Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much would you pay for a J-38 key?  (Read 9707 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »

I bought a key that looks very much like that the J38 pictured , but of brass construction with a  shorting key at a ham fest for $5.
What is the fascination that would cause someone to pay $300+ dollars for one?
Besides you can send faster/cleaner cw using paddles...

Some of the straight key guys are hard to listen to. Sometimes I think they should be required to pass a test on one before they are allowed to use a straight key on the air!  Grin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 08:17:37 AM by AC2EU » Logged

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »

Re: AC2EU

Ever listen to some paddle or bug users on the air?, forget about testing,it should be illegal. Grin
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »

Re: AC2EU

Ever listen to some paddle or bug users on the air?, forget about testing,it should be illegal. Grin

Well at least the dits and dahs are even with the electronic keyers...  Grin
To tell you the truth, I may be guilty of  some CW crimes, myself!   Shocked

PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

Hi to all

How much I would pay for such a bug depends mostly on the condition it is in.

And for all bug users, they are like Mick Jagger , sometimes uglyness has its own beauty
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »

Hi to all

How much I would pay for such a bug depends mostly on the condition it is in.

And for all bug users, they are like Mick Jagger , sometimes uglyness has its own beauty

Grin
Jos, the J38 is a straight key made in a hurry  like 19 set and so on. It is really crap quality, the only key that is worse I have ever seen is some toy used for scouting.

Bob
N6GND

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 02:47:14 PM »

Then there's the J-37. I've got one. I put a Navy-type knob on it. It works. It was cheap.

"J-37 keys are small, light, and tough as nails. Their size and construction make them an excellent choice for a backup or portable key. Many people think that leaf springs, which are used on the J-37's, have better mechanical characteristics than coil springs (which are used on keys like the J-38 and Speed-X hand keys) and therefore prefer the J-37 keys."

http://k6ix.net/J37Keys.html
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »

I have never seen one in the original box, that might have something to do with the high price? Most I've seen were floating around in a junk box, etc.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 10:02:41 AM »

Hi All

So J-38 is a hand key.
Max prize abt 20 Euros.
I can buy NOS Chech keys for this prize and they are realy well build.
They are flame proof
Sometimes these Chech keys are still wrapped in original paper and conservation oil inside.
At the plugs you can see they were never connected.
I still save a piece of this paper with stock number in my Chech army key.

Also you can find Junker keys in very good condx for abt 25 Euros.
And you can find Russian flame proof keys at abt 25 Euro,s.

I thought a J38 it was a bug like the Lionel or Vibroplex war bug.

I do have a Junker a Chech key and a Lorenz Key and some british or US straight key and a Japanese Tyco remake of a US WW2 key.
I almost never use them.
Only the very old and damaged straight key I inhareted from PZ1AP is sometimes used in sake of remembering him.
Always use the Paddles or the Vibroplex, straight keys is to hard working at a to slow speed hihi.
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 06:00:14 AM »

Oh come on, that has to be a bogus sale. Nobody can be that stupid!!!! I think $40 to $50 for one in very good condition. I see them on the ham swap sites all the time. Has did Ebay moron ever heard of eham, qrz or qth?
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:42 AM »

PS, I've seen junk sellers give their stuff away as recently when I was able to purchase a mint condition Brown Brothers paddle and electronic keyer of $25. The lady was a junk seller and did not list it by the correct name and I ended up being the only bidder. This Ebay seller's items are not of a particular genre but just a combination of old junk. Funny how he was able to list this old cw key and hit a home run selling it for ten times its value. Don't trust Ebay and will never trust Ebay. I prefer to do business with real hams that I can pick up the phone and call them if I have a question.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »

This photo confirms my recollection that J-38s could be bought for 98 cents, at least at Walter Ashe Radio here. They went to $1.98 in the late 1950s... my first brush with inflation! 
http://k6ix.net/J-38/Types/J-38-10-8F.jpg

IK0YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »

It is a very nice key to start out, but no more than 20€. With enough luck, you can get a swedish long lever key. That would be a great investment.

73 Carlo

Download Zen and the Art Of Radiotelegraphy free in PDF format here:

http://www.qsl.net/ik0ygj/enu/index.html

Now in 4 languages: Italian, English, German, French  
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:47 PM »

I now know why the little J-38 went for so much. I cried when I read this amazing story and still tear up every time I read it.

The story goes like this; The call scratched on the bottom of the key belonged to dear old gramps or as he was lovingly referred to as the crazy old coot who interfered with all the crystal sets in the neighborhood. Boy did all the neighbors hate gramps when they tried listening to Blondie, Dick Tracy, Gasoline Alley, The Gumps, Li'l Abner, Little Orphan Annie, Popeye the Sailor, Red Ryder, Reg'lar Fellers, Terry and the Pirates and Tillie the Toiler and all the time gramps was 594 (the tone was terrible on his homebrew 6L6 transmitter.

This was granddaddy's cw key that he begrudgingly had to hock to get a gallon of gas and buy the family something to eat during the dust bowl days on their ride to California in their beat up Model T together with the Henry Fonda and the Joads family. Now, grand sonny turned out to be an internet start up multi-billionaire who has been searching for gramps old key for the last 40 years. He now comes across it on efraud and pays $331.99 for it knowing that it was the stupidest thing he has ever done but since gramps who is now 157 years old is and on his deathbed he wants to surprise him with the old J-38 before he sends his last dah dit dah dit dah dah dit dah. Besides, the key still had the original box and we know that paying and additional $280 for "THE BOX" is a bargain. WE also have to take into account that sonny had to fight off 4 other morons who did not want the J-38 but were just bidding for "THE BOX."

Now, this is story that will add another $300 to the price. I have another really nice J-38 any takers for $631.00?
K7NHB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »

I think you are missing it - most likely the $331.99 J-38 came with a manual.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: