Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting new vido from Ham Radio Now  (Read 2062 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »

I found this video to be quite interesting and thought I'd share it
here:
http://arvideonews.com/hrn/HRN_Episode_0061.html

james
WD5GWY

Hmmmm, cannot edit the Subject line........sometimes I type a bit too fast.
Should be "Interesting new VIDEO from Ham Radio Now".
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »

I watched the video and understand that the new technology Flex6000 series allows a broadband view of HF spectrum, within limitations of antennas and tuners.  And I see the virtual multiple Internet-accessible receiver capabilities... 

But I am still unclear about the expected perceivable benefits for the CW-only op around signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, etc.  Will this radio be significantly better in those areas than the current high-end, more limited bandwidth receivers (e.g., K3/KX3, FT-5000, Flex 5000a, Orion II, Eagle...)?  Please clarify.   Thanks!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:43:15 AM »

I'm afraid those questions are outside my pay grade!  Grin
If you are near one of the hamfests that Flex Radio will be
attending in the next few months, you might pose those
questions to them.
  Or you could post them on their Facebook page and get
an answer there. Several of their programmers and engineers are on there
and "should" be able to give you an answer.  Also, you might ask
on the Flex Users Net on 14.329 +- each Sunday at 1pm CST.
Several of their people are there as well. And the net can also be heard on
Echolink (directions are on Flex Radio's website).
james
WD5GWY
YO9IRF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:59:02 AM »

I watched the video and understand that the new technology Flex6000 series allows a broadband view of HF spectrum, within limitations of antennas and tuners.  And I see the virtual multiple Internet-accessible receiver capabilities... 

But I am still unclear about the expected perceivable benefits for the CW-only op around signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, etc.  Will this radio be significantly better in those areas than the current high-end, more limited bandwidth receivers (e.g., K3/KX3, FT-5000, Flex 5000a, Orion II, Eagle...)?  Please clarify.   Thanks!

By the technical specs it should be better than what is out there at this moment, it is the first serious DDC/DUC ham radio transciever and the technology is superior. Even the US$1200 and a few years old Perseus reciever with it's 14bit 80Msps ADC is up there with the best of them, the Flex 6700 uses 16bit 250Msps ...
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 03:27:22 AM »

By the technical specs it should be better than what is out there at this moment, it is the first serious DDC/DUC ham radio transciever and the technology is superior. Even the US$1200 and a few years old Perseus reciever with it's 14bit 80Msps ADC is up there with the best of them, the Flex 6700 uses 16bit 250Msps ...

You need to look at the SFDR specs on the ADCs you are comparing.  If you look at the SFDR of the ADC that the Perseus uses and the SFDR of the ADC that Flex is using, you will see that the SFDR is about the same.  So, just because the Flex uses an ADC with a faster sampling clock does not translate into higher performance.  It only allows them to digitize a wider bandwidth.  Most Hams, unfortunately, are so ignorant of this new technology that they are not able to tell truth from the BS.  Flex knows this and slings a lot of BS.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: