Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP/QRO CW QSO WAS GREAT!  (Read 2093 times)
K7NSW

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »

I was recently on 80 meters CW early morning - that means between 2:30 and 6:00 A.M. my time.  Had a QSO with a guy in NY.  He was using MFJ Cub (2 watts) into an attic dipole.  I am in Idaho on an acre with no deed/CC&R restrictions and no landlord.  Had a nice QSO with few problems.  I was running 500 watts into big tall GAP Voyager vertical 45 feet tall.  I look for QSOs with QRP ops.  Many QRP ops need an Idaho QSO and QSL card.  My power keeps the freq open and the QSO gets done.  So far no complaints aimed at me.  Most of the QSOs I have had this way would not have happened if one of us did not have some power to let others know a QSO was in progress.  It is typical for me on my end of a QRP QSO to hear someone tuning up or calling CQ on the freq because the QRP op is not heard while he/she is transmitting.  A quick QRL from me usually solves the problem.  I like QSOing with QRP ops using QRO.  The QRPers are always glad to work Idaho.  Especially the folks on the East Coast on 80 meters.  You QRP folks have "grit".
WD8KNI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:19 AM »

While 10's of thousand QRP/QRP contacts happen every day worldwide  we appreciate any and all contacts no matter what power the other end is running.  Thanks for being there.. Fred
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 04:26:19 AM »

Qrp-dx is my niche,but my most thrilling contact to date has been CONUS (Maine to Pt.Reyes,Ca.)with K6KPH the Maritime Historical Radio Society Station,big ears and big watts for sure.A 20M 15 minute qso with my 3 watt MFJ Cub and homebrew hex beam,the bonus was receiving their unique combo Radiogram qsl card.Thanks to the BIG boys like K7NSW and other QRO ops it just makes for more contacts and fun for us Qrp types.K6KPH is of particular interest to me because as a ship's master during my career at sea my ship was frequently on the receiving end of their signals.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:41:22 AM by W1JKA » Logged
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »

AMEN!

When I got my Argonaut 509 back in '79 the first thing I learned was to hunt and pounce, and pouncing on weak signals seldom worked (okay maybe during QRP contests.....)
Yep, glad to have the guys with the big guns that I can work with my peanut whistle. I think many QRPers feel the same way.

72 de WB0FDJ Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: