Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minimum sized rotor for Cushcraft MA5B  (Read 2826 times)
AF5CC

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2013, 07:21:32 PM »

I am going to be getting a Cushcraft MA5B soon-wherever I go pick it up from the seller-and hoping to get it up in the next few months.  Now I need a rotor for it.  Would like to avoid spending too much on a rotor that would be overkill for this sized of a beam.  What would be about the minimum sized rotor that would handle the MA5B with a little room to spare?

73 John AF5CC
AJ0Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »

I use a Yaesu G-450A on a mast with the mast adapter. It has with stood 60+ mph winds with no problems for close to two years.
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »

I've just got an old TV rotator turning mine.
Michael, W4HIJ
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »

Whatever you do, don't get a newer TV rotor--make sure it is a good quality older unit.  Most of the newer ones have plastic gearing that will strip out if too much of a load is put on them.  If the rotor is a good one that would turn a long log-periodic TV antenna, it may do OK for the MA5B.  
W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »

Whatever you do, don't get a newer TV rotor--make sure it is a good quality older unit.  Most of the newer ones have plastic gearing that will strip out if too much of a load is put on them.  If the rotor is a good one that would turn a long log-periodic TV antenna, it may do OK for the MA5B.  
Yeah I should probably have stressed that my rotor is an older one. It's called a Gemini OR-360 and it has metal gearing. It also has a position pot. I've got a homebrew rotor box controlling it and can steer it by PC using a program that interfaces with various logging software. Unfortunately they don't make these rotors anymore and they are hard to find used.
Michael, W4HIJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: