Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XT2TT start today  (Read 8631 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:06 AM »

Funny thing is - in my post I did not say "NU1O pushed your buttons". In fact, I wasn't even thinking about you per se.

You didn't say I pushed his buttons but why include that remark unless you were under the impression somebody set him off with some words. The only thing that set VA2FSQ off was too much booze.

I was joking when I talked about San Francisco falling into the ocean. Maybe the reason you blew it off was because you knew that. You won't believe the amount of kidding I get over the air about living in Massachusetts but I don't take it seriously. Both SF and Mass. are bastions of liberalism and most hams are politically conservative. I just hope Cape Cod doesn't fall into the ocean because I have a very nice home there.  Wink

Also, I don't drink alcohol when I'm on the radio or writing in the forum. It's a recipe for a disaster as he demonstarted. I'm lucky if I drink a glass of wine with dinner once a month but I still enjoy a few Scotches when I go out in the winter and some Gin and tonic during the hotter months.

I forgave him but I won't soon forget the choice words he had for me. That has never happened to me before in a ham forum or on the air.  

IMO, working XT2TT or antenna tips are the least of his concerns until he finds work.

Chris/NU1O

I agree with you on all points. I save the Double and Triple West Coast Style IPA's to celebrate an ATNO.

Boston and San Francisco are two of my favorite cities. I also really like Portland, Seattle, Spokane, Austin, Denver, Telluride, Santa Fe and Bend, Oregon.

I'm the odd slightly left of center guy at the ham radio conventions - fiscally conservative - I believe government and congress should be held to the same standards that it taxes its people with.  Shocked Otherwise I'm a dirty liberal.

My elmer - Brother Joe Tortoricci at Don Bosco College in Newton, NJ told me "Never talk about politics or religion on the radio".

I still listen to him - I want my hobby radio-technical "straight up" . . . so I just ignore that stuff when it comes up - hit the "next" arrow.

I turn to radio to get away from the endless barrage of hyped up overcharged political and religious "issues".

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:15:08 AM by KY6R » Logged
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »

Both SF and Mass. are bastions of liberalism and most hams are politically conservative.

i wonder if hams really are more politically conservative than Americans in general when you factor in age and demographics?

most of us are a mix of conservative and liberal viewpoints; somehow politicians and talking heads (and some hams on 75 meters) seem to be 100% conservative or liberal (and think that puts them in a favorable light)  Cheesy
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »

Both SF and Mass. are bastions of liberalism and most hams are politically conservative.

i wonder if hams really are more politically conservative than Americans in general when you factor in age and demographics?

most of us are a mix of conservative and liberal viewpoints; somehow politicians and talking heads (and some hams on 75 meters) seem to be 100% conservative or liberal (and think that puts them in a favorable light)  Cheesy

The 75M and even some 40M SSB guys who get totally hammered and then try to slur-talk religion and politics are real pieces or work . . . "pillars of society"?  Wink
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2013, 08:20:46 AM »

Turned on just after 13:00 UTC. Heard them on 10m and got them second call with 100W and a Moxon at 16ft above ground.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2013, 08:23:05 AM »

I've worked them on a few bands / modes now, not an ATNO for me but the band fills are nice. I'd like to try and get them on some of the higher bands (15,12,10,etc) but my antenna isn't the best performer up there. We'll see..
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »

Here is today's headline on the Drudge Report:

INCOMES DROP MOST IN 20 YEARS

I'm afraid a lot more people will be losing their jobs because this is the worst economy I can recall since I was in collge during the late 70's.

I am also a fiscal conservative. I blame all our Presidents and Congresses who have been running perpetual deficits since the late 60's, aside for a few years when Clinton was President and the Congress Republican. Although I was a conservative for most of my life I now think a split government is the best way to govern. I wouldn't give either the Democrats or Republicans complete control over the federal government because they have both proven to me they can't handle the power.

Chris/NU1O

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2013, 08:59:24 AM »

Here is today's headline on the Drudge Report:

INCOMES DROP MOST IN 20 YEARS

I'm afraid a lot more people will be losing their jobs because this is the worst economy I can recall since I was in collge during the late 70's.

I am also a fiscal conservative. I blame all our Presidents and Congresses who have been running perpetual deficits since the late 60's, aside for a few years when Clinton was President and the Congress Republican. Although I was a conservative for most of my life I now think a split government is the best way to govern. I wouldn't give either the Democrats or Republicans complete control over the federal government because they have both proven to me they can't handle the power.

Chris/NU1O

I probably should not send this post, but.... you guys got this political stuff started.

DRUDGE REPORT? You actually read that ultra far right wing stuff?  Not QUITE as bad as Hannity, Coulter and the fat junkie, Limbaugh or the crazy guy..... whats his name?  Beck.......

Before you yell, I dont like the FAR LEFT either.... MOST, if not all of these ENTERTAINERS, not newsmen, spout their filth ONLY because IT PAYS THEM WELL...........

Grew up in a very conservative deep south (SC)household. Held those views until I turned 65.  Now I am 100% liberal.  (My parents and Grandparents are dead. I can only assume they are turning over in their graves.)  Most people that I that tell that I am liberal just dont believe me.  AND...... yep, MOST of my close friends are far right conservatives. GO FIGURE. Roll Eyes

Finally, NO, I am not going to get into a political discussion on this forum. So, dont ask.......

WE NEED MORE DX.......... ARGGGGHHHHHH    (Then we would not have time for all this petty BS)

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2013, 09:08:44 AM »

Despite the Old Timers saying politics should be off the table, I find quite a few hams do get into political discussions but since it's normally a group that agree it doesn't result in the arguments the OTers were worried about.

Most hams I speak to are politically conservative. I don't find it surprising since we have a lot of hams with ties to the military and that is a very conservative institution.  We also have a lot of engineers in the hobby and I think by and large that is a fairly conservative group. I believe there have been polls taken which will back up my assertion.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »

I don't find it surprising since we have a lot of hams with ties to the military and that is a very conservative institution.  
Chris/NU1O

There is an exception or two. My 6 years in the US Army Security Agency left no doubts in my
mind that we were a group of mostly left leaning, highly trained/skilled technicians who were grossly underpaid. We were directly under the National Security Agency, and 95% of the messages outgoing from our comm center were headed to DIRNSA (Director......) NSA could not have hired qualified civilians to do our jobs at triple our salaries. They got quite a bargain from the 4 services with their ELINT and COMINT operations, being dispersed around the globe.

As such, with most of ASA soldiers being in the upper echelon of IQs, college educations,etc., MOST of us tended to consider ourselves technicians First, and Soldiers Second.  This did not sit well with most of our unit commanders, who tended to be "regular army". I can only guess, but I would be willing to wager that 80% or more of ASA (and probably NSG and AFSS as well)had politically left of center leanings. This does not mean we were not patriotic, or good soldiers (WE HAD TO BE), but we always considered ourselves technicians first.

We worked very hard on very important missions (and drank hard as well). hi hi

73, Gene AF3Y
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:39 AM »

Funny - that's exactly how I feel and would add that I think everyone should be able to pursue their happiness - as long as they don't hurt anyone else. Personal responsibility is high on my list.

OK - promise not to get into politics or religion anymore. Sorry - I slipped - sorry to screw up this thread.

Yes - when is that first rare ATNO going to be announced dang it?

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »

I probably should not send this post, but.... you guys got this political stuff started.

DRUDGE REPORT? You actually read that ultra far right wing stuff?  Not QUITE as bad as Hannity, Coulter and the fat junkie, Limbaugh or the crazy guy..... whats his name?  Beck.......
73, Gene AF3Y

Gene, You don't approve of anything I do.  Last week you lectured me for working WA2YUN in the ANZA Net and this week it's my choice of reading material. If you were paying attention to all my messages the other day I wrote I read the NY Times. I also read the Financial Times and the Wall Street Journal. I read a lot of news from online sources and many are foreign news sites.

I believe one should read both conservative and liberal news sources, as well as both foreign and domestic sites. It's the only way to truly get some balance. Perhaps you should read some right wing news sites to get some balance.

Whether you realize it or not, we now have a media which is in the bag for one political party and it does not report accurately on this president.  Bob Woodward is one of the most talented reporters in the history of this country and he is being attacked for his reporting of facts. Not opinions, facts.  We have not had a White House which threatened reporters like this White House regularly does since the Nixon era. Today, some reporter said he wished Woodward was dead.  This is the president who said he was going to bring us all together but the country has not been this divided since the Civil War!

That's my fill of politics for the day unless somebody writes something which truly demands a response.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:02 AM »

Funny - that's exactly how I feel and would add that I think everyone should be able to pursue their happiness - as long as they don't hurt anyone else. Personal responsibility is high on my list.

OK - promise not to get into politics or religion anymore. Sorry - I slipped - sorry to screw up this thread.

Yes - when is that first rare ATNO going to be announced dang it?

You are quite right, Rich. You do need to spend time with another fellow over a few drinks to really get to know them.  I have a feeling you and I have much more in common, besides a love of radio, than either of us imagine.

What did you do pull an all-nighter?  I know you are sometimes up late but I can't recall you ever writing so early my time.

Chris/NU1O

NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »

There is an exception or two. My 6 years in the US Army Security Agency left no doubts in my
mind that we were a group of mostly left leaning, highly trained/skilled technicians who were grossly underpaid. We were directly under the National Security Agency, and 95% of the messages outgoing from our comm center were headed to DIRNSA (Director......) NSA could not have hired qualified civilians to do our jobs at triple our salaries. They got quite a bargain from the 4 services with their ELINT and COMINT operations, being dispersed around the globe.

As such, with most of ASA soldiers being in the upper echelon of IQs, college educations,etc., MOST of us tended to consider ourselves technicians First, and Soldiers Second.  This did not sit well with most of our unit commanders, who tended to be "regular army". I can only guess, but I would be willing to wager that 80% or more of ASA (and probably NSG and AFSS as well)had politically left of center leanings. This does not mean we were not patriotic, or good soldiers (WE HAD TO BE), but we always considered ourselves technicians first.

73, Gene AF3Y
Gene,

Something did not make sense with this message and I finally figured it out.  You wrote you turned liberal when you were 65 yet you are including yourself when you say most of ASA were left-leaning. About a month ago I asked you a question about your time with ASA and you said it was so long ago you could no longer recall. Weren't you in ASA in your 20's and 30's?

Also, wouldn't you have been one of the few conservatives in a group of mostly left-leaning co-workers when you worked for ASA? And, if you held the strong beliefs you hold now wouldn't you have been constantly at odds with your co-workers anytime a political discussion arose? Also, just because 95% of your messages went to DIRNSA does not mean the Director actually read them. NSA is a huge Agency. It actually employs more than CIA although CIA's budget is probably more since they have a clandestine division which fights our off-the-books wars, and buys those expensive toys like Predator drones, not to mention the one's we never see or hear about.

You also have wrote you worked in heavy industry grading roads. I assume that came after your days with ASA and lasted until you retired?

Most people start receiving a social security check at about age 65 so if that is when you started receiving your check it doesn't surprise me that your political philosophy changed at that age. We all act out of our self-interest for the most part. When one is receiving a monthly check from Uncle Sam I can see why their views on government spending might change.

In essence, you went from being a payer to your Uncle to being a payeee of your Uncle!

You also can't blame your Uncle Sam for hiring military personel at a much lower pay scale than private contractors to do the work at ASA. The US has been at war since 9/11 but the military doesn't hire Blackwater employees at $200,000 a year to fight, they hire soldiers at about 1/10th the cost. We could not afford to pay every soldier $200,000 a year.

Comments please. You have me very confused.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:07 PM »

73, Gene AF3Y
Gene,

Something did not make sense with this message and I finally figured it out.  You wrote you turned liberal when you were 65 yet you are including yourself when you say most of ASA were left-leaning. About a month ago I asked you a question about your time with ASA and you said it was so long ago you could no longer recall. Weren't you in ASA in your 20's and 30's?

Also, wouldn't you have been one of the few conservatives in a group of mostly left-leaning co-workers when you worked for ASA? And, if you held the strong beliefs you hold now wouldn't you have been constantly at odds with your co-workers anytime a political discussion arose? Also, just because 95% of your messages went to DIRNSA does not mean the Director actually read them. NSA is a huge Agency. It actually employs more than CIA although CIA's budget is probably more since they have a clandestine division which fights our off-the-books wars, and buys those expensive toys like Predator drones, not to mention the one's we never see or hear about.

You also have wrote you worked in heavy industry grading roads. I assume that came after your days with ASA and lasted until you retired?

Most people start receiving a social security check at about age 65 so if that is when you started receiving your check it doesn't surprise me that your political philosophy changed at that age. We all act out of our self-interest for the most part. When one is receiving a monthly check from Uncle Sam I can see why their views on government spending might change.

In essence, you went from being a payer to your Uncle to being a payeee of your Uncle!

You also can't blame your Uncle Sam for hiring military personel at a much lower pay scale than private contractors to do the work at ASA. The US has been at war since 9/11 but the military doesn't hire Blackwater employees at $200,000 a year to fight, they hire soldiers at about 1/10th the cost. We could not afford to pay every soldier $200,000 a year.

Comments please. You have me very confused.

Chris/NU1O

I guess I could have said 'MORE' liberal when I turned 65. That answer your question?

However, When I was on active duty (yes, in my 20s), I did not really consider myself personally to be either. Most of our guys were quite liberal however.  I was one of the few ASA types that actually re-enlisted for a second tour. Most of our guys STRONGLY disliked the BS that goes with the military way of doing things and were glad to end their initial enlistments.. It did not bother me that much, and I really liked my job and sort of learned to tolerate the army ways. My ex wife did not like the service life, or I might have made it longer than 6 years. I really enjoyed our missions, etc.

I have not figured out yet what interests you so about my life. But, since you asked.... Getting out of the service, I went back to college for a year and got my associates degreee in civil engineering. I went to work for a Surveying and Engineering company. It did not take long to find out there were greener fields and more money in construction than engineering, and I went to work for a major road builder in NC as a Field Engineer. Years go by, a couple jobs come and go, and I ended up as a part owner for a road builder in Florida. Prior to retiring in 02, I sold my interest in the company.

I dont know what else might confuse you. 

The ONLY problem with this forum is the couple of people who think they cannot be faulted.  Why should I agree with or approve of something you post here, when I dont?  That does not make you wrong, but I dont think anyone else here agrees with everything you say. Different personalities here from condesending to almost sub-serviant seem to show up now and then. The former being more prevalent.

Satisified? I dont know what else to say.

73, Gene AF3Y
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:05 PM »

Despite the Old Timers saying politics should be off the table, I find quite a few hams do get into political discussions but since it's normally a group that agree it doesn't result in the arguments the OTers were worried about.

I think the reason old timers avoided partisan political discussions on the airwaves was more than just that they wanted to avoid heated arguments.  I think the airwaves were simply respected more and it was understood there is never just one side to any political argument and therefore airing a partisan political viewpoint on the air was simply bad form and not what radio communications should be about.  There are highly intelligent liberals and conservatives in the world and to act as though ones own opinion is THE opinion on any matter is small minded. Radio communication can potentially be heard around the world by many audiences at any time and licensed hams hopefully are aware of that and seek to foster local and international goodwill.

Thoreau once pointed out that although the telegraph made it possible for us to communicate between far away places, the real question is whether we have anything meaningful to say. (I believe that was the gist of it, i am paraphrasing and my memory isn't what it used to be HiHi)

73, K9AIM

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: