Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM Italy BLA 350 -- Overpriced????  (Read 39509 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »

No FCC type acceptance. The market is too small for them to care.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 02:59:15 AM »

Do the  FCC care, either? Or haven't they got around to jumping on the dealers?

Does anybody know if there is a CE mark?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:12 AM »

Do you really think that checking out RM Italy products are on top of the FCC to do list during the current sequester?? Probably about the same priority level as enforcing infractions on the amateur radio bands.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 07:24:22 AM »

Never seen a topic get more off topic in my life!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 03:52:49 AM »

Re: VE3TMT

Stay tuned,it only gets worse.Most topics are just like kids on Xmas morning,the initial excitement only last so long.
KB3RPM

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »

I was looking at the RM Italy HLA-150, but it requires a 50amp power supply. By the time I bought the amplifier AND a power supply delivering 50+amps @ 13.8v of DC, I could've bought the BLA-350. I'm going to be pulling the trigger on one soon!

My current rig, is an ICOM IC-718, Ten Tec Regal 707 mic and an MFJ-969 tuner. The tuner's only rated at 300watts, so I don't want to blow it out and have to replace it. 300watts should get me over the hump as they say. I had an Ameritron AL-811, but never used it. Sold it and bought a tablet PC with the $$. Then had to move, as the previous landlord wanted to convert my unit to condos. Currently in a rancher and the antenna (end fed Ultimax-100) is only 26-28' in the air. I'm running it as a sloper now and the fed end is only about 7' off the ground. I can hear like nobody's bidness, but nobody can hear me. So I figure I need a little wattage to help get me over the enforced limitations on my antenna. 100watts was just dandy when my antenna was completely horizontal and about 29-32' in the clear!

Anyway, I should be able to give user reports to you fellers soon enough. . .
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Do the  FCC care, either?

Not really. You can buy an illegal CB amp at almost any truck stop in America. CB amplifier companies advertise openly on the web and the FCC seems to ignore them.

There are CB competitions in this country called "key downs" where competitors vie to see who can put out the strongest signal. Typical power levels are >10KW. These competitions are advertised well in advance, and often held in public parks, but I've never heard of the FCC busting one.
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »

I was looking at the RM Italy HLA-150, but it requires a 50amp power supply. By the time I bought the amplifier AND a power supply delivering 50+amps @ 13.8v of DC, I could've bought the BLA-350. I'm going to be pulling the trigger on one soon!

My current rig, is an ICOM IC-718, Ten Tec Regal 707 mic and an MFJ-969 tuner. The tuner's only rated at 300watts, so I don't want to blow it out and have to replace it. 300watts should get me over the hump as they say. I had an Ameritron AL-811, but never used it. Sold it and bought a tablet PC with the $$. Then had to move, as the previous landlord wanted to convert my unit to condos. Currently in a rancher and the antenna (end fed Ultimax-100) is only 26-28' in the air. I'm running it as a sloper now and the fed end is only about 7' off the ground. I can hear like nobody's bidness, but nobody can hear me. So I figure I need a little wattage to help get me over the enforced limitations on my antenna. 100watts was just dandy when my antenna was completely horizontal and about 29-32' in the clear!

Anyway, I should be able to give user reports to you fellers soon enough. . .

You don't need a 50 amp power supply, 20 amps would certainly do it if you run the amp at 100 watts output, which is all it's good for.  See

http://www.w8ji.com/rm_hla-150_test.htm
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »

You don't need a 50 amp power supply, 20 amps would certainly do it if you run the amp at 100 watts output, which is all it's good for.  See

Reread W8JI's article, it is the HLA-150 he is reviewing, not the BLA-350. One is a mobile
amp and the other is for base use.
james
WD5GWY
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »

Reread W8JI's article, it is the HLA-150 he is reviewing, not the BLA-350. One is a mobile
amp and the other is for base use.

james
WD5GWY

KB3RPM is talking about needing a 50 amp supply for an HLA-150, which he doesn't ...,
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 02:41:30 AM »

If there's no CE mark, sale in the EU is illegal. Trouble is, enforcement in the EU is about at the same level as in the US - except in Germany.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

And as a result innocent hams have to put up with the IMD and trash from this CB junk.  It also seems that seeming intelligent hams have started the promotion of CB brand amps for use on the ham bands.

We need mandated IMD standards for all ham HF amps and transceivers. Just as their are standards for harmonic levels we need standards for IMD.

The ham bands are awash with idiots using these  CB amps  using industrial FETS not meant for  linear SSB use. Just because this amp uses 50 volt devices and has low pass filters still does not make
using it acceptable. The IMD performance stinks because they using industrial ISM fets not linear amplifier FETS. I wonder when all these genius hams are going  to start promoting using class C bias amps on the ham bands for better efficiency and dollar per watt ratio on SSB. I see the argument heading in this direction. Not one poster has even mentioned the subject of IMD, and this is from supposedly smart hams.

Now we have to tolerate hams splattering because they have no skills to build a decent amplifier now we have to condone their idiotic use of CB amplifiers because they cant afford to buy a decent ham amplifier.
Another win  for low technical standards accommodating non technical people in a technical hobby. Hams defending and promoting CB garbage WOW.

Eham should really ban any discussion or promotion  on  any amplifier thats  not  FCC type accepted, that would be an acceptable standard. Since this is a education forum condoning  commercial products that are illegal
is not really ethical especially when promoting these devices will do more harm than good to the ham service. RM Italy and its friends seem to be very active lately promoting their products on discussion forums, is this their
back door brain washing and marketing program to capture the  CB'er in new hams before its lost?

If there's no CE mark, sale in the EU is illegal. Trouble is, enforcement in the EU is about at the same level as in the US - except in Germany.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »

If you go to

http://g4ujs.shacknet.nu/spe_2k-fa.pdf

there's data suggesting that at least one of the amps meets FCC, and by implications and the fact that the company claims ISO 9000 certification, meets EU requirements

Peter G3RZP
N0ZNA

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

Glorified Cb amp,like the rest of there stuff...
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

The one greatest assets the US has is its natural resources. Obama and company won’t touch them and has done everything possible to drive up the price of oil and gas. Everything we make and transport is affected by oil and gas pricing. All of our consumables are either grown or mined.

Obama has done everything possible to drive up Gas Huh Huh  I am no fan of Obama but I won't get my history mixed up to support an argument.  Its interesting what happened to gas prices between 2000 and 2008 when an oil company ran the country  Tongue

Blame him for what you want but don't tell me that he drove up the Gas prices.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:40:16 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: