Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me please  (Read 1810 times)
KT4DLB

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:32:27 PM »

I have a Yaseu FT- 897D hooked up to a Gr5V on the HF and Diamond X-50 on 2 mters and 70 cm. Turn everythng on but no sound out of the radio at all. Any suggestion on what to do?

THanks

Lamar
KK4NZO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

You have the RF gain turned "up?"  You have the SQUELCH turned "off?"

AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

New radio?  Used but new to you?  Has it ever worked before?  Are you seeing anything on the meter?  Check menu item 80 to see if RF Gain or Squelch is selected.  If Squelch, turn the Squelch knob all the way counter-clockwise.  If RF Gain is selected turn the rf gain knob (same as squelch knob) all the way clockwise.  

Sorry, I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I just don't know where you have been and where you are at in terms of knowing the radio and operating it before now.    If you don't have any static noise, something very basic is wrong.  I don't suspect a problem with the audio circuits in the radio.  It is probably an operational problem.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »

Try the headphone jack and see if you hear anything there. 
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:41 PM »

I have a Yaseu FT- 897D hooked up to a Gr5V on the HF and Diamond X-50 on 2 mters and 70 cm. Turn everythng on but no sound out of the radio at all. Any suggestion on what to do?

THanks

Lamar
KK4NZO

Lamar:  Please give us a tad more information about what appears to be working on the FT-897 so we can help you.

Lee
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »

Lamar, even though it's considered un-American, sometimes ya gotta read the book! First just look for the diagrams on how the speaker or headphones, mic, etc. is hooked up. Make sure they're hooked up right without disconnected or shorted wires.

Now if you still don't have any noise then you'll have to read how the radio works, especially if it operates from menus.

5QB is asking a lot of obvious questions because you haven't provided any information at all.  

KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 08:35:23 AM »

It is new and have the headphone jack and no sounn
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »

Do double check the squelch and RF gain settings, as described in the manual. They are the most likely cause of no sound. Also disconnect all accessories - morse key, external speaker, computer CAT control, PTT footswitch - if you have any. Accidentally having the radio in TX mode is another sure way to have no sound on RX. Let us know how you get on.
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »

It is new and have the headphone jack and no sounn

Like AXW suggested, the answer is in the manual, but perhaps you have a defective new radio. UPS or Fedx may have been playing football with the package...
Two other possibilities are that if the knob is programmed for squelch and is in the clockwise position, then there will be no sound. The obvious one is the AF gain...
Put it in cw and keyer mode without break-in set (see manual) and try keying the unit. You should hear the tone, without transmitting.

Do you have an s meter reading as if there is reception?

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

Does the mutifunction led glow green,indicating the rig is in receive mode? If it does,does the s meter show any indication?  Do you have a headphone jack plugged in? If you remove it do you hear anything?
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »

Maybe try a master CPU reset?
Page 63 of the manual:
[HOME] + POWER on:
CPU master reset for all memories and default menu settings.

GL ES 73, Ken  AD6KA
KT4DLB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

Let me please be more cleaner. I'm a new hambie and was trying to get my station set up before I went in the hospital to have a total knee replacement and was working to have it ready to use while I was mending. As for the radio it is a new Yaseu FT-897D with new GR5V to work 6- 40 meters and Diamond X-50 to work 2 meters and 70 cm. I also am using West Mountain Rigblaster Plug n play for CW. I got everything connected and ready to try about 2030 hours Tuesday night but no luck! Got home yesterday evening and hopefully maybe next week, I will try any suggestions possible and I did try using the earphone jack to no avail. And I admit I skimmed over the directions. I assure you I will be studying that right along with studying for my General Class  to hope to take the test next month.

Thanks agian to everyone.

73's Lamar
KK4NZO
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »

Disconnect everything apart from power and antenna. This includes the mic! You can then check through controls and settings knowing that there is absolutely nothing else that can cause a problem.

Once you are receiving, then add the mic. If alls ok (make a few voice QSOs), then bit by bit connect the rest up, checking alls well as you go.

If at any stage it stops working, then you know that what you have just done is the issue, and its an easy matter then to start checking what went wrong (likely the wrong jack inserted etc). But if you do everything first and then switch on, you have no idea where to start.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: