Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PROPAGATION REPORTING  (Read 2773 times)
W6PJJ

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:59 PM »

Is it fair to say that the ARRL Propagation Reports provide adequate information for the Amateur Radio Operator and SWL enthusiast? With so many competing sites on the Web offering Space WX... one wonders if using just one source like the ARRL is adequate. And, maybe there is even a Propagation Prediction Application that utilizes daily info to present to the user via the Computer. Recommendations and Information Welcome. ??

73's

Don W6PJJ
 Cool
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:18:24 PM by W6PJJ » Logged
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:33:39 AM »

Don, I imagine the answer is "it depends."   Depends on what you want to know and how you let it guide you.  The ARRL's report (Thanks, Todd!) is all I ever look at.  But I also don't let it rule my life.  I guess it's helpful, but as AD6KA said in another thread on eham recently, there's no substitute for *listening*.   I'll tune across a band listening carefully; even when a casual sweep of the band sounds dead, listening carefully often brings up gems.  And I'll often call CQ a few times, even if propagation is "poor" for that band and I'm not hearing anything.  You never know.

Last year the little band/prop summary said 10 meters was "poor" all day, but with some careful listening I worked a ZL with 5 watts from my "back yard portable" setup.  :-)  If I  only listened to the official reports, I wouldn't have tried 10m that afternoon.  :-)  So:  "It depends."
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »

Don:  I compare propagation predictions to the weather predictions.  To quote most weather news anchors, "There is a 50% chance of rain, snow, sleet, sunny day....."  (Pick one)

4RD summation will be the best answer you'll get here!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »

You can see what's open and who is working where here: http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=14&ML=M&Map=W2L&DXC=N&HF=S&GL=N

Click on the band of interest.

Predictions don't do anything for me; real-time activity plots do.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »

Steve:  THAT'S the site I've been looking for!!!  Although I never knew it existed.   Cheesy

I read and re-read all of the prop charts and predictions and can't remember what is what and so just go listen. 

Those "conact maps" look very interesting.  The website: http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php
Lan=E&Frec=14&ML=M&Map=W2L&DXC=N&HF=S&GL=N

is VERY interesting and should keep me busy for quite some time.  Many thanks!!

Al - K8AXW

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »

I agree, "predictions" aren't bad but "actuals" are better.

Even the real-time m.u.f. maps updated every few minutes by NOAA only show what the ionosphere is doing, but not what hams are actually working.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 08:23:17 AM »

I use the predictor on this website:

Click where your QTH is, click on NOW and it'll give you the propogation based on current A/K/SFI and time. You can also get it to show every hour for the next 24 hrs based on current A/K/SFI.
W6PJJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:48 PM »

You can see what's open and who is working where here: http://www.dxmaps.com/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=14&ML=M&Map=W2L&DXC=N&HF=S&GL=N

Click on the band of interest.

Predictions don't do anything for me; real-time activity plots do.

Thanks for the thread...I looked into DXMAPS, very interesting and packed full of information for the beginner or the master. Good Stuff there.

TNX AGN es 73's

Don W6PJJ Cool
W6PJJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:47 PM »

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the threads and information you have supplied.

73's

Don W6PJJ Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: