Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX cop good behavior  (Read 1240 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »

At some point I think somebody has to simply say, "X1XX he is working split."
This really should go into the DX Code of Conduct. I am forced to admit that I've gotten myself into trouble more than once by hitting a callsign in SpotCollector which didn't include the split, then failing to check whether the little SPLIT icon is on in the transceiver. Embarrassed

I will try my best not to let that happen again. If it does, I would appreciate a gentle reminder, like "UP WX2S UP." Slightly off the DX frequency if possible to avoid QRMing the DX for others.

Anyone else have some good examples of DX cop behavior?

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »

In my brief experience with low-band DX'ing I've had others help me find the DX's listening frequency (DX was announcing DOWN but actually listening UP or not split at all) several times.

I don't think was a "DX cop" in the usual sense. The usual sense is along the lines of "keystone cop".
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »

I am saddened to say I can't readily think of any good cop stories.  As I often write, I spend a lot of time on 10 meters and I often help overseas stations work West Coast stations. One day I'd love to see a European station help me work something in their neck of the woods. 

DXing is for the most part a lone wolf endeavor.

Chris/NU1O
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »

I am saddened to say I can't readily think of any good cop stories.  As I often write, I spend a lot of time on 10 meters and I often help overseas stations work West Coast stations. One day I'd love to see a European station help me work something in their neck of the woods.  

DXing is for the most part a lone wolf endeavor.

Chris/NU1O

That's odd!  I hear good cops all the time.  Hams who just say "Split" and don't add insults or talk too much are always good.
I hear Hams say "NU1 go he's calling you".  I find that to be very helpful, a Ham did that for me when I got Vietnam as an ATNO and I was very gratefull because the QSB was kicking the Dx in and out so I never heard when he came back to me.   The only Cops I hate are the ones that feel a need to be insulting or talk too much or get themselves into a cussing match with QRMers.  
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »

That's odd!  I hear good cops all the time.  Hams who just say "Split" and don't add insults or talk too much are always good.
I hear Hams say "NU1 go he's calling you".  I find that to be very helpful, a Ham did that for me when I got Vietnam as an ATNO and I was very gratefull because the QSB was kicking the Dx in and out so I never heard when he came back to me.   The only Cops I hate are the ones that feel a need to be insulting or talk too much or get themselves into a cussing match with QRMers.  

Not more than a half hour ago I was trying to work H44KW on CW.  I hit split and I thought I was up 2 but I was on his frequency and somebody immediately sent me "Up LID"  It's almost to the point where nobody transmits "Up" anymore, it's "Up LID."  I haven't made that mistake in months so I was overdue.

Somebody asked for stories and I gave an honest answer. I can't help it if my experiences are not the same as yours.

Chris/NU1O

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 03:24:18 PM »

I don't like the insulting type of DX cops either but there seems to be more of them than the "UP" or "SPLIT" only type. Remember according to the DX Cops handbook, you are only allowed one mistake a month or you will be chastized on top of the DX frequency Smiley Really! ... it's in the rule book and has to be done or else the cop might lose his badge!!!

I hear Hams say "NU1 go he's calling you". 

I always figured if someone had to tell me the DX is calling me, I must not be able to hear them myself. If that is the case, how can you log an incomplete QSO for DX credit??? Kind of like those DX nets where someone is always 'hinting' at what your report is so someone can send "twenty two twenty two rifle shot rifle shot" (one of the stupidest thing I ever heard on the radio) and then the net control can exclaim "GOOD CONTACT" and make it all legal and fulfilling for others???

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »

I always figured if someone had to tell me the DX is calling me, I must not be able to hear them myself. If that is the case, how can you log an incomplete QSO for DX credit??? Kind of like those DX nets where someone is always 'hinting' at what your report is so someone can send "twenty two twenty two rifle shot rifle shot" (one of the stupidest thing I ever heard on the radio) and then the net control can exclaim "GOOD CONTACT" and make it all legal and fulfilling for others???
Gene W5DQ

Gene, you are correct. That is NOT a good contact.  And it really should not be logged as a complete QSO. How can someone claim a complete QSO, if someone has to tell you what your supposed contact is saying?HuhHuh I cannot believe anyone would do such...........  Poor operating.......... Sad Sad
73, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 03:42:33 PM by AF3Y » Logged
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:48 PM »

I hear Hams say "NU1 go he's calling you".  I find that to be very helpful, a Ham did that for me when I got Vietnam as an ATNO and I was very gratefull because the QSB was kicking the Dx in and out so I never heard when he came back to me.  

If that is still your only QSO with Vietnam, then you still dont have a complete QSO with Vietnam. Pretty simple logic.
73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »

I have never had anybody help me with a DX contact like that and as Gene, W5DQ, states I don't want, nor do I need, that kind of help.

Where I would appreciate some help is when I'm trying to break a European wall to work a station in Asia. It would be nice if a European station would say to the Asian, "You have a US station in area #1 trying to work you." But, it has never happened.

This morning I was working PJ2/K8LEE on 10 meters and he had a South African station jumping out out of his chair trying to work him. After I worked PJ2/K8LEE I told him he had a South African station who had been trying to work him for quite a long time and he was very eager. K8LEE called for South Africa and he worked the guy. K8LEE told the South African station I had helped him make the contact. PJ2/K8LEE had his beam to the US and was warming up for this week's contest.  Without help he wasn't going to hear the weak station in South Africa off the back of his beam.

Chris/NU1O

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »

Gene W5DQ

I had no problems hearing him after that, I repeated my whole call and he repeated it back to me, we exchanged reports and that was that.  If it was not for the helping hand I would have sat there in limbo and the DX would have moved onto the next person.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »

Gene W5DQ

I had no problems hearing him after that, I repeated my whole call and he repeated it back to me, we exchanged reports and that was that.  If it was not for the helping hand I would have sat there in limbo and the DX would have moved onto the next person.

That a good deal if it happened like that. I guess I read it a bit different that someone had given someone else 'a helping hand' to complete the exchange. Glad you bagged a new one!

Occasionally if I am bored and hear nothing exciting to fight for, I'll drop in on a DX list net and listen for the entertainment value. Once I actually heard other net stations telling the station attempting to work the DX what the DX had reported to him and then after all the verbal 'hi-fives', the net control boldly exclaimed to the net "GOOD CONTACT GOOD CONTACT" which I guess gave it that seal of approval for DX count Huh Guess those types do their fishing in a barrel with a high powered rifle.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »

Since DX "cop" behavior is by definition is illegal - there is no DX cop good behavior, other than shut up and quit causing QRM. Unidentified transmissions causing intentional interference is not legal.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »

Gene W5DQ

That a good deal if it happened like that. I guess I read it a bit different that someone had given someone else 'a helping hand' to complete the exchange. Glad you bagged a new one!

Occasionally if I am bored and hear nothing exciting to fight for, I'll drop in on a DX list net and listen for the entertainment value. Once I actually heard other net stations telling the station attempting to work the DX what the DX had reported to him and then after all the verbal 'hi-fives', the net control boldly exclaimed to the net "GOOD CONTACT GOOD CONTACT" which I guess gave it that seal of approval for DX count Huh Guess those types do their fishing in a barrel with a high powered rifle.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: