Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emergency Generator Noise comparisons  (Read 6134 times)
VE3FAL

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »

This fall a local ham and I were doing some field ops and was testing some gear outside. I have a Robin/Subaru 1700i gas powered inverter, and a Kawasaki 3500 gas generator. I use the 3500 with the trailer for the A/C in the summer and usually the 1700i just for running the small stuff and charging the battery system. My original purchase of the 1700i was for radio gear and electronics. Well when we tested the 1700i I found it to be very noisy with the rigs, in fact with the FT857 I could not hear any of the stations, went to battery and all was good. Used the 3500 and it was much quieter. I grounded the 1700i with no change, even put a steel cage over it to see if that would change the noise, but no change.
I am wondering if anyone has compared the Robin 1700i with the Honda 2000i and noticed any differences or changes, or is the Honda noisy as well on radio gear?

Thanks

Fred
VE3FAL
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 03:47:24 PM by VE3FAL » Logged
KF7GFL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »

I've used the Honda 2000i with VHF/UHF without any noise. I have not tried with with HF yet but will in the near future. Other hams indicate that there is no noise either, which is one of the reasons I have it.

I hope that helps.

Matt - KF7GFL
VE3FAL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »

Thanks Matt, I would like to try a Honda and compare it as well, the Robin is a nice unit for other electronics but never expected the noise I did on HF, now have to remember the Yaesu rigs are noisy already on HF before they leave the shop.

Fred
VE3FAL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

Thanks Matt, I would like to try a Honda and compare it as well, the Robin is a nice unit for other electronics but never expected the noise I did on HF, now have to remember the Yaesu rigs are noisy already on HF before they leave the shop.

I used a cheap Chinese Honda clone 3k generator for field day last year. I have had it for 5 years now. It is not super quiet muffler wise but not too hateful. It generates no RFI that I could detect.  The generator was about 40ft from rig and about 150 feet from antenna.

You did not state the nature of your RFI from your unit as it could be ignition or from power. If it is a inverter unit and may have a noisy inverter in it. If it is coming out power leg you should be able to filter it out. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »

We used on of the early inverter generators for a QRP weekend once, and had awful
inverter noise from it.  A combination of grounding the frame to a ground rod, plus 100'
of extension cord coiled up on a reel acting as an RF choke, solved the problem.

The first step is to determine how the signal is being radiated:  there are three main
methods.  Typically the RF noise is on the power cord as a common mode signal, and
is either radiated from there to the antenna, or coupled to the rig through the AC
wiring.  RF choke filters of various types right at the generator should reduce this.
Inverter noise can also be propagated down the power cord as a transmission line,
affecting the receiver directly but not radiating as much.

An isolation transformer might help all three.  RF chokes may help the first two.
Ground might or might not help in any case.
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

My club uses Honda 2000's for Field Day.  No noticeable RFI on HF or VHF and very quiet soundwise as well.  They are also extremely reliable.  My own ran continuously (except for refills and an oil change) for seven days during Hurricane Sandy.  All in, it probably has nearly 300 hours on it and nary a hiccup.

73 de Tony
K1OC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

Myself I like a unit to make enough exhaust sound in distance that while not annoying I can still tell how it is loaded and running. The 3k chinese honda clone does this and is easy on fuel too. In 5 years it has never failed to start by second pull and usually first pull. The only thing bad about it is its weight (abt 100lbs plus fuel) as a wish it was a about 20lbs or so lighter.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:17:05 PM by W8JX » Logged

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »

I cant seem to find the pull start cord on my solar panels. They don't make a sound either for that matter.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 06:48:23 AM »

I cant seem to find the pull start cord on my solar panels. They don't make a sound either for that matter.

Especially at night...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »

Especially at night...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Or on dark or stormy days too.....

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:37 PM »

Hmmm, so they provide no power after 6PM either?
K1KOY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »

Anybody used a GoalZero Yeti 1250 on field days? I have one but haven't used it yet. Has a pure sine-wave inverter and power pole, ac, dc, & USB outlets, so it should be a beauty. Attach the solar panels to keep it topped up, and it should run all night!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: