Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BAD time to ask for QRS  (Read 1097 times)
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 03:58:16 AM »

>"legal and encouraged by the FCC"

Maybe so, but I wouldn't think disrupting a DX pileup is encouraged.

On the other hand, "disrupting a pileup" is like agitating a game of dodge ball.

I see both sides to this issue. IMO the way to treat this is to advise the QRS-man of good operating etiquette.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 06:08:31 AM »

"I see both sides to this issue. IMO the way to treat this is to advise the QRS-man of good operating etiquette."

There really aren't two sides in this case.  Here's an analogy that might show the stupidity of the behavior under discussion.  Suppose, after taking a one semester course in the French language, I travelled to Paris, walked into the Sorbonne University and interrupted a lecture in Philosophy, demanding that the lecture be slowed down to accomodate my weak language skills.  

Good operating etiquette, in this case, is just a matter of common sense.  

Chuck  NI0C
KI6PDQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »

I understand and agree with the importance of etiquette or protocol in the hobby however I also believe in tolerance and colective thiinking. The CW community is dominated by high clsss license holders please let that not interfere or discourage the growth of others.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 04:36:24 PM »

Guys,

I've noticed a new unfortunate thing in pileup QRM.

People pretending to be slow guys.

There was one pileup I was in where someone kept sending W4xxx (don't remember) at 8 or 9 WPM over and over again on the transmit frequency of the DX.

Lots of "QSY LID" aimed at him from stations I guarantee he could hear.  And hell, they even slowed down for him.

Don't forget this possibility... that this was deliberate QRM designed insidiously to seem like a new, slow op... designed to get people talking about the inconsiderate ways of the new guy...

It's a reasonable discussion to have.  I personally don't think you should ask a DX station to QRS.  I started working CW pileups long before I could copy plain text at the speeds they were sending.  What I learned was how "N3UMH 599" sounded vs. everything else, and I sat there, possibly for six or seven tries, while I copied the DX callsign, maybe a little at a time.

That's the sort of thing I think the slow guys should probably do.  Learn the "DX exchange" at 20WPM or 25WPM... . you don't need to know anything more to start DXing and you'll become quick at getting the calls.

But while we have this discussion, don't forget the sick stuff people do to jam pileups and make other hams or groups of them look bad.  I doubt a real new guy would persistently send QRS instead of his own call.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »

The best thing the DX could've done was work the QRS station to get him out of the way.

All that said, just sending QRS once at 5WPM takes up airtime equivalent to several confirmed QSO's at 25 or 30 or whatever the going WPM rate was. The QRS guy was probably using a robokeyer that could've keyed at 25 WPM and never would have to send QRS if he could recognize his own call.
W9OY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 05:06:51 AM »

this guy was in a pile up.  That means the qso amounted to at most "5nn TU"  There is NO reason to QRS for "5nn TU".  A pileup is not a friendly chat  If you can't copy you don't deserve the "contact"

73  W9OY
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 05:07:18 AM »

KE3WD wisely said:  "Part of the pride in snagging DX is the testimony to skillful operating practices such provides.

Earned, not given."

AMEN to that! 73 es gud DX, Gene
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: