Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BURO vs DIRECT or "1/2 & 1/2"  (Read 946 times)
AF3Y

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

I am sure this is nothing new, but while trying to gather up the rest of my 80 meter QSLs toward 8BDXCC, I use a slightly different method than the buro OR direct.

Send YOUR card direct, put a postit or note inside and ask for buro return. Hypothetically, this should beat "buro out and buro back" by 1/2 the time, and the only cost (besides your card, envelope, etc.) is your postage out.

I got a package from the buro today...... some of the cards were this type,  mailed less than a year ago from here, direct, and returned via buro Cheesy.

Will it always work?  I doubt it....... nothing does. Roll Eyes AND........ some dont use the buro, so ..............

73, Gene AF3Y
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »

I am sure this is nothing new, but while trying to gather up the rest of my 80 meter QSLs toward 8BDXCC, I use a slightly different method than the buro OR direct.

Send YOUR card direct, put a postit or note inside and ask for buro return. Hypothetically, this should beat "buro out and buro back" by 1/2 the time, and the only cost (besides your card, envelope, etc.) is your postage out.

I got a package from the buro today...... some of the cards were this type,  mailed less than a year ago from here, direct, and returned via buro Cheesy.

Will it always work?  I doubt it....... nothing does. Roll Eyes AND........ some dont use the buro, so ..............

73, Gene AF3Y

Not a bad idea Gene.  Btw, the US postage rate is by far the lowest compared to the rest of the world.  So the time is shaved by half and also postage cost is shaved by 70% or more.

Jonathan W6GX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »

It's not for me.

You do cut your postage bill in half but you have to use the effing Buro and you may not get many of the QSLs you need.

We have people willing to pay $13 for QSL. I don't think many will use your system, Gene.

Chris/NU1O

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

Perhaps someone could use this for bandfills QSLs but not ATNOs.  I wouldn't pay $13 for a bandfill QSL Cheesy

Now here's the best part- I have sent countless QSLs with green stamps and all I got is either LoTW or a card via the bureau Cheesy  So perhaps Gene is correct in his thinking.

I just spent 2 hours doing QSLs for ATNO and also bandfills.  Bandfill QSLs are a pain since I look through each contact to find the cheapest QSL route.  I rarely QSL via the bureau.  I did find a lot of bandfill goodies that only require US postage.

Jonathan W6GX
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 01:39:29 PM »

One even cheaper way is to email the station you worked (if you can get their address) and ask for a bureau QSL.  Many times they might no really need your card, but will be happy to drop one in the bureau for you.

John AF5CC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

One even cheaper way is to email the station you worked (if you can get their address) and ask for a bureau QSL.  Many times they might no really need your card, but will be happy to drop one in the bureau for you.

John AF5CC

You are brilliant.  Now if I could just find a way to have a spam bot send an e-mail to every DX station I've worked...

Jonathan W6GX
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »

John AF5CC

Great idea John...... I think my physical card laying there in front of them "might" help a little.  BTW, as I noted above, this is for BANDFILLS, not ATNOs. Wink

73, Gene AF3Y
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 12:09:40 AM »

Great idea John...... I think my physical card laying there in front of them "might" help a little.  BTW, as I noted above, this is for BANDFILLS, not ATNOs. Wink

73, Gene AF3Y

I don't think you previously stated it was for bandfills, Gene.  I still don't like the idea of sending direct and relying on the buro. Your savings is entirely dependent upon your response rate via the buro and I have no idea what that is. Maybe somebody who uses the buro a lot has an idea what the response rate is. There is also the problem of the countries and stations which do not have or use a buro which needs to be considered.

If you do it for 100 bandfills to 100 separate stations and your normal cost is $1.10 in US postage plus $2 of return posatge per card your savings is $200 (not counting costs to the incoming buro) assuming you get a 100% return rate which will not happen.

What happens if your response rate is only 50%? If you then send out 50 separate cards with $2 in return postage for each card you will be spending an extra $155 so your savings is slashed to $45 (not counting the incoming buro costs.)  A lot depends of whether you are looking to QSL every bandfill or if you are content to have some go unconfirmed.

Obviously, you are going to want to include as many QSOs as possible with any one station to keep costs to a minimum. With a computer logging program it's simple to see which, if any, station you have worked on multiple bands.

I like the idea of saving money on QSLs but I'd like to see some hard numbers and it may take a few years before you can calculate things provided you have kept detailed records.

I hope you keep us informed as to how your experiment is going.

Somebody may want to check my math. It is late here.

Chris/NU1O
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »

I don't think you previously stated it was for bandfills, Gene.

There is also the problem of the countries and stations which do not have or use a buro which needs to be considered.
Chris/NU1O

Well, I thought I made it clear that I was using it for bandfills, not ATNOs. ("I am sure this is nothing new, but while trying to gather up the rest of my 80 meter QSLs toward 8BDXCC, I use a slightly different method than the buro OR direct."

Chris, I dont send buro card requests to stations/countries which dont use/dont have a buro.

I will try to advise how it seems to work out.

73, Gene AF3Y
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »

More stations are now taking paypal also for direct QSLs.  Most of them seem to want either $2 or $3 for a return QSL, which is a little cheaper than a direct QSL with 2 green stamps.  It also eliminates mail theft, and cuts the return time in half since they immediately have the payment and can drop the card in the mail that day. 

Got a couple of nice bureau shipments in during the past couple of weeks.  Got 9M6 confirmed on 30 and 12, ZD7 on 10, OY on 15, and OJ0 on 12 for bandfills!

John AF5CC
WB3BEL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:27 AM »

LoTW is by far the cheapest method to get bandfill confirmations.

If you want paper cards, I think that using GlobalQSL would be lower cost than direct mail one way bureau return...

100 cards printed and delivered with QSO info filled out for $13.5.

I think that emailing stations and asking them to send bureau cards where you don't send them one first is not such a great idea...   Asking them if they accept bureau cards if not clearly stated on QRZ.com might be reasonable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: