Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amateur transmit audio equalizer software  (Read 7116 times)
AE1PT

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:03:52 PM »

As part of my reconfiguration of the shack, I am looking at several things. I want to be able to get audio input from 2-3 different microphones to 3 wildly different rigs. That portion will be accomplished by a custom built patch panel and cabling.

The microphones will be used for SSB, AM, and FM. So I have a number of bandwidths to consider. Hardware parametric equalizers are concerned with a much wider bandwidth and as such are a waste of knobs--and what amateur solutions exist are very pricy for what you get (such as W2IHY 8 Band which does not go wide enough for AM).

So my thinking runs to using a computer sound card after the input patch and a hamcentric equalizer software package. I have run across the RoMac 10 Band 2012 software application. At first blush this would enable me to tailor mic behavior to a specific rig or communication application through the use of presets instead of hardware channels and patch switching.

Has anyone used this software--and in the alternate, found another software equalizer package that is specifically for amateur use?

73 de Papa Tango
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want..."
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »

Have you checked over in the reviews section? http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4860

It looks good, one thing to caution you on with most DSP systems is delay and other problems, especially when processors are bogged down with a lot of tasks.

If you're watching price, a good place to look for audio equipment is the local pawnshops. Bands are always forming and breaking up, and some fairly decent (better than you'll ever need for ham radio) gear can be had for little money. I recently picked up a used 2 channel compressor/limiter for $50, and it works just great. Another recent find is a very clean Chinese large-diaphragm mic for $100.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »

And software is no replacement for a proper mike.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AE1PT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »

I downloaded the software, plus the Virtual Connector package.  As described, there was an unwanted delay--however the task was done nicely.  But taking a hard look at eliminating computer hash, and the fact that I am already running the hardware sound card dedicated to HRD and digital modes--plus a wireless USB microphone driving Dragon Naturally Speaking for voice to text input on digital modes (PSK and RTTY without a keyboard!), it was just too many issues.

As to a "good mic" the one being tasked here is a Shure Beta 58 capsule mounted on a conversion kit inside of an old Shure Unidyne 55SW housing.  Great audio--great reports with the Icom 751A.  It could be better though.  Although not a fan of eSSB, Collins antiquated idea of 2.1Khz for ragchew sucks...   Cheesy

A bit later it will be used to feed my Valiant Hi-Z input through a W2IQY iBox.

73 de Papa Tango
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: