Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filter Capacitor for Swam Mark 1  (Read 5862 times)
XF3PAS

Ignore
« on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »

Hello you all  ,   I had Receive an old Swam Mark 1 amplifier,who need to have the Filter Capacitor
to be replace , after search in the web I found in Harbach Electronics  some filter  Blocks
I bougth the  FB-922  Filter Capacitor Block ( the replace for the Kenwood TL 922)
8  Electrolic Capacitors  210 mf at 450 volts it come along with  8 -100 k hom 3 watt resistor  and
8  1N4005 Diodes  along with the  PC Board  my question is
can I use the full  FB-922 PC Board  , Removing the Original  Diode Board  from the Swam Mark 1
or use only the Capacitors and Re use the diode Board
Thanks
Albert  XF3PAS 
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »

Done properly there is no reason why can can't use that.  There is plenty of room in that amp to do it.
XF3PAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »

Thanks   I will work on it and post later
Albert XF3PAS
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »

Swan Mark I Ampliier (circa 1965)
http://www.k7jrl.com/pub/manuals/swan/mk1/swan_mk1.pdf

W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:41:45 PM »

Greg, Just so you know, I think you are amazing with the leg work you do to get the information people are looking for.  I can always rely on you for a link.  Just want to say thanks on behalf of ham radio for your willingness to search out all these links.  Google sure is your friend.  Calpping hands Wink
QRP4U2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »

According to the schematic, the original design used a total of 40.6 ufd of capacitance.

If you can find 330 or better yet, 470 uF@450 electrolytics you would have better filtering and less sag on transmit.  

8  Electrolic Capacitors  210 mf

This kit from Harbach would give you only 25.65 uFd of capacitance which is only about 64% of original design capacitance. Make sure the kit is for a voltage doubler circuit and not a Full Wave Bridge.

Phil - AC0OB
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:59:54 PM by QRP4U2 » Logged

AC0OB - A Place Where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

Quote from: W1QJ
Greg, Just so you know, I think you are amazing with the leg work you do to get the information people are looking for.  I can always rely on you for a link. 
Just want to say thanks on behalf of ham radio for your willingness to search out all these links.  Google sure is your friend.  Clapping hands
Lou -

Thank you for the comment.  Yes, Google has made the old "library card search" much easier.
It still requires some ability to separate wheat from chaff (good vs bad web pages, references).
It is fortunate that you are available (and have time) to help many of the new amateurs with their amplifier repairs/conversions.  Clapping.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

Greg, Just so you know, I think you are amazing with the leg work you do to get the information people are looking for.  I can always rely on you for a link. 
Just want to say thanks on behalf of ham radio for your willingness to search out all these links.  Google sure is your friend.  Clapping hands
Lou -

Thank you for the comment.  Yes, Google has made the old "library card search" much easier.
It still requires some ability to separate wheat from chaff (good vs bad web pages, references).
It is fortunate that you are available (and have time) to help many of the new amateurs with their amplifier repairs/conversions.  Clapping.

Don, as they say Google is your friend.  You can find out just about anything.  It is amazing the stuff I have found out on Google.  It takes time to sift through all the pages of offerings, but if you are persistant you will prevail.  I guess you followed the thread about Rocco's Ten Tec 425?   Over on QRZ amplfiers a fellow had a problem with a Kenwood TL-922. he messed with it and we tried to help him solve the problem but he was not trechnical enough.  He sent me the amp.  I have it here now.  Turns out, he sent the amp to the RF SHOP in Ohio about 8 years ago to have the AG6K QSK mod done to it.  The guy did the mod and sent the amp back to him.  He used it for 7 years then he got off the air for a year.  When he went back and turned amp on a year later it went snap crackle pop.  Anyhow it is here now for repairs.  I found a shorted switching transistor and a shorted optoisolator on the QSK board (homebrewed by RF SHOP) I found an open grid grounding cap and an open grid choke.  I replaced all these burned out parts and when I got it back up to test I found that the tubes were not being cut off completely. There was about 40ma of current being drawn in stand by.  Could not figure out what was wrong since I fixed all the problems.  The amp transmitted ok now, but the tubes were not being cut off completely.  Checked with the owner to see if he recalls seeing an current draw in standby.  Says he did not see anything in CW which he uses most of the time.  On CW the meter barely moved but on SSB it was 40ma.  My tube anodes got red after about 10 minutes.  He did say that he thought the tubes were running hot.  Turns out the RF SHOP guy made a wiring error on the QSK board.  And although the amp did transmit the tubes were always drawing current in stand by.  I have to correct the wiring error and I am sure it will be OK.  I went crazy trying to figure why this was happening because the guy said the amp worked fine prior to the turn on after a year.  Seems like he never relaized in 7 years that the tubes were not completely shut off.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:00 PM »

Turns out the RF SHOP guy made a wiring error on the QSK board.  And although the amp did transmit the tubes were always drawing current in stand by.  I have to correct the wiring error and I am sure it will be OK.
Lou -

I have read a few comments about RF Shop on eHam.net and other amateur boards.
Shop is operated by Randy, NT8N in Hamilton, OH.
http://www.genosaircooled.com/nt8n.htm

I missed the Ten Tec 425 discussion, BUT I am very aware of that model.
... Just skimmed that thread -- lot of work!

Be well.  
I need to get out your way later this year,
it's been too long since I have been in New England.
Greg, w9gb
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 07:38:30 PM by W9GB » Logged
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:09:26 AM »

It's funny  I have never heard of the RF SHOP until about a month ago when an SB-220 came in for 6 meter conversion.  The owner said it had the Harbach soft key and soft start installed by them. When it arrived I began to look at it expecting to see these mods.  Instead what I saw was a homebrew perf board clone of the Harbach mods which was a poor excuse for them. I removed them and replaced them with the real thing.  Seeing it and the 922 that is here now, I am not impressed with the work.
XF3PAS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »

Hello you all  I got and put the Capacitor bank  form harbach electronics , and  the Softh start  unit
softh start is a most  in  able to save  your transformer
the amp is working like a champ  with the Original 3400 tubes

thanks to all the replay in this topic

Albert XF3PAS
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »

Hello you all  I got and put the Capacitor bank  form harbach electronics , and  the Softh start  unit

Albert XF3PAS

Glad it is working for you Albert. Have Fun!

Roland AH6RR
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 05:54:48 AM »

Albert XF3PAS

I did basically the same on my MKII but used the original diode board just replaced the diodes and homebrewed the cap/bleeder board about 5 or 6 years ago, still running great at full output with 3-400's. Works great on the WARC bands since it doesn't have tuned inputs and my FT1000MP handles the non tuned input s just fine. What rig do you use it with?
XF3PAS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

Hi  WA8UEG

I am using the Icom 756 no pro , the internal antenna tuner   do the  Job for the  no tune imput form the Swam

still running  As A Champ 

Best Regards
Alberto XF3PAS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: