Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earning Honor Roll Using Others Stations  (Read 2844 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

The beauty of the DXCC program is that they haven't legislated every conceivable situation when it comes to actually working the DX.  They've left the fine print for determining what counts as an entity. 

If you don't think you should be able to work DX from any station other than the one you built, that's fine.  Don't.

If you think it doesn't matter what station you work the DX from as long as it complies with the rules, i.e., same entity, that's fine.  Go for it.

If you want to limit yourself to working DXCC with only calls that end in "Z", that's fine.  Good Luck!

It's your award.  You make it what you want it to be.

Enjoy the chase!  (Wherever you chase it from....)

I like this the best. Just makes too much sense to me.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »

You are quite right... the dropping of that requirement has certainly added a lot of confusion; especially when trying to figure out where the spotting station on a cluster is actually located!  Just because they have an 8 call, surely doesn't mean they are in OH, MI, or WV!!

No more confusing than trying to figure out if the W8 spotter is in the easternmost tip of West Virginia (practically a W3) or the western most tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (practically a W0!)  :-)

Or a W5 just over the border from AL compared to a W5 just over the border from AZ...more than 1000 miles apart!

There is free software available that knows the location of every station issued a license by the FCC: state, and grid square (zipcode centroid). I know it's fun to play "ain't it awful?", but solutions to this "problem" have been available for many years.

Dave, AA6YQ
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »

what ever the technology involved, is a step in the direction of counting a contact using a cell phone.

Well CQ magazine used to offer an award for using Echolink to make "Pseudo-QSOs".  Not sure if they still have that one or not.

John AF5CC
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:16 AM »

Once a sizable number of stations subscribe to the remote services, the little guys may be repeatedly competing against the same big gun stations, as guys log in and out and cycle through to work the tough ones. Having been privileged to do CW contests from W2RE, which is being remoted now, I can only say I hope that the newbies who may subscribe to the service keep all that gain on the split frequency and off the DX frequency!!  You really do hear almost everything on those antennas, and you get heard; however I do not agree that necessarily translates into surefire QSOs.  It does make your odds excellent.
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 08:05:19 AM »

The beauty of the DXCC program is that they haven't legislated every conceivable situation when it comes to actually working the DX.  They've left the fine print for determining what counts as an entity. 

If you don't think you should be able to work DX from any station other than the one you built, that's fine.  Don't.

If you think it doesn't matter what station you work the DX from as long as it complies with the rules, i.e., same entity, that's fine.  Go for it.

If you want to limit yourself to working DXCC with only calls that end in "Z", that's fine.  Good Luck!

It's your award.  You make it what you want it to be.

Enjoy the chase!  (Wherever you chase it from....)

My perspective perfectly and succinctly stated.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: