Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fake Palm Tree Low Bander  (Read 6666 times)
KU7I

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »

Got this idea from a stealth cell phone tower in San Diego. It was in a Ralph's grocery store parking lot.....it took a minute but I realized what I was looking at while waiting for the wife in the store was a FAKE tree that was actually a cell phone tower. I did not even think anyone did this....heck.....I never even thought of this but the idea is genius. I wonder if it is possible to BUILD a fake BIG palm tree vertical? Something that would get set into a concrete base like a tower BUT it is actually a low band vertical....the whole thing radiates....like a full 1/4 wave on 75 meters?Huh?? Or is this fantasy? Has this been discussed before?

Lane
Ku7i
JH1JCM
US Naval Hopsital
Yokosuka Japan
Forward Deployed to Serve the Fleet!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »

Seen this done with fake Pine (Christmass) trees up North!  Just a wire up the middle, with radials at the base.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:52:26 AM »

You could hide a cap hat in the branches. In fact, forget the "fake" and just put in a real one with a wire running up the side. Put some standoffs in and match the color of the tree and it should be very stealth.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »

Many of the local cell towers are painted to look like the surrounding 150'+ Douglas
Fir trees.  The branches aren't as well modeled, but most folks don't look at the
tops of trees in a critical manner.

But if you have enough tall trees to disguise it in among, you can just hang a wire
over them instead.
W0MT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »

At the top of one of the ski runs at Winter Park in Colorado is a cell tower that looks like a pine tree. I skied that run many times before I realized it was fake. If you contacted some of the cell phone service providers they might tell where they got the tree.
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:13:46 PM »

Larsen: http://utilitycamo.com/products/monopalm/
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »

At the top of one of the ski runs at Winter Park in Colorado is a cell tower that looks like a pine tree. I skied that run many times before I realized it was fake. If you contacted some of the cell phone service providers they might tell where they got the tree.

I know that "tree" well. It's actually much larger than any lodgepole pine I've ever seen, and if you go up to the top in the summertime you'll see a few branches that have fallen off laying next to it. They're actually about 25' long.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:17:45 PM »

Back in the 1990's, near the Raleigh-Durham Airport on I-40, that was a fake tree cellphone tower.  Only problem was that it was about 20 or 30 feet above the grove of trees!

A while back, QST had an article about a 2m antenna hid in a fake tree flower pot on somebody's balcony.

Randy Ka4nma
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »

I'd love to have a fake palm tree antenna here in Michigan!  My neighbors would just have one more reason to avoid me.   Grin Cheesy Shocked
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »

I'd love to have a fake palm tree antenna here in Michigan!  My neighbors would just have one more reason to avoid me.   Grin Cheesy Shocked

Put a few pink flamingos under it!
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

Those fake palm trees are wild! My guess is that they are pretty darn expensive for residential use. Around here (the subtropics of the San Francisco Bay Area) palm trees are abundant. I have friends who love palm trees and have back yards full of them. In the right environment you could plant a small palm at reasonable cost and run a piece of wire up it. It wouldn't be too long before your 10 meter vertical palm antenna would work pretty well on 20, 30 or 40 meters. Your 80 or 160 palm vertical would be somewhat more of a commitment. Around here folks with more money than brains can have mature trees, including palms, transplanted into their yards. It's not cheap, but as I mentioned, the fake palms are so expensive that they don't list the price on the website.

I'd like to see a compact two-element yagi disguised as a pair of airborne turkey vultures, but that's another story entirely.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »

And I suppose that to care & feed such a thing you would use the same fertilizer used on an antenna farm, along with dehydrated water?  Cheesy Grin
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »

It's still there, though the trees have gotten a little bigger. Still sticks out like a sore thumb IMHO. There is a similar "tree" along I-25 in Colorado as you come to the top of Monument Hill between Denver and Colorado Springs.

Dave

Back in the 1990's, near the Raleigh-Durham Airport on I-40, that was a fake tree cellphone tower.  Only problem was that it was about 20 or 30 feet above the grove of trees!

A while back, QST had an article about a 2m antenna hid in a fake tree flower pot on somebody's balcony.

Randy Ka4nma
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: