Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: El Cheapo Digipeater and APRS tracker? yes please. aprsdroid  (Read 9429 times)
KD5YQV

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:59 AM »

I've been a licensed ham for 10 years, but in that time I was not active until recently.  I was licensed while in college and money and time were both things of which I didn't have much.  Recently I've had a renewed interest in Amateur Radio and specifically APRS.  I like the idea of being able to track an asset (golf cart, car, balloon, etc.) with a system that can stand alone or be linked in to the magic of the interwebs.

In my search for APRS toys I came across the APRSdroid app that will allow my phone to beacon over the internet, to feed a radio and beacon via RF, to digipeat and to be an Igate.  What a handy bit of software.

I have acquired a Baofeng radio (what a deal - if I screw it up I'm out 30 dollars!) and I am going to link it to an android phone that is connected to my home wifi.  The phone, as long as it is on wifi, does not need a sim card or service, it is simply a handy and cheap platform for running the APRSdroid software.

I've got a Kenwood cloning cable coming to me so I'll have two ends that will plug into the Baofeng, as they share the plug specs, and I purchased a double ended TRRS extension cable that will interface with the phone's speaker and mic.  I'm still in the process of ironing out which pins are which - but some time with the internet followed by confirming it with a tester should be easy enough; there are only 4 wires, right.

Have any of you done this before? It seems pretty simple so I can only imagine I am reinventing the wheel, it's just that I didn't spot any writeups on the web.

What do you think, will it work as an igate and digipeater like I am thinking, or have I overlooked something major?
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »

Please, El Cheapo,  AT LEAST narrow your radio's deviation for packet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: