Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mic wiring, Kenwood and Yaesu  (Read 1643 times)
KD0NFY

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »

Here's an odd one.  Can I wire a mic (Shure 522) and have it work on an FT-101E and a TS-520S without re-wiring it?  I have the TS-520S and I'm considering buying the FT-101E just because I like old radios.  If I could use one mic on both without having to re-wire that would be a bonus. 

Thanks!
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

Same 4 pin mic plug.  Different wiring configuration.

Dick  AD4U
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »

hi Harry,

how about short pigtails, one wired for the kenwood and another for Yaesu?

You can leave it attached to the radio and just swap the mic as needed.

73 james
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »

A "PS" to my previous post......

As a boat anchor guy I also have a mint or a restored Kenwood TS-520S, Yaesu FT-101E, Heathkit SB-401, Heathkit SB-101, and a Heathkit SB-102 to name just a few.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, do as I did.  I carefully changed two wires on the Kenwood TS-520S mic connector to match the mic connector wiring configuration in the Yaesu.  This was easily done.

In all three Heathkits I replaced the rather rare 2 pin mic connector with the same 4 pin mic connector used in the Kenwood and the Yaesu.  I rewired them to match the Yaesu.  Only 2 of the 4 pins are used.  The 4 pin mic connector fits the hole in the Heathkit front panel perfectly.

I would not recommend doing this to a mint Collins KWM-2A or a similar rig.  However I do not consider any of thse rigs to be irrreplaceable antiques, so I did not mind modifying them.

DOCUMENT THE CHANGES IN THE MANUAL.

If I ever want to return any of these rigs to original condition, it can be easily and quickly done.

Now I can use one mic on all five rigs.

Dick  AD4U
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 06:48:54 AM »

hi Harry,

how about short pigtails, one wired for the kenwood and another for Yaesu?

You can leave it attached to the radio and just swap the mic as needed.

73 james

Yep!
KD0NFY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 07:43:22 AM »

Great ideas, thanks!
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 01:47:40 PM »

rewire on radio or the other to make them match.  Look inside and see which one is easier to access from behind the front panel first.  That may affect your decision on which one to change.  Also document it somewhere in the manual for the radio you change in case you sell it.

Simple,

Greg
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »

rewire on radio or the other to make them match.  Look inside and see which one is easier to access from behind the front panel first.  That may affect your decision on which one to change.  Also document it somewhere in the manual for the radio you change in case you sell it.

Simple,

Greg

This is not a bad idea if you keep the radios. But I have gotten radios that were rewired from the inside and no one told me. I found out the hard way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: