Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newby questions  (Read 4861 times)
KB1ZDE

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »

I recently bought a Yaesu VX-8GR, and I have some questions about APRS.

I managed to set up my radio just fine, and when I hook the HT up to my magmount, I get on a digipeter quite easily. I can see myself on aprs.fi, I see other stations on my radio, etc. That leads me to my first question. There is a wx station that shows on aprs.fi that is very close to my house, but I can only see the data from it when I connect to the digipeter. Why can't I get their packets directly to my HT?

Second, I went to my parents house in rural VT. They are up quite high, so I decided to see what I could pick up on the APRS. I never got on a digipeter (that I know of) but I was getting packets from people very far away (for example, Boston). How was I getting a packet from someone that is well beyond VHF radio range, but I wasn't connecting to a digipeter?

Thanks, I'm sure I am not understanding how APRS works, so go easy on me Smiley
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »

Most of the WX stations are getting gated onto the intarwebs directly through the computer collecting the instrument data.. the majority of them don't have a radio connected.

Dave

There is a wx station that shows on aprs.fi that is very close to my house, but I can only see the data from it when I connect to the digipeter. Why can't I get their packets directly to my HT?

KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »

Just as mentioned above. I'm not an APRS fan or user but my WX data shows up on there.  It all goes in via the internet. No RF link at all so one would never be able to copy the data directly over the air.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:05:02 AM »

Second, I went to my parents house in rural VT. They are up quite high, so I decided to see what I could pick up on the APRS. I never got on a digipeter (that I know of) but I was getting packets from people very far away (for example, Boston). How was I getting a packet from someone that is well beyond VHF radio range, but I wasn't connecting to a digipeter?

An HT is not a good radio to use for APRS. They are very short range, APRS is a "one shot" transmission. The least little bit of interference and your signal will not make it.

Also, even though the defacto standard for APRS paths is the the WIDEn-N, there is still a lot of stuff on the air that uses the old RELAY,WIDE,WIDE system. Could be the digi you were trying to hit didn't accept your settings.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: