Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Thoughts on the Future of the DXCC Program  (Read 4725 times)
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »

I think DXCC is very obtainable. For just about everyone.  My 160m windom, my main antenna until last fall gave me over 500 challenge points in a year. And that was with using an Icom 7000 barefoot.

Technology has a lot to do with it. LoTW is a huge benefit and even a "deaf" rig like the 7000 is miles ahead of the rigs of 25 years ago. I don't think we will ever have the DXCC program be as hard as it was 50 years ago. But since ham radio is a hobby of technology we need to find a balance of embracing it and still retaining the "feel" of the award as it was back in the day.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »

Oh and many days I would work DX on that windom and find that a good part of the long half on the ground.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 02:24:33 PM »

Just FYI, I'm up to 245 entities on my windom. More important  - I've worked 36 zones - missing 22, 23, 24, and (of course) 26. The windom is about 40' high and the power used was 4 to 5 watts.
On 80M I've worked 105 countries in 21 zones working as far as VQ9 and UA to the east and ZL8 to the west, once again with 4 to 5 watts.
I started using the antenna in the spring of 2004 and use it in association with my beam.

But I think 2 windoms perpendicular to each other would be an excellent system if a directive antenna is unavailable. Certainly with 100 watts or more (or a lot more) someone would do quite well. I am also considering ease of installation (assuming you have the supports and the space), the fact that its a multiband (80-10), and the system would be very cost effective.

I guess I am not surprised that others have had some great success with wire antennas.

I know I'm a bit off topic, but I just wanted to agree with those that believe you can be a DX'er without a beam. It may be a bit more difficult and paying attention to propagation helps but its not the end of the world if you don't have a beam.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 03:49:12 AM »

Just FYI, I'm up to 245 entities on my windom. More important  - I've worked 36 zones - missing 22, 23, 24, and (of course) 26. The windom is about 40' high and the power used was 4 to 5 watts.
On 80M I've worked 105 countries in 21 zones working as far as VQ9 and UA to the east and ZL8 to the west, once again with 4 to 5 watts.
I started using the antenna in the spring of 2004 and use it in association with my beam.

But I think 2 windoms perpendicular to each other would be an excellent system if a directive antenna is unavailable. Certainly with 100 watts or more (or a lot more) someone would do quite well. I am also considering ease of installation (assuming you have the supports and the space), the fact that its a multiband (80-10), and the system would be very cost effective.

I guess I am not surprised that others have had some great success with wire antennas.

I know I'm a bit off topic, but I just wanted to agree with those that believe you can be a DX'er without a beam. It may be a bit more difficult and paying attention to propagation helps but its not the end of the world if you don't have a beam.

Mine is a 160m windom 90' by 180' (approx). It is in the woods behind my house and is reasonably straight. The apex is right at 30' but this spring I am going to try and get it to another branch at 70'. To me playing around with antennas is so much fun.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »

Mine is a 160m windom 90' by 180' (approx). It is in the woods behind my house and is reasonably straight. The apex is right at 30' but this spring I am going to try and get it to another branch at 70'. To me playing around with antennas is so much fun.

That is one  loooong antenna? I would think it would really kick a** at 70'.
 Mine is the Carolina Short 80 version - 100' across the top and 2 16' vertical sections at each end. The top is 34'/66'.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »

Yea and it was put up on a 95 degree day with all the leaves on the trees.

I almost ended up in the hospital with heat exhaustion. The silly things we do for our hobby.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »

NU1O wrote:
I'd like to see how many have worked 5 band WAZ as compared to Honor Roll.  5 band WAZ is harder than working the 318 countries I have worked and I think it's probably harder than HR.

I was curious about the same thing, so I did some counting from the online listings provided by ARRL and CQ.  Here's what I came up with:

Mixed DXCC Honor Roll: Approximately 4335
5B WAZ (all 200 zones): 897
160 WAZ (all 40 zones): approximately 199

Chuck  NI0C
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: