Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating Yaesu Ft2800 on 250 cc motorcycle battery  (Read 17262 times)
VE7CGD

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »

The 2002 Kawasaki 250 Sherpa battery is a 12 volt 6aH 85 CCA type. My FT2800 can operate at 5, 15, 25 and 65 watts. I plan on going out on trails that will take me 100 km from town so likely I will need 25 watts of transmission power. Will the motorcycle battery take it? What modifications can be done so that I can use the battery?
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »

Starting batteries will fail quickly in cyclical use.  So if it's not being frequently refreshed before being too deeply discharged you can plan on buying a new battery pretty soon.

If it will be used to briefly supply power (<10% discharge) before the vehicle is run or returned to a charger then it could work acceptably well for that.  Even at 5W TX power you don't have a lot of capacity to work with here, so extended operating without the engine running/frequent charging probably isn't possible anyway. 

I've done a few cross country trips on my scooter and quite successfully operated a radio, lights and other accessories during the course of the trip.  Mine is 3X the capacity of yours however, so you have to control your use accordingly (or test your kickstart with a dead battery before you go...).

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: