine and I almost fell out of my chair when I heard a recording of what another local ham heard on the same frequency- he was hearing five S units better than me.  Yes, that's right, five S units is 30db.  In another instance he was armchair copying a HL station and I couldn't even hear a peep.  I suggest you do a real-time comparison of your antenna against that ham who has a six element yagi.  Have him do a recording of the audio so that you could listen to what he hears.  This will give you a true answer on how well your station is working.

I have read posts from many hams who said they could work everything they could hear so his antenna must be really good.  What if the ham can't hear half the stations the other guys could?  After some on-the-air testing I've learned my lesson not to think that way.  Follow my advice and perform the test.  It's the best thing you could do. GL and 73.

Jonathan W6GX
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 02:25:40 AM »

Yes it was 6V7S.  Of course my antenna IS playing a factor, its a vertical vs the beam 20 miles away that worked them.
Sigh, I'll have to rely on the propagation gods

In your previous post you wrote:

" It's not my antenna, nor my radio.
For one thing, from my QTH, they never seem to be on at the right time.  When they are, I never hear a peep.
So, what gives? My neighbour, 20 km from me has a 6 element bean at about 50 feet.  Yea, he heard them.
Me? nothing.  I refuse to believe it's my station.  Performs first class."

Yet this morning you claim the antenna is a factor. That was a quick change of mind.

If you can get a beam up into the air you will start working some of the same stations your neighbor with the beam is working.

If the vertical is the best you can do I'm afraid you better get used to a lot of frustration.  180 countries in 1 year is not a lot.  If one works all of Europe, The Caribbean, South America, and the easy countries in Africa the total is right around 180.  That leaves all the countries that are in Asia, East, South, and Central Africa, the Indian Ocean, and the Pacific islands.

Chris/NU1O
Hmm, are you a lid?  I bet you get the DX then you get on the frequency and cause havoc to all the other hams.
You are the very first ham that has been condescending to me. You assume a lot.  I have all those areas you mention, in one year.  Proud of it. But not really proud that there are people like you who think you are above everyone else.
73's
Oh, and I edited this, it really was much worse the first couple of times.  But i think you deserve it looking at some of your past posts.

Tom:

I think frustration is starting to set in. Be patient, XT2TT will be in location for another week. There has been stations that I have a heck of a time with ie YA. I just can't seem to get them on phone, got them on other modes but not phone and sometimes it just drives me nuts. Do the best you can with what you have. Sometimes luck has a lot to do with it. Keep your rig on the best band that your vertical favours. If so required, make XT2TT your prime focus. I am sure that you will work them prior to their departure. In the end, it is only a hobby. There will be another activation sometime down the road. Others here are offering suggestions, facts etc. We are all from the same fraternitiy and no need to get upset with others when the offer their opinions, observations etc. Good Luck and use your time wisely this weekend and I am confident you will get XT2TT on some band. (They seem to favour 20 and 15) so keep your rig on those freqs etc.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

PS: QRZ says that we are 271km apart (As the crow flies) just like RF....

AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:42 AM »

Hmm, are you a lid?  I bet you get the DX then you get on the frequency and cause havoc to all the other hams.
You are the very first ham that has been condescending to me. You assume a lot.  I have all those areas you mention, in one year.  Proud of it. But not really proud that there are people like you who think you are above everyone else.
73's
Oh, and I edited this, it really was much worse the first couple of times.  But i think you deserve it looking at some of your past posts.

That's not called for and inappropriate.  You accusations are based on unsubstantiated information.  Sad
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:53 AM »

On how workable XT2TT is or isn't....

They were super easy for me on 30, 40, and 80 in early evening. I think they do a good job choosing time of day for low band operation to NA. And they clearly have very good low band antennas.

The high band, I'm not home much during the daylight hours. But when I heard and worked them on 12M Sunday AM, they had a truly excellent signal, super loud.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »

I still can't hear a word from XT2TT.  It's not my antenna, nor my radio.
For one thing, from my QTH, they never seem to be on at the right time.  When they are, I never hear a peep.
So, what gives? My neighbour, 20 km from me has a 6 element bean at about 50 feet.  Yea, he heard them.
Me? nothing.  I refuse to believe it's my station.  Performs first class.

What gives is, he is either in a better location than you (yes, 20km can make a difference) or, obviously, since it is beam vs vertical, he has a better antenna than you.

I had a vertical before I installed my T-8. After that, there were many times I could copy dx on the beam I couldn't hear on the vertical.  That's with the antennas yards apart, not km. There can be that much of a difference at times. It got to where I never used it, so the vertical is now in the barn.

Hmm, are you a lid?  I bet you get the DX then you get on the frequency and cause havoc to all the other hams.
You are the very first ham that has been condescending to me. You assume a lot.  I have all those areas you mention, in one year.  Proud of it. But not really proud that there are people like you who think you are above everyone else.
73's
Oh, and I edited this, it really was much worse the first couple of times.  But i think you deserve it looking at some of your past posts.

Chris can be blunt, direct, opinionated (just like a lot of others on the board, myself included) and he can also be helpful and try give pointers to those who ask, like most everyone else on this board.
 If you read his response as condescending, you probably read it wrong, as I don't recall ever reading anything he wrote as such. Nor have I come across anything that would considered "liddish".

On the other hand, you leave no doubt. Your response is you being an ass.

Sorry your antenna isn't working out for you with this dx-ped.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »

73's

I have a quarter century invested in this hobby and when I started I had a very lossy vertical and 100 watts.  Often times stations in my area would report DX at 59 or 599 and I could barely hear it.  I spent a lot of time reading antenna books and the problem was my ground mounted vertical needed an extensive radial system and mine only had two 15 foot radials so those other stations were not exagerrating their reports, I just had a very crummy antenna.

Just because you worked 181 countries with your vertical means absolutely nothing until you compare it to what stations running beams and amplifiers worked.  For the past two years I worked about 255 countries plus or minus 5. I've also worked clear across the US transmitting into my dummy load by accident and getting a 599 report so anything will radiate RF, the question is how efficiently it is radiating RF.

You can't work stations you can't hear and XT2TT was booming in to the North East yesterday at 599 on 15. I have them on 4 bands both CW and phone and three of the times I broke the pileup on my first call but I am running a 10 element Tribander at 55 feet and 1500 watts. That is an effective power of about 6,000 watts. I have heard XT2TT work enough VE2 and VE3 stations to know our propagation is fairly similar. Actually, you are closer to me than some of the states along the Atlantic seaboard.

Jonathan, KF7BBJ/W6GX has spent a lot of time reading about antennas lately and he built a hell of a station after just a few years in the hobby. He's giving you the same advice: if you compare that vertical to the locals running beams and you aren't hearing anything you have a big problem on your hands.

I'd also suggest you listen to your friend VE3YF because getting mad at me is not going to put XT2TT in your log. I think he is right: frustration has alredy set in but I was frustrated with my vertical too so I know what it is like when everybody is working a DX station and you are not.

I was trying to help you with both of my posts I wrote to you and I do hope you get your problems fixed. If you are ever going to work XT2TT it will be this weekend since the ARRL DX contest will draw many people away from their pileups. If you can work CW that's like adding 10db to your signal and that should be enough for you to get through - provided you can hear them.

When this DXpedition is over I really hope you run some comparsions. You will then find out exactly how many dB you are down versus other antennas and if the difference is much more than it should be you will have to determine what, if any, changes can be made.

Good luck and 73,

Chris/NU1O
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:27 AM »

http://www.reversebeacon.net/

You can use the reverse beacon net to see how well you are heard at DX locations.

I did a quick check this past weekend--I'm three S units down from W1MK in Europe on 80, which is actually pretty good considering he runs a four square and a 4-1000, so my vertical is actually doing pretty good!

Zack W1VT
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 07:35:34 AM »

N5MOA, Tom, summed up my personality pretty damn good.  I am blunt and I am opinionated but I am in the forum to help other hams when I can, and to get help when I need it. I've met a lot of nice people here in 5 years and it is a true fraternity. We all love DX or we would not be here.  Personalities are naturally very different.

Once in awhile I write something on the spur of the moment and since I know I am blunt, on occasion I hold a message until this next day. At times I have not sent the message at all, while sometimes I have revised my message, and there are also messages that went out as originally written but the next day.  I learned that little trick after reading a biography about President Lincoln during the Civil War.

I did not consider the messages I wrote to VA2FSQ as imflammatory so I just sent them out right away. I guess it shows how wrong I can be.

Chris/NU1O
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »

A vertical on my garage, which I have made over 180 countries in 1 year.

In which case you probably already know it, but: 30, 40, and 80 will be very very reliable to Africa in the early evening. And just before our sunset, 30M will be especially good. Obviously I can't guarantee XT2TT's schedule but they've been very active on these bands on CW at these times, clearly the prime hours for north america.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:17 AM »

73 De Mike
VE3YF

PS: QRZ says that we are 271km apart (As the crow flies) just like RF....

QRZ says I am 395 km from VA2FSQ and 571 km from Mike, VE3YF. Maryland is about 500 km from me for comparison.

Mike, VE3YF, we have a lot in common. I was born in 1959, like you. I also played all the major sports until about age 18 but I loved baseball the most. I am a huge baseball fan. I'm a Red Sox fan so we were the lovable losers until we broke "The curse of the bambino" back in 2004. Now we are hated because the Sox have a huge payroll. l'm also thinking of installing something for 40 meters and have considered your D140. My backup amplifier is a Heathkit SB1000 which is the same amp as your AL-80. You have a beautiful shack. Lot's of very top shelf equipment.

You have my gratitude for serving in your country's armed forces and for doing the tours in Bosnia, Kosovo, and Afghanistan. America couldn't have asked for a better ally and neighbor than our Canadian friends.

Chris/NU1O
KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

XT2TT is spotted on 28025 now. They are weak here, but
maybe I'll join the pileup, just for the halibut.
I must be lucky, I have found XT2TT on 8 occasions.

2 on 40  cw & ph
1 on 30  cw
2 on 20  rtty & ph
1 on 17  ph
1 on 15  cw
1 on 12  ph

4BTV on 10-15-20 & 40
Wiredoublet on WARC & 80.

Tried on 80- cw last night, no joy, but there is
always tonight.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

XT2TT is spotted on 28025 now. They are weak here, but
maybe I'll join the pileup, just for the halibut.
I must be lucky, I have found XT2TT on 8 occasions.

2 on 40  cw & ph
1 on 30  cw
2 on 20  rtty & ph
1 on 17  ph
1 on 15  cw
1 on 12  ph

4BTV on 10-15-20 & 40
Wiredoublet on WARC & 80.

Tried on 80- cw last night, no joy, but there is
always tonight.

I just tuned the rig to 28.025 and they are weak here in Mass. also. An accurate report would be 539 but I can copy them at that strength since there is no noise on the band. I have 4 elements on 10 meters at 55 feet. Preamp on the K3 is on.  Propagation has been lousy on 10 of late so I wasn't expecting much.  I have worked them on 10 meter CW and SSB, however. There is a lot of QSB on the band which is the norm as of late.

CX5CBA is working Europe on 28.012 and he is a legitimate 579 by comparison and off the side of the beam.  If the boys in Burkina Faso have a beam I wonder if it's pointed to Europe.

In the few minutes I was listening their signal dropped down to almost zero.  J38A just sent QRL a few times on 28.025 and hearing no reply he has taken over the frequency.

Chris/NU1O

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:35:50 AM by NU1O » Logged
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »

In which case you probably already know it, but: 30, 40, and 80 will be very very reliable to Africa in the early evening. And just before our sunset, 30M will be especially good. Obviously I can't guarantee XT2TT's schedule but they've been very active on these bands on CW at these times, clearly the prime hours for north america.

Actually I think my 30M QSO with XT2TT was one of the best so far. He certainly had a great signal here on the West Coast the day I worked him.

John K7KB
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

Actually I think my 30M QSO with XT2TT was one of the best so far. He certainly had a great signal here on the West Coast the day I worked him.

John K7KB

John:

Since Clipperton is a little behind schedule, maybe I will swing the beam back to the east and give it a whirl on 30m CW when XX2TT pop up again. I have been concentrating efforts for XX2TT on 80m the last couple of evenings, but I get on and they go QRX, only to find out they have shifted to 160m. Oh well lots of time left to get em on 80 and 30.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: