Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hy-Gain TH5-MK2 Conversion to 12 & 17 Meters  (Read 1083 times)
WA0TT

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2007, 06:12:50 PM »

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a Hy-Gain TH5-MK2 Yagi to cover 12 and 17 meters?  I have one that is in great shape, I won't get much selling it and converting it to cover the WARCs would be an excellent addition to my antennas collection.  Thanks for reading (and hopefully replying).  73s Russ WA0TT
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 04:56:38 AM »

You can convert just about anything to anything! Now, is it practical? Probably!
You have a 10-15-20 meter yagi with aluminum parts.  All you need to do is adjust everything to the frequencies you wish to cover.  Are you trying to change the antenna to those frequencies, or are you trying to ADD those two bands?

-Mike.

WA0TT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »

Thanks for the post.  I would like to convert as I all ready have a triband yagi (KT34A).  Would like to convert so I could stack them.  What do you think about that plan?
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »

Why not just add a few elements to your present boom?
If your boom is strong enough, that is!

-Mike.
W6LE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »

I'm W6LE and I'd like to know how to add 12 & 17 to my TH5 as long as I can maintain the avg gain.
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 03:46:16 AM »

You can convert just about anything to anything! Now, is it practical? Probably!
You have a 10-15-20 meter yagi with aluminum parts.  All you need to do is adjust everything to the frequencies you wish to cover.  

True, you can convert just about anything to anything.  But I'm not so sure it's as simple as just adjusting things.  The TH-5 is a trapped tribander, and the traps will be of little or no use for 12M & 17M.  So the 10M and 15M traps would have to be replaced and then all of the dimensions scaled for the two new bands.  To use the 10M element you'd have to lengthen it for 12M, which may or may not be easy.  If you're up for all that, then go for it.

Don, K2DC

W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »

I disagree that you won't get much for selling it. A search of the ads here on eHam shows one that sold in mid 2011 with an asking price of  $450.  And you can get a Hy-Gain DB-1217 from R&L for $399.  While I love building and modifying my own antennas (and I have a pile of aluminum to prove it) if I can buy a commercial antenna for what it is going to cost me in time and materials (and aggravation) I'll do that instead.

Clint - W5CPT -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: