Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW FAR???  (Read 14071 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »

Went to the gas station to get a gallon of regular for the snow blower.

$4.06 for one gallon out in the near west burbs.[/center]

At current prices, it equates to about $35 for gas to and from the fests in Peotone.  That's $35 less to spend at the fest.

QUESTION:
With the current price of gas in your area, how far would you travel to a fest this year?

N9LCD

K7PEH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:59:19 PM »

I have a Chevy HD2500 Silverado Crew Cab Pickup that gets exactly 14 mph no matter how I drive.  Actually, I don't care that much about the price of gas -- if I did, I would not have the pickup truck.

I typically go to the following Hamfests each year from my home QTH of Kirkland, WA:

1.  Salem Repeater Hamfest in Rickreall, Oregon in February (Total round trip milage: 476 miles).
2.  Puyallup Hamfest in Puyallup, Washington in March (Total round trip milage: 80 miles).
3.  Stanwood Hamfest in Stanwood, Washington in May (Total round trip milage: 100 miles).
4.  Seapac Hamfest in Seaside, Oregon first weekend of June (Total round trip milage: 412 miles).

So, not short at all in distances but these are my favorites.  I go to Salem the night before and stay in a hotel so that adds to the cost.  For Seapac on the Oregon Coast my wife goes along and we stay in Cannon Beach, Oregon for the weekend which is very nice in the summer.  Cannon Beach Oregon is about 7 miles south of Seaside, Oregon.  My wife's hobby is bird photography and that is one of her favorite spots for shore birds.  I make the long trip to Salem to hook up with my high-school ham radio buddies so that trip is sort of a mini-reunion and often the only time we meet.

But, I have never gone to Dayton -- that is too far.

73, phil, K7PEH
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »

QUESTION:
With the current price of gas in your area, how far would you travel to a fest this year?

Central MA to Philadelphia, PA to Dayton, OH and back is about 1600 miles.  That's how far I will travel to a hamfest this year..... but it's the Hamvention; world's largest hamfest in the world's crappiest location.  With three guys in the vehicle, gas, tolls, and lodging, etc. are down near the noise floor of the yearly "toy money" budget.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:19:20 AM by K3GM » Logged
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:18 PM »

If $35 makes or breaks your hamfest plans, then you need to seriously examine your priorities and finances.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 06:25:42 AM »

on 4/4  gas is   $2.59 here in Bruce and   tuesday was 2.55 in minnesota.
so its more  a question of  what is gas price  where you are going  or  going thru, than the price in Chicago.
Superior  hamfest  first week in  May.  about  100 miles from here. 
Several locals go  every year.
Also  Carlton  Mn.  same distance.
3m in St Paul.  90 miles.    Normal  distance for a number of  bigger  ham fests.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:29:19 AM by K9YLI » Logged
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »

blond senior citizen  moment..  above..   3.59  or  3.55 for gas...
i dont see a way to correct it..

don..

HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »

I think of it this way.

If I'm on my deathbed and have a few minutes to live with an extra $35 in my wallet, I should have spent the money when I was younger and healthier to go to that hamfest!

Smiley

Seriously though, if we always put a pricetag on everything we did, we wouldn't enjoy what we did and fret about the money we spent, or wouldn't do anything fun at all.

You work hard. Have a little fun and treat yourself once in awhile.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »

If you enjoy getting out and meeting other hams and seeing all kinds of
equipment, then the cost of gas should not be that much of a deterrent.
Unless of course, money is tight, then that is another thing all together.
I go to the Belton Texas Hamfest twice a year and HAMCOM in Plano, Tx.
(Dallas area for those that do not know where Plano is). From my qth
Belton is about 120 miles and Plano is 90 miles. I drive a 97 Dodge diesel
pickup that gets 23-25 mpg on the road and 20 in town. Diesel prices have
been staying around $3.80 here too. But, even though work this year has
slowed down for me quite a bit, I still plan to attend all three hamfests.
I may not buy anything, (I do have some toy money) but, the fun of seeing
people I know and all the goodies........including the new Flex 6000 Series
radios (that I cannot afford but, can drool over!!) is enough to make me want
to go anyway. And I also try to attend local hamfests as well. Some of our
local hamfests have all but dried up. Vendors don't show up and few sellers.
LOTS of buyers though! One I went to, I sold all but one radio that I had for sale.
The other three sold in a matter of minutes. People were just hungry for the chance
to buy some decent equipment at a fair price.  I don't do the "I can sell it on eBay
for more" thing.   I know what I paid for something and how much enjoyment I got
out of using it. And if that is covered, then all is good. I made a little profit, but, not
over priced eBay style.
Anyway, didn't mean to get off on that. But, do go if you can afford it. If one far away
is too expensive to attend, then, if there's a local hamfest that is fading away, attend
it and bring some of your unused goodies and sell them at a fair price so you can attend
the hamfests you want to go to!!
james
WD5GWY
WA8KIW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »

Over the years from the Cincinnati area I've traveled to hamfests in Butler, PA; Shelby, NC; Peoria, IL; Orlando, FL and Huntsville, AL to mention but a few and a minimum of a five hour drive time-one way.  And I'm not a vendor.  I enjoy the experience of hamfests outside of my home region and seeing equipment and junque that I don't see at the local fests.  Perhaps it's because Dayton is in my backyard that I don't mind traveling.  It's also a reason to see other parts of our nation that I might not have a reason to experience otherwise.  So there's expenses involved.  If you like doing it-do it.  You can't take it with you.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »

I refuse to let the *(*&^% people take going to Dayton away from me because of the gas price. Its not cheep but its my yearly fun trip. I have a few guys with me usually and they help pay some of the expenses except for first timers, they get to come with me for free their first time!

For me its 260 miles each way from Mt Morris Michigan to Dayton OH, I use my Wifes van (holds more people then my pickup and don't worry about rain for all our treasures we find) the van gets about 23 miles to the gallon so that's 22 gallons of liquid gold at 4$ a gallon is 88$ then there is the hotel that's 125$ a night for 3 nights 375$ so it looks like 500$ for me to walk in the place.

I know its a lot of money but it is the one thing I get to every year, my Wife told me I had to go ( I did not get to go last year, some kids burnt one of my stores to the ground just before Dayton last year) I am driving her nuts and she needs her weekend with the house to herself!

This year I have a new guy that has only had his ticket for a few years, he is almost 70 year old and he is like a kid all excited, I love that!

I have went along before and I will do it again but its such a waist I can carry 4 guys, the hotel I rent has a full kitchen and places for 4 to sleep so it really does not cost me anything more and I enjoy the conversation there and back in the van.

As long and I am blessed to be able to afford it I will continue to go.

Delbert McCord
KA8OCN
Mt Morris, Michigan
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 06:04:03 AM »

For me its 260 miles each way from Mt Morris Michigan to Dayton OH, I use my Wifes van (holds more people then my pickup and don't worry about rain for all our treasures we find) the van gets about 23 miles to the gallon so that's 22 gallons of liquid gold at 4$ a gallon is 88$ then there is the hotel that's 125$ a night for 3 nights 375$ so it looks like 500$ for me to walk in the place.

I know people who drop more than that at the tables in Las Vegas, and that's not including getting there! To me, $500 for a 3 day vacation is getting off cheap. Tailgating/flea market is another matter...

I do a fair bit of travel for work, and always try to stay at the same hotel/motel chain. That way I earn points that can be traded for free nights. Last year all my vacation motel nights were free, greatly reducing costs.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »

I guess this isn't the thread to see who might be going to Friedrichshafen this year?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: