Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vatican ops and a new pope?  (Read 4693 times)
WA4IIF

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:38 AM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a special events station operate in the Vatican to celebrate the election of a new pope? Just saying. :-)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »

I contacted the Vatican several months ago. The OP said he would upload to LoTW. Nothin yet. I am getting anxious.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »

Wouldn't it be great to have a special events station operate in the Vatican to celebrate the election of a new pope? Just saying. :-)

Francesco IK0VFC is the guy you want to mention that too......I don't recall if they did a sp event station when Ben 16 came on board, but there was a special callsign from Vatican station commemorating the anniversary of Radio Vaticanna a couple of years ago.......Viva Papa!.....

V
KA3NRX
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 10:59:14 AM »

I would think the perfect time for a station to operate from the Vatican would be during the conclave, or after the new pope has been elected. A special event station commemorating the election might not be a bad idea.

The Vatican will be packed with tourists and reporters at those times and I don't know if that throws a monkey wrench into the idea but I agree with you. It's packed with tourists once a week when the pope says Mass from St. Peter's sqaure.  I got within 20 feet of Pope Benedict and it was quite a thrill.

Maybe one of the Italian members of this forum can comment on the idea. I only have the Vatican worked on 2 bands but no LoTW.

Chris/NU1O

K0AP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:06:08 PM »

I would think the perfect time for a station to operate from the Vatican would be during the conclave, or after the new pope has been elected. A special event station commemorating the election might not be a bad idea.

The Vatican will be packed with tourists and reporters at those times and I don't know if that throws a monkey wrench into the idea but I agree with you. It's packed with tourists once a week when the pope says Mass from St. Peter's sqaure.  I got within 20 feet of Pope Benedict and it was quite a thrill.

Maybe one of the Italian members of this forum can comment on the idea. I only have the Vatican worked on 2 bands but no LoTW.

Chris/NU1O

I have confirmed both HV4NAC and HV0A via LOTW. Qsl manager for these two stations is IK0FVC.

73 Dragan K0AP
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »

Chris/NU1O

So are they going to let the magic smoke out of their radios when the new Pope is elected just like the conclave will???

Sorry for the irreverent Lutheran humor...

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 06:41:25 PM »

The Vatican operator seems to spend most of his time working Italians... A lot like SMOM.
I do have HV0A confirmed on LotW, but only worked him because a kind Russian told him I was calling. The contact was made easily on 40m, after the Europeans parted like the Red Sea.
Italy is easy to work from here, confirmed on 9 bands, but these "specials" are made very difficult.
Maybe if Cardinal Pell is elected, it will be easier for Australia?
It would be nice to see some more activity from Vatican City.
Luke VK3HJ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:59:22 AM »

Chris/NU1O

So are they going to let the magic smoke out of their radios when the new Pope is elected just like the conclave will???

You haven't fully experienced the ham radio world until you burn up a radio (like I did in my infancy in the 80's)......Don't think the smoke from it signaled the future of a major world entity like the Catholic Church though.......only that I needed more experience putzing around with stuff I should not be putzing around with...... Shocked Roll Eyes......AMEN to that!

V
KA3NRX
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »

Chris/NU1O

You haven't fully experienced the ham radio world until you burn up a radio (like I did in my infancy in the 80's)......Don't think the smoke from it signaled the future of a major world entity like the Catholic Church though.......only that I needed more experience putzing around with stuff I should not be putzing around with...... Shocked Roll Eyes......AMEN to that!

V
KA3NRX

I smoked a balun once does that count?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:37:57 AM »

I smoked a balun once does that count?

REPLY: Only if the balun was on top of the Sistine Chapel..... Cool.....anyway, as far as Vatican activity goes, like I said before, you guys would have to get in touch with IK0FVC...not sure what kind of life sked he has, but it's worth a shot.....don't know if you knew this, but the Vatican station is not located within the walls of the actual Vatican....it's located in the North American Potifical College which is just southeast of the Vatican walls (still considered Vatican property).....Always has been too, even back during the HV3SJ days......
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »

Hmmmm, I smoked marijuana once, but didn't inhale!!

Does that count?

73 de Jim - KE8G
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 06:11:20 AM »

I think it's a great idea and I hope that the conclave lasts long enough to thin out the pileups.  I still need 3A, 1A, HV to finish Europe. 

Of course I plan on working SV2/A when The Intrepid Group announces their 2013 trip soon.   Cheesy 
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

V
KA3NRX

You should try shorting out a 15 amp power supply someday. My girlfriend at the time thought a bomb had gone off and I was seriously hurt. Only my pride was hurt!  It sounded like an M-80 going off but naturally it was indoors. It jumped a good distance off the table and it was a heavy sucker so that required a lot of force. The filter caps all blew and I had a lot of paper and other filler material inside the PS. A local tech did repair it and at a very reasonable price but this was 20 years ago. I still have it and one day I will use it to power all my accessories.

Chris/NU1O
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:31:40 AM »

I think it's a great idea and I hope that the conclave lasts long enough to thin out the pileups.  I still need 3A, 1A, HV to finish Europe. 

Of course I plan on working SV2/A when The Intrepid Group announces their 2013 trip soon.   Cheesy 

There's a rumor I haven't heard yet. Hmmm

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

HV0A is now spotted on 40m.  The conclave has begun.  What a perfect timing Wink

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: